North Caledonian League Expansion

Robert James

18 hours ago, Dev said:

With three clubs, Fort William, Golspie Sutherland and Invergordon playing, in this season's SFA Cup is that a record number of entrants in the Cup from the NCL?

A comparison for 2022/23 between the North Caley league (NCL), and the South of Scotland League (SoSL),  is -

NCL 13 member clubs (+2)  including 2 reserve teams  : 2 SFA licenced clubs (+1)

SoSL : 12 member clubs (-1)  including 2 reserve teams :   3 SFA licensed clubs (-1)

On 08/07/2022 at 09:44, TheScarf said:

Aye I've not played there for a few years, when did the fence go up?  I remember there was a lot of work getting done there a few years back and they turned some of the pitches 90 degrees, I guess it was then?

Aye, that sounds right, they put up some houses (or flats, whatever) on the park side of Keppoch Road and fannied about with the burn and there's a new kids park. I'd say within the last 5 years but it could be 8 with how odd the past couple of years have been.

• 5 weeks later...

Opening league fixtures

20 August 2022 - North Caledonian League

2pm unless stated

(Last season's positions in brackets)

Alness (10) v Invergordon (1)
Fort William (Rel.) v Golspie Sutherland (4)
(1pm) Loch Ness (2) v Orkney (6)
St. Duthus (5) v Halkirk Utd (3)
Nairn County 'A' ( 8 ) v Thurso (7)
Inverness (9) v Clach reserves (-)

(Bonar Bridge (11) are the idle team on the opening day)

----------------------------------------------------------

So maybe, the game of the day is Fort William v Golspie Sutherland? Also the only two teams currently with a SFA license and therefore eligible for promotion if they win the league (and any required play-off). How will The Fort adapt to their new 'surroundings'?

Loch Ness v Orkney, who also have the honour of kicking off the league season, & St. Duthus v Halkirk Utd might also be interesting.

I’ll be hoping Golspie win the league to try and claim a place in the HL. Golspie is a pleasant wee village and would be a good addition to the league. They could have a derby with Brora, although according to wiki Brora already have a derby with Wick aka the ‘Northern Derby.’

On 14/08/2022 at 13:43, stulch said:

Opening league fixtures

20 August 2022 - North Caledonian League

2pm unless stated

(Last season's positions in brackets)

Alness (10) v Invergordon (1)
Fort William (Rel.) v Golspie Sutherland (4)
(1pm) Loch Ness (2) v Orkney (6)
St. Duthus (5) v Halkirk Utd (3)
Nairn County 'A' ( 8 ) v Thurso (7)
Inverness (9) v Clach reserves (-)

(Bonar Bridge (11) are the idle team on the opening day)

----------------------------------------------------------

So maybe, the game of the day is Fort William v Golspie Sutherland? Also the only two teams currently with a SFA license and therefore eligible for promotion if they win the league (and any required play-off). How will The Fort adapt to their new 'surroundings'?

Loch Ness v Orkney, who also have the honour of kicking off the league season, & St. Duthus v Halkirk Utd might also be interesting.

By 'new surroundings' do you mean Claggan Park, where they haven't played in living memory?

3 minutes ago, stulch said:
8 hours ago, Stag Nation said:
By 'new surroundings' do you mean Claggan Park, where they haven't played in living memory?

Ahh, but remember it's all the Highland league's fault. Those North East Aberdeen b******s.

Wait til Tayport go up then it'll be those Fife b*****ds

Season started today and planning to try and get to a home game with my camera for each team, so started easy and took in the local derby between Alness v Invergordon.  Alness ran out 2-1 winners over last year's champions.  A pretty even first half with neither keeper really being troubled....although Invergordon did crash a 25-yard shot off the crossbar. 

In the second half, it was Alness who started better and took the lead from the spot before doubling their lead 10/15 mins later after a long ball was nodded on to the Alness striker.  Invergordon then got a consolation with 3 mins left to play after Alness defence stopped expecting/hoping that the ref would halt the play after the Alness right back was down...."injured".

52298118352_900122628a_c.jpg

52299102993_1050eb7078_c.jpg

52299586145_b73c2088a7_c.jpg

52299358229_d39e91dd93_c.jpg

11 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

If they keep that squad together I doubt they'll stay there. 

I'm sure they'll win a respectable chunk of games in this league considering it sounds they were not bad yesterday. It's still funny that they're immediately in their comfort zone though imo.

7 hours ago, Robert James said:

Scottish Cup  on Saturday 27/8.  How will the 3 NCL clubs fare ?

Fort William v Benburb

Glasgow University v Golspie Sutherland

Invergordon v Newtongrange Star

No Cup replays this season.

Probably all three getting papped oot. But wouldn't bet against Golspie. Looked very solid v The Fort. 

On 16/08/2022 at 13:20, jamamafegan said:

I’ll be hoping Golspie win the league to try and claim a place in the HL. Golspie is a pleasant wee village and would be a good addition to the league. They could have a derby with Brora, although according to wiki Brora already have a derby with Wick aka the ‘Northern Derby.’

And produced two solid P&B posters. @J_Stewart would agree.

On 16/08/2022 at 13:20, jamamafegan said:

2 hours ago, RH33 said:

And produced two solid P&B posters. @J_Stewart would agree.

Great village, great posters.

I played for both Golspie and Brora when I was up the road in my youth (for Potto and Ricky at Golspie and your dad at Brora...what an education 🤣) and in terms of organisation, etc there wasn't a huge difference between them with the committee and management teams. Golspie still have a pretty decent committee of local guys too. Definitely big gaps to fill though on the infrastructure side as with no stand and no real social club they might quickly eat in to their finances if they need to make long away trips every fortnight and aren't able to recoup the same level of revenue that other clubs can for their home games. Would certainly like to see them give it a go though.