North Caledonian League Expansion

Robert James

I wonder what this country could have actually achieved had the residents not spent so long wasting their time over the years on league reconstruction chat.

Brexit?

That's a wee joke.

Surprised that when remain were arguing about the complexity of setting up a new trade agreement that they didn’t bring up Scottish football as an example of finding it difficult to get anyone to agree on anything.

• 5 weeks later...
5 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Two Inverness based. Or one Inverness & one Kinlochbervie (haven't checked FN but think that's right).

Funnily enough, I heard yesterday that Scourie/Kinlochbervie had applied to join the league.  Apparently their manager used to be a coach at Rotherham and has really improved them.

15 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Funnily enough, I heard yesterday that Scourie/Kinlochbervie had applied to join the league.  Apparently their manager used to be a coach at Rotherham and has really improved them.

I wasn't sure I remembered the name right and when looking at where it is on a map I was second guessing myself :)

Just now, FairWeatherFan said:

I wasn't sure I remembered the name right and when looking at where it is on a map I was second guessing myself :)

Apparently to keep everyone happy they switch each season from Scourie FC to Kinlochbervie FC!  Though they play in Scourie and most of the players are from there.

23 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Apparently to keep everyone happy they switch each season from Scourie FC to Kinlochbervie FC!  Though they play in Scourie and most of the players are from there.

Stunning wee away day up there... when it’s not horizontal rain!

1 hour ago, Highland Capital said:

It's a beautifully maintained pitch at Scourie. Lovely location as well. 

2 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Thanks.

These two grounds will be providing great excuses for Ground-Hoppers to make visits in consecutive seasons to watch this club at Scourie and at Kinlochbervie.

Christ knows where any new Inverness club(s) would find enough players to field a decent squad. Inverness Athletic were scudded 10-0 by Golspie at the weekend and seem to be in long term decline.

There's also pretty much nowhere for teams at that level to play in Inverness. I suppose Canal Park might be an option after the successful Clach games there.

I take it KLB are going to be running teams in both the NWSAFL and NCL then? Or is this going to be an entirely new side for the NCL? Summer and winter seasons overlapping will limit the available players (although I suppose this is a fairly common problem up here...)

22 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Christ knows where any new Inverness club(s) would find enough players to field a decent squad. Inverness Athletic were scudded 10-0 by Golspie at the weekend and seem to be in long term decline.

There's also pretty much nowhere for teams at that level to play in Inverness. I suppose Canal Park might be an option after the successful Clach games there.

I can't see Canal Park being used regularly for football outwith some Friday games. Too busy on a Saturday with the various Highland RFC teams. There's still the pitches in Farr and North Kessock, plus Kirkhill potentially.

The reason the NCL season starts so late (and finishes so early) is because players are still on duty for summer-league clubs.

KLB haven't played in their own village for quite a few years, so I'm not sure where the rumour of alternating names/pitches comes from - they are now established playing out of Scourie only, so would surely continue just there, competing in both summer and winter football if they wished. It is indeed a great-quality pitch, also used by shinty, and had recently had a smart hall built alongside when I saw a NW Sutherland summer league game there in 2015. On that blue-sky day there weren't many better places in the world to be watching fitba. In the winter it'd be severely exposed to the incoming westerly weather though! 

Edited by LeedsPhil

On 01/01/2020 at 15:19, Top of Meeks Road said:

Surely talk of Golspie one day joining the Highland League is fanciful. Even in Scottish Cup ties the crowd is often on par with the number of players on the pitch plus those in the dug outs! 

im assuming theyre not going to all the expense of installing floodlights just for the craic

20 minutes ago, LeedsPhil said:

The reason the NCL season starts so late (and finishes so early) is because players are still on duty for summer-league clubs.

KLB haven't played in their own village for quite a few years, so I'm not sure where the rumour of alternating names/pitches comes from - they are now established playing out of Scourie only, so would surely continue just there, competing in both summer and winter football if they wished. It is indeed a great-quality pitch, also used by shinty, and had recently had a smart hall built alongside when I saw a NW Sutherland summer league game there in 2015. On that blue-sky day there weren't many better places in the world to be watching fitba. In the winter it'd be severely exposed to the incoming westerly weather though! 

There's still some overlap though in seasons. Not too much an issue, but still there.

Yeah, I'm not sure where this thing about alternating names each season came from, they've always been just KLB.

To be honest, I was surprised when KLB were mentioned as the west coast side, my initial thought was perhaps a reformed Lochbroom moving to winter football.

20 minutes ago, highlandcowden said:

im assuming theyre not going to all the expense of installing floodlights just for the craic

I think there is a risk that if they lose their licence, they'll lose their Scottish Cup place. I wouldn't have though they'd be gearing up for the HFL.

As it stands, the winner of the NCL doesn't qualify as an unlicensed team, unlike the junior region champions and potentially the East and South Leagues champions.

10 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

I think there is a risk that if they lose their licence, they'll lose their Scottish Cup place. I wouldn't have though they'd be gearing up for the HFL.

As it stands, the winner of the NCL doesn't qualify as an unlicensed team, unlike the junior region champions and potentially the East and South Leagues champions.

It's about time whoever wins the NCL are guaranteed a Scottish cup place,not just licensed Golspie.

It's a disgrace the anti pyramid juniors get places but the pro pyramid NCL get nowt apart from as mentioned above licensed Golspie.