North Caledonian League Expansion

Robert James

33 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Sad to see Alness sitting out the season. Hopefully they can get something sorted for next year.

I did wonder what was going on, they didn't enter the North U20 league this season either. Hopefully they'll bounce back once the ground situation is sorted.

12 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

I did wonder what was going on, they didn't enter the North U20 league this season either. Hopefully they'll bounce back once the ground situation is sorted.

Hope they don't go the way of Inverness City. They've actually got an updated Wiki page.

They usually compete in the North Caledonian Football League but from season (2019/20) they entered a period of abeyance after being unable to secure a regular venue for home fixtures. 
Their previous ground in Alness, Dalmore Park, was 'lost' to housing development.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alness_United_F.C.

17 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Hope they don't go the way of Inverness City. They've actually got an updated Wiki page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alness_United_F.C.

They used to play at the park near the river (forget what it's called) before Dalmore Park. There's a pitch at the Academy too. Some options, perhaps.

4 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

They used to play at the park near the river (forget what it's called) before Dalmore Park. There's a pitch at the Academy too. Some options, perhaps.

I was going to joke that from the crime reports in the Courier they might be struggling to find a squad from locals who aren't banged up. I won't though.

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I was going to joke that from the crime reports in the Courier they might be struggling to find a squad from locals who aren't banged up. I won't though.

Might explain why Balintore have been out for so long...

The problem with Alness is that there’s only 3-4 folk who actually put in the hours to make the team happen at all levels for years now. Some really good players around but no one (apart from the same people) are interested  in doing the work in their own time to put the team out. It’s too much to ask the same people to dedicate their entire free time year after year when the rest of the town just aren’t interested in helping.

Obviously losing the park hasn’t help... the old park at the river (Crawl Park) has been pretty much totally lost, changing rooms are long gone and the pitch itself is a broken ankle waiting to happen. I don’t know about the school pitches but they weren’t in the best condition last time I played there either. Apart from that, I can’t think for where else is suitable off the top of my head, apart from Blackrock’s ground in Evanton...

6 hours ago, Spyro said:

The problem with Alness is that there’s only 3-4 folk who actually put in the hours to make the team happen at all levels for years now. Some really good players around but no one (apart from the same people) are interested  in doing the work in their own time to put the team out. It’s too much to ask the same people to dedicate their entire free time year after year when the rest of the town just aren’t interested in helping.

Obviously losing the park hasn’t help... the old park at the river (Crawl Park) has been pretty much totally lost, changing rooms are long gone and the pitch itself is a broken ankle waiting to happen. I don’t know about the school pitches but they weren’t in the best condition last time I played there either. Apart from that, I can’t think for where else is suitable off the top of my head, apart from Blackrock’s ground in Evanton...

Aye, I've heard the two reasons for abeyance were lack of a management team and lack of a park: the HFA in Dingwall was always going to be temporary. Supposedly the plan is to move to the Academy, where the pitches have been upgraded. Hopefully the management/committee side will get sorted and Alness will be back.

56 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

Aye, I've heard the two reasons for abeyance were lack of a management team and lack of a park: the HFA in Dingwall was always going to be temporary. Supposedly the plan is to move to the Academy, where the pitches have been upgraded. Hopefully the management/committee side will get sorted and Alness will be back.

They just needed bodies on the management side of things when I was up there. Guys are spending their entire lives after work running about getting things organised and paying a lot of money out their own pockets to keep it all going, they have their own family’s at home so it must be hard. I was going through my own issues at the time or I would’ve tried to help a bit, I have a cousin that used to play in one of the youth teams but it was always just one person knocking his pan in to make it happen week after week.

It’s such a shame as there is a LOT of very good, keen, young players in the town but not enough adults able/willing to help. Obviously money talks at all levels and that’s where they really struggle

16 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

Grow up. I'm not suppressing your views. You have a habit of posting long-winded posts (like the above) that say nothing that we don't already know, ask questions that have already been answered or pass your opinions off as fact.

We all know about the issues with developing a working pyramid in the North. Perhaps the NCL will be involved. Perhaps something else will appear. Perhaps nothing will ever happen.

However, you coming out with comments like "Nairn and Lossie would get relegated to the NCL" is pure unsubstantiated opinion.

I don't claim to be an expert on North football, but I live up here, watch a lot of it and know a lot of people in the game: senior, junior and amateur (and welfare). I've called you out before for unsubstantiated statements that you've rowed back from. I'm not trying to stifle any debate but clarify it.

I've been a contributor to P&B for a long time, and I can't recall ever having been personally critical of another poster, even when their views and mine are not in accord. That is the essence of debate.

However, your post (above) is absolute drivel, and an insult to your own integrity.  May I politely suggest, that in future, you take a more considered view, before writing unsubstantiated and inaccurate comments about me, or any other P&B poster.  

Footnote : If you haven't already read it, you might  like to have a look at  "Highland Hundred" by Bill McAllister.  It is an excellent history book about football in the highlands. 

Edited by Robert James
typo error

7 hours ago, Robert James said:

I've been a contributor to P&B for a long time, and I can't recall ever having been personally critical of another poster, even when their views and mine are not in accord. That is the essence of debate.

However, your post (above) is absolute drivel, and an insult to your own integrity.  May I politely suggest, that in future, you take a more considered view, before writing unsubstantiated and inaccurate comments about me, or any other P&B poster.  

Footnote : If you haven't already read it, you might  like to have a look at  "Highland Hundred" by Bill McAllister.  It is an excellent history book about football in the highlands. 

I believe the traditional P&B response here is 'word salad'.

Read back through some of your previous posts through the eyes of the general reader and you can see how unreadable many of your posts are. I don't want you to stop posting, you have ideas and engage in debate, but as I've said, many of your posts are speculation dressed as fact, wrapped in excessive verbosity.

PS: I've tried to write the last paragraph in the style of the master, but hats off to you, it's hard to write that stuff.

4 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

I believe the traditional P&B response here is 'word salad'.

Read back through some of your previous posts through the eyes of the general reader and you can see how unreadable many of your posts are. I don't want you to stop posting, you have ideas and engage in debate, but as I've said, many of your posts are speculation dressed as fact, wrapped in excessive verbosity.

PS: I've tried to write the last paragraph in the style of the master, but hats off to you, it's hard to write that stuff.

"Word salad" !  Not heard that one !!  I will however own up to "verbosity", which is the problem associated with Honours Degree Graduates (many years ago, in my case).

And yes, I sometimes ask "questions". not always answered by others, eg recently - "is Alness Utd's withdrawal because of their ground issues ?"  or "will the PWG do anything to support' the NCL becoming a feeder league (with or without the NRJFA clubs), or "does anyone know if Girvan FC are planning to erect floodlights to keep their SFA licence ?".

I do also express "opinions", but I am hardly alone alone in doing that. Some of the most 'interesting' debates prompted by P&B posters (throughout +500 pages), wrongly claimed that automatic pyramid entry for the juniors, was a  "fact" for 2019/20.

Please note that I was the first to post on here, the North Caley's two Media Releases about Bonar Bridge being formally elected into the NCL, and also the withdrawal of Alness for 2019/20.  But perhaps I don't have your expertise on some other issues of interest ? 

If my recollection is correct, I was also the first to point out that Bonnyrigg Rose would join the Lowland League for 2019/20, notwithstanding their original rejection.  I also expressed some very early views about the SFA's Licensing debacle for club Applications received before 1st January 2019. So not all bad..... maybe. 

Anyway Cyclicize ,please  keep up the posting, as I will, and keep away from the personal 'attacks' .......please.. And apologies for the above "verbosity" again.

Edited by Robert James

6 hours ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

That Highland Hundred thing is a farce. The author forgot to check the guy he had write the book for him remembered to include a piece on Lossie. 

As for the rest of this page, WTF. 

You could always send your comments on "HH", to the book seller highlighted by Welshbairn above. Or buy a copy and send it to Cyclicine, who could write a  'critique'  of it, especially the pages about Lossie and the Wee County.  

From  Uncle Bob

20 hours ago, Strathman said:

There was a copy of the Highland Hundred for sale in the Peterhead Club shop the other day. I have a copy. It is very good despite a few mistakes as I recall.

A very good read.

Shame about Alness, as they had a promising youth development set up.