Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • Div

      Pie and Bovril Nostalgia Mobile Phone Cases!   12/09/18

      We are delighted to have partnered up with Nostalgia Cases to offer a huge range of fantastic Scottish Football phone cases to our visitors. These high quality cases are available in a range of retro and up to date designs and there variations available for all Premiership, Championship and League 1 clubs as well as four of the League 2 teams. Within each club there are a range of choices. You'll find it difficult to choose! This is an Edinburgh based start-up, and they also provide a custom design service so if there is a kit you don't see that you'd love for your phone you can get in touch with them and they'll add it to their range. Naturally there is a HUGE support for all the major phone manufacturers and models and what's more delivery in the UK is completely FREE. What's even better is that Pie and Bovril users can get 10% off their order using the coupon code PIEANDBOV Take a look and browse the full range for your favourite club by clicking through to the website below. https://bit.ly/2M5laZs
Robert James

North Caledonian League Expansion

Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, Robert James said:

I wonder what would happen if'an Isle of Man  football club applied to join either the English or Scottish pyramid ?

Or Ireland or Wales. They're a county association of the English FA, but constitutionally there's no reason why they're more English than Scottish.

It's an interesting question. The population of the Isle of Man is bigger than that of every town and city in Scotland except Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee. Even just the main town, Douglas, has a population not much less than Dumfries or Motherwell (not including Wishaw). They could possibly sustain a full time club in the SPFL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/05/2018 at 14:27, welshbairn said:

Gone into abeyance for a year, the maximum allowed. If they can't raise the money quickly enough to sort out Kirkhill by next year I think they'll fold permanently. They would still need a ground to play in the NCL.

Any news update  about Inverness City returning to the Juniors next season,   and/or any info about their proposed ground developments at Kirkhill  ?  Or has the club effectively folded ?

Whilst on the subject of Inverness football, it is excellent news that Inverness Athletic (NCL) have now secured a ground in the city. 

Also the famous name of Inverness Citadel was resurrected in the Inverness & Distric AFL last season.  Does anyone know anything about this new club ?

Edited by Robert James
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Marten said:

There is a simple reason why they are not subsidised, as they are not in England, so they want to play in a "foreign" set-up. That's obviously different for teams from Scottish islands. I'd greatly support travel subsidies for them. It would be great to have a Stornoway based team in the Scottish Cup. Would be some away day. :) 

It was suggested that Skye might follow the lead of Harris & Lewis, and Shetland, by entering a team in one or more of the the North Caledonian Cup competitions, but nothing materialised as far as I am aware. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Any news about Inverness City returning to the Juniors next season,   and/or any info about their proposed ground developments at Kirkhill  ?  Or has the club effectively folded ?

Whilst on the subject of Inverness football, it is excellent news that Inverness Athletic (NCL) have now secured a ground in the city. 

Also the famous name of Inverness Citadel was resurrected in the Inverness & Distric AFL last season.  Does anyone know anything about this new club ?

As you say good news about Inverness Athletic, don't know anything about Citadel except that from their facebook page they seem to change their name quite frequently according to who's sponsoring them. Resurrected the Citadel name in 2010. https://www.facebook.com/fortgeo/

All I know about City is that Kirkhill have given up hope of raising enough cash  to sort their pitch out, so unless there's something happening elsewhere it looks like the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

As you say good news about Inverness Athletic, don't know anything about Citadel except that from their facebook page they seem to change their name quite frequently according to who's sponsoring them. Resurrected the Citadel name in 2010. https://www.facebook.com/fortgeo/

All I know about City is that Kirkhill have given up hope of raising enough cash  to sort their pitch out, so unless there's something happening elsewhere it looks like the end.

Yes I saw that Citadel were formed in 2010,  but I'm not aware of any earlier names.

Looking ahead, it would be good for the NCL if it could attract a 10th league club. Balintore's return this season,  didn't materialise, apparently because of a shortage of quality players.  Maybe they will have overcome this in time for next season.  Dingwall Academy(Highland Youth League) would be a possible member if they formed an adult XI, or teamed up with former members Dingwall Thistle ?  Dornoch football seems to have died, and the Black Rock Isle clubs aren't interested in winter football. Muir of Ord revival: unlikely.

Fort William looked like rejoining the NCL for this season, but their determination to remain in the HFL seems to be  undaunted despite some huge defeats. They need to be admired for their dedication.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Yes I saw that Citadel were formed in 2010,  but I'm not aware of any earlier names.

Looking ahead, it would be good for the NCL if it could attract a 10th league club. Balintore's return this season,  didn't materialise, apparently because of a shortage of quality players.  Maybe they will have overcome this in time for next season.  Dingwall Academy(Highland Youth League) would be a possible member if they formed an adult XI, or teamed up with former members Dingwall Thistle ?  Dornoch football seems to have died, and the Black Rock Isle clubs aren't interested in winter football. Muir of Ord revival: unlikely.

Fort William looked like rejoining the NCL for this season, but their determination to remain in the HFL seems to be  undaunted despite some huge defeats. They need to be admired for their dedication.    

Citadel called themselves AFC Sobar in 2017 and Pockets FC in 2016. Think they just use Citadel when they don't have a sponsor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For a while Citadel were kidding on that they really were a resurrection of the original club that went bust in the 30s.

Did hear a while back that Inverness Thistle AFC were half way through applying for the NCL before they folded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

For a while Citadel were kidding on that they really were a resurrection of the original club that went bust in the 30s.

Did hear a while back that Inverness Thistle AFC were half way through applying for the NCL before they folded.

Apparently Inverness Central FC has folded as well (?) so the capital isn't thriving at present. The Rosshire Welfare League also seems to be contracting.

Are you aware of any potential new NCL clubs for next season ?

Edited by Robert James
post sent in error before completed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

North Caledonian League    current standings

Invergordon**    16    34          Golspie Sutherland**        14    33        Alness Utd*      14    23        Inverness Athletic    13    22        Orkney**    11    21       

St Duthus     16    21        Thurso**    15    14        Halkirk Utd**    15    11        Bunillidh Thistle*    14    3

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Whilst it does not appear that there are any new clubs seeking to join the NCL (unless Fort William resign from the HFL and rejoin the NCL) for 2019/20, this does not detract from the competitiveness of this senior league. Five of the above 9 clubs have been crowned champions** during the last 6 seasons, and two other clubs* have been champions since 1982. The remaining two clubs, Inverness Athletic and St Duthus,  only joined the NCL 3 seasons ago, and are both understood to be ambitious.   

Tonight's league table suggests that Golspie Sutherland will be champions this season. However they still have to play (current champions) Orkney, away from home, and could be overtaken (on goal difference) if they win all their remaining games. 

Edited by Robert James
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Robert James said:

However they still have to play (current champions) Orkney, away from home, and could be overtaken (on goal difference) if they win all their remaining games

Unlikely scenario, but if Golspie and Invergordon finish on the same points (even if they have different goal difference) then there is a playoff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cyclizine said:

Unlikely scenario, but if Golspie and Invergordon finish on the same points (even if they have different goal difference) then there is a playoff.

Don't right off Orkney. Again unlikely, but Orkney still have to play Bunillidh twice, plus Golspie who they play (on 16th March), and would also have to defeat. If they win all 5 remaining games they would finish on 36 points. If Golspie lose to Orkney, but win their other game, they would also have 36 points. So a play-off would be required.  Interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Robert James said:

Don't right off Orkney. Again unlikely, but Orkney still have to play Bunillidh twice, plus Golspie who they play (on 16th March), and would also have to defeat. If they win all 5 remaining games they would finish on 36 points. If Golspie lose to Orkney, but win their other game, they would also have 36 points. So a play-off would be required.  Interesting.

Before today, Orkney had failed to win half their 14 games in all comps this season so it's not really likely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cmontheloknow said:

Before today, Orkney had failed to win half their 14 games in all comps this season so it's not really likely.

I agree with you that they are outsiders.  Current leaders Invergordon have finished their league programme, whereas Orkney still have to play 5 games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Robert James said:

North Caledonian League    current standings

Invergordon**    16    34          Golspie Sutherland**        14    33        Alness Utd*      14    23        Inverness Athletic    13    22        Orkney**    11    21       

St Duthus     16    21        Thurso**    15    14        Halkirk Utd**    15    11        Bunillidh Thistle*    14    3

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tonight's league table suggests that Golspie Sutherland will be champions this season. However they still have to play (current champions) Orkney, away from home, and could be overtaken (on goal difference) if Orkney win all their remaining games. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/03/2019 at 22:43, cmontheloknow said:

Before today, Orkney had failed to win half their 14 games in all comps this season so it's not really likely.

You were correct  as Orkney FC finished 3rd behind Golspie (new champions) and Invergordon.

Looking ahead, will there be any new NCL clubs in 2019/20 ?  Perhaps Fort William might opt for demotion to the NCL, which is something the club considered last year ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Robert James said:

You were correct  as Orkney FC finished 3rd behind Golspie (new champions) and Invergordon.

Looking ahead, will there be any new NCL clubs in 2019/20 ?  Perhaps Fort William might opt for demotion to the NCL, which is something the club considered last year ?

They're quite high profile on facebook just now publicising their new signings and re-signings so expect more of the same from them in 19-20!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/02/2019 at 20:34, Marten said:

There is a simple reason why they are not subsidised, as they are not in England, so they want to play in a "foreign" set-up. That's obviously different for teams from Scottish islands. I'd greatly support travel subsidies for them. It would be great to have a Stornoway based team in the Scottish Cup. Would be some away day. :) 

Stornoway & Lerwick

Agreed.  Also, how about an away day against Shetland FC ?   The club does participate in one of the NCL Cup Competitions.  Or is it too far to contemplate ?

Lerwick is a splendid place to visit, as my wife and I did on an island hopping tour, in 2017. 

2019/20 NCL 

Any new clubs envisaged for the NCL next season  ?  Perhaps it would be a good time for the summer footballers of Fortrose,  Avoch, Rosemarkie, etc to form a combined Black Isle AFC to play winter football, by joining the (now very competitive) North Caley League   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Stornoway & Lerwick

Agreed.  Also, how about an away day against Shetland FC ?   The club does participate in one of the NCL Cup Competitions.  Or is it too far to contemplate ?

Lerwick is a splendid place to visit, as my wife and I did on an island hopping tour, in 2017. 

2019/20 NCL 

Any new clubs envisaged for the NCL next season  ?  Perhaps it would be a good time for the summer footballers of Fortrose,  Avoch, Rosemarkie, etc to form a combined Black Isle AFC to play winter football, by joining the (now very competitive) North Caley League   

Island teams would need significant subsidy. Shetland is not easy to get to from the Highlands, the ferry takes a minimum of 12 hours from Aberdeen and flights are only from Aberdeen, Edinburgh or Glasgow. There's a similar picture in the Western Isles with respect to Grampian. A regular league season would be very difficult to complete. In the HAC, clubs play at neutral venues, often in or near the ferry ports. I would go so far to say that unless a billionaire backer appears it will never happen.

There's certainly possibilities that an amateur club might consider moving to winter football. The main issue is players! Lots of the amateur players also play for NCL clubs in the winter. This used to happen in the HFL, but most clubs now restrict their contracted players through injury worries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

Island teams would need significant subsidy. Shetland is not easy to get to from the Highlands, the ferry takes a minimum of 12 hours from Aberdeen and flights are only from Aberdeen, Edinburgh or Glasgow.

Loganair flies from Inverness to Sumburgh via Kirkwall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×