North Caledonian League Expansion

Robert James

20 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

To be honest, I was surprised when KLB were mentioned as the west coast side, my initial thought was perhaps a reformed Lochbroom moving to winter football.

Precisely my reaction too.

Earlier this season I saw Lewis & Harris using the Ullapool School 3G to play Invergordon in one of the NCL cups. The expectation is that Lochbroom will reform and play out of there. Could be either/both summer/winter football. Ullapool U17s play on it on winter-season Sundays in the Highland League U17s North.

4 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

There's been some suggestions on other threads that the non-licenced route into the cup might be being removed altogether, not sure how true this is, mind.

The rumour is that its being proposed for the next SFA AGM. A bit like the previous proposal to remove the Junior spots which never passed the vote. This time there's so many licenced clubs its probably seen as a way to cutting their cloth.

To me its a bit disappointing if it passes. Not for the Juniors but in the other ways they've opened up the Cup a little with the Amateur Cup winners getting ot enter and the South & East Cup Winners Shield which guarantees a non-licenced participate but one that will be unable to repeat consecutive years.

1 hour ago, LeedsPhil said:

Precisely my reaction too.

Earlier this season I saw Lewis & Harris using the Ullapool School 3G to play Invergordon in one of the NCL cups. The expectation is that Lochbroom will reform and play out of there. Could be either/both summer/winter football. Ullapool U17s play on it on winter-season Sundays in the Highland League U17s North.

That was my thinking as well, Ullapool itself seems to have a pretty active setup in terms of youth teams and the surrounding area is a decent catchment. The facilities at the High School look excellent.

Not been to Morefield for years, but I saw a picture of the rusted and broken goalposts a few months ago. Shame as it was a nice ground with an enclosed feel from the trees and embankment.

On 03/02/2020 at 09:03, Dev said:

There's mention on another thread of Alness Utd returning next season and two additional clubs joining.

Anyone know who the two extra clubs may be? 

On 03/02/2020 at 09:28, FairWeatherFan said:

Two Inverness based. Or one Inverness & one Kinlochbervie (haven't checked FN but think that's right).

Rumoured to be either Loch Ness or Maryburgh apparently. 

Scourie joining the North Caley, would be an excellent addition to the league. A beautiful area, and a new ground for me to visit.

I hope that your post about Alness United returning to the North Caley next season, comes true. They have been missed.  Also, their Under 17 team is taking the Highland youth league (north) by storm this season.  

21 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

I'm not sure where this idea they change their name each season came from, but they're always Kinlochbervie! (Or KLB)

Apologise, it's a Scourieite who told me all this (is that what they're called?).  He's a Rangers fan though so can obviously never be fully trusted.

On 03/02/2020 at 09:03, Dev said:

There's mention on another thread of Alness Utd returning next season and two additional clubs joining.

Anyone know who the two extra clubs may be? 

Yes, I've heard the rumour.  If none of the existing clubs resign at the end of the season, the NCL could like this for 2020/21 :

Golspie Sutherland

Invergordon

Thurso

Orkney

St Duthus

Halkirk United

Bunillidh Thistle

Inverness Athletic

Bonar Bridge

Alness United                               rejoining ?

Scourie (& 'Kinlochbervie' ?)     new club ?

Loch Ness ('Thistle/United' ?)   new club ?

Based on the  current Highland North (U17's) League table, the following youth clubs could 'graduate' into the North Caley, in the not too distant future  : 

Ullapool

Dingwall

IF the Scottish pyramid is eventually extended, to include the north of Scotland region(s), both the NRJFA  and the NCL could be included. 

Good to see the North Caley has gone the way of the EoS in surviving and expanding as only a few years ago both leagues looked like they were done for. The NCL had 5 teams at one point and the EoS had 11.

Hopefully the SFA will see sense and finally give the league winners a place in the Cup.

10 hours ago, ArabAuslander said:

Good to see the North Caley has gone the way of the EoS in surviving and expanding as only a few years ago both leagues looked like they were done for. The NCL had 5 teams at one point and the EoS had 11.

Hopefully the SFA will see sense and finally give the league winners a place in the Cup.

Yes I agree, and (as the thought of the day)..........even Tier 6.

from Uncle Bob