North Caledonian League Expansion

Robert James

On 23/06/2022 at 08:36, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Inverness Athletic are moving to North Kessock after their ill-fated stint at Ardersier last season.

image.png.992af180eb36751065c4b52de19274a9.png

Why did the stint in Ardersier end exactly? I went to a couple games as it was localish, & then one Saturday I turn up & there's no one there & I find out on Twitter they were at the IRA or wherever it was.

21 minutes ago, forkboy said:

Why did the stint in Ardersier end exactly? I went to a couple games as it was localish, & then one Saturday I turn up & there's no one there & I find out on Twitter they were at the IRA or wherever it was.

The story I've heard is that the Athletic chairman wanted to refurb the changing rooms, but the owner of the park said that they weren't allowed to because they were still waiting on an insurance payment for prior water damage. The chairman kept pestering the park owner about it and eventually the owner had enough and told the club to bolt.

2 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

...and Fort William are in them! First game Claggan Park (mower and lines dependent) 20th August 1400 v Golspie

New squad's started training already and raring to go!

i-8JtrGPb-X3.jpg

Hi there. I’m moving to Inverness from Glasgow, tomorrow in fact, and I’m planning to go see some NCL games and follow the league. I was hoping that someone could shed a little light for a newcomer to the league on who the teams to watch are and anything else worth knowing? 

cheers 

48 minutes ago, jengers said:

Hi there. I’m moving to Inverness from Glasgow, tomorrow in fact, and I’m planning to go see some NCL games and follow the league. I was hoping that someone could shed a little light for a newcomer to the league on who the teams to watch are and anything else worth knowing? 

cheers 

A fair few NCL clubs field teams in the summer amateur leagues, often with some of the same players, so you could get a feeling for it before the season starts in August. The standards vary an awful lot, some are close to Highland League standard, others can be like pub teams. I'll probably be following the Clach u21 team around a bit along with the odd Inverness Athletic game in North Kessock. Loch Ness will be based in Fortrose for another year which would make for a decent afternoon out. Going to try to catch a game in Orkney this season.

P.S. And of course there's Fort William this season who are totally unpredictable. Decent day out from Inverness with a direct bus.

Edited by welshbairn

37 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

A fair few NCL clubs field teams in the summer amateur leagues, often with some of the same players, so you could get a feeling for it before the season starts in August. The standards vary an awful lot, some are close to Highland League standard, others can be like pub teams. I'll probably be following the Clach u21 team around a bit along with the odd Inverness Athletic game in North Kessock. Loch Ness will be based in Fortrose for another year which would make for a decent afternoon out. Going to try to catch a game in Orkney this season.

P.S. And of course there's Fort William this season who are totally unpredictable. Decent day out from Inverness with a direct bus.

Thanks for the info. I’ll have a look at the amateur leagues and see what the fixtures are like before the NCL starts. 

I think Inverness Athletic could be handy if they’re in North Kessock as I’ll be staying in Culloden so not far at all. 

It’ll definitely be nice to take the odd trip to some matches further afield though and make an afternoon of it as you suggest. 

48 minutes ago, jengers said:

Thanks for the info. I’ll have a look at the amateur leagues and see what the fixtures are like before the NCL starts. 

I think Inverness Athletic could be handy if they’re in North Kessock as I’ll be staying in Culloden so not far at all. 

It’ll definitely be nice to take the odd trip to some matches further afield though and make an afternoon of it as you suggest. 

Quite a few of the Inverness & District Amateur games will be at Culloden Playing Fields. The league isn't the best at promoting fixtures and results, Facebook usually your best bet. Further east of Inverness, you start to break into North Junior territory, Nairn Saints being the nearest team. Don't forget the Highland League, either.

1 hour ago, Cyclizine said:

Quite a few of the Inverness & District Amateur games will be at Culloden Playing Fields. The league isn't the best at promoting fixtures and results, Facebook usually your best bet. Further east of Inverness, you start to break into North Junior territory, Nairn Saints being the nearest team. Don't forget the Highland League, either.

That’s brilliant, sounds like I’m not going to be short of football to go and watch haha. 

On 24/06/2022 at 00:23, Dev said:

Maybe with the Champions guaranteed entry, regardless of being licenced or not, will this give some food for thought to clubs not currently in the NCL i.e. about joining the league?

I am thinking about clubs from the western parts of the North Juniors and others which have not previously considered it worthwhile moving from Summer football.

It may give a boost to some clubs which have intentions to improve their facilities or are already on that route. Maybe they will be able to better access Grant Aid in future.

Taking the long view this could be a game changer for the NCL.

Already the pyramid has resulted in the expansion of the NCLwith 4 new clubs in 202021 (although Scourie resigned after one season only), and a further 2 clubs for the 2022/23 season  (Fort relegated, from the HFL, and Clachnacuddin "B" joining). Entry to the Scottish Cup should encourage other clubs to apply to join the NCL in future seasons.

Whilst on the subject of Clach "B", the excellent Non League Scotland website has failed to add them for next season, even though they were elected to the NCL on the 9th June..  

On 02/07/2022 at 14:58, Cyclizine said:

As said,follow the IDAFA on Facebook,they usually have a summary of the upcoming games that week,with venues,as well as further info of the games on the game days.

On 02/07/2022 at 12:59, jengers said:

cheers 

One thing worth knowing is that as winter kicks in there's sometimes venue/KO time changes&that there's different KO ties seasonally too(mind,most don't have floodlights),keep a close eye on social media;not just here,the official website&fitba north but also the SFA refs appointment page which can be the best for hearing about venue changes

12 hours ago, highlandcowden said:

One thing worth knowing is that as winter kicks in there's sometimes venue/KO time changes&that there's different KO ties seasonally too(mind,most don't have floodlights),keep a close eye on social media;not just here,the official website&fitba north but also the SFA refs appointment page which can be the best for hearing about venue changes

Thanks for the advice I’ll make sure to bookmark the SFA refs page to make sure I don’t miss any changes! 

Planning on heading to Bught on Friday for the game. 

Blimey, that's a bit of a flashback. Used to play on those pitches, and lived a couple of hundred yards to the left of the first shot (assuming those houses are on Keppoch Road).

There were no fences though, just 4 or so pitches in the open.

Aye I've not played there for a few years, when did the fence go up?  I remember there was a lot of work getting done there a few years back and they turned some of the pitches 90 degrees, I guess it was then?