North Caledonian League Expansion

Robert James

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

2 games in hand on Loch Ness, 11 points behind. It's possible, especially if Loch Ness drop in form like the end of last season.

Win the final at a beaufully presented Claggan Park, then get DSQ'ed for playing an unregistered goalkeeper 

Congratulations to Fort about it (re)launching a Reserve team for 2023/24 ? 

Orkney Fc has successfully retained its' membership of North Caledonian League, despite its' geographical location and associated difficulties.

Surely the Isle of Skye could do likewise, as the west Highlands and Islands region, would benefit from a 2nd pyramid club ? It would offer an opportunity for young footballers to gain experience of pyramid football. Are there any other rumours/news about potential new clubs/teams, in this region ?

1 hour ago, Robert James said:

Congratulations to Fort about it (re)launching a Reserve team for 2023/24 ? 

Orkney Fc has successfully retained its' membership of North Caledonian League, despite its' geographical location and associated difficulties.

Surely the Isle of Skye could do likewise, as the west Highlands and Islands region, would benefit from a 2nd pyramid club ? It would offer an opportunity for young footballers to gain experience of pyramid football. Are there any other rumours/news about potential new clubs/teams, in this region ?

Fort William have agreed with Orkney to meet half way (ish) at Alness for their games. Expecting amateur clubs from Skye to travel up to the likes of Thurso on a regular basis is not realistic, it's great news that they've got their district league together and that Fort are playing a part. 

I've watched football in the (then) Skye & Lochalsh league before. It's a very decent standard. But I don't think they'd be interested in the NCL over there. Playing in the winter in Skye could be a challenge, plenty of players are away in the winter and travel costs would be a big issue there.

Problem with Skye is it's still a place where football is the number 2 sport to Shinty, means all the local businesses give loads to the camanachd team and generally aren't willing to give out any decent money to the football team. I imagine this would change slightly for a joint Skye team and the fact that the North Caley is a winter seasons would mean that any shinty player isn't forced to drop football like they are with the current setup for the amateurs. But I still can't see it happening, A Lewis and Harris team will happen before a Skye one 

Is it not true as well that a lot of the lads who play in Skye are only really up over the summer and have uni and other places to be over the winter.

As a mainland tourist Skye in the winter is awesome, has a proper old island feel. It can quickly turn into “htf am I getting off here” when the bridge gets shut and the weather sets in but possibly the best place in the world to be stranded! Then you have to get up and over Glen Garry or Allandale to civilisation…

The S&S side from Broadford has often had a really solid looking team in the Amateur Cup over the years but if they wanted to play winter I get the feeling they would’ve by now.

On 09/02/2023 at 13:03, Marten said:

I've watched football in the (then) Skye & Lochalsh league before. It's a very decent standard. But I don't think they'd be interested in the NCL over there. Playing in the winter in Skye could be a challenge, plenty of players are away in the winter and travel costs would be a big issue there.

A fair point. 

However Skye could follow Lewis & Harris, and enter a representative team in one of the NCA/NCL cups. Even Shetland did this for a couple of years prior to the pandemic. 

37 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Think those results and the number of games in hand Carnoustie Panmure have in a Midlands League context mean Strathspey Thistle will almost certainly be playing in the Highland League again next season.

Carnoustie only have one game left against a top 6 team as well, East Craigie on April 1st.