North Caledonian League Expansion

Robert James

18 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

North Caley looking at running with 13 clubs next season with Fort and Clach U20s joining. Bunillidh Thistle are also allegedly considering returning.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/4220498/north-caledonian-league-dont-see-any-problems-with-highland-league-drop-outs-fort-william-rejoining-their-ranks/

Clach will have a team in the NCL next season, and Fort will also join. Rumours about Bunillidh returning are premature and probably unlikely for 22/23.. However as the club are still members of the NCL, their return could be agreed at the league's AGM in June. 

Given the modest success of Ullapool's Under 18's team, it is conceivable that they could apply to join the NCL, in 2 or 3 years time, as their young players develop. However, also having enough experienced/senior players available, would be a challenge IMO, 

14 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

North Caley looking at running with 13 clubs next season with Fort and Clach U20s joining. Bunillidh Thistle are also allegedly considering returning.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/4220498/north-caledonian-league-dont-see-any-problems-with-highland-league-drop-outs-fort-william-rejoining-their-ranks/

In the Lowland League (booo!) if a Colts team win the leagues then (in theory) the next highest placed team gets put into the play off. What's the rules in the North Caley if Clach/Nairn B win and Golspie finish second?

6 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

In the Lowland League (booo!) if a Colts team win the leagues then (in theory) the next highest placed team gets put into the play off. What's the rules in the North Caley if Clach/Nairn B win and Golspie finish second?

@NiallFH ?

At first sight it looks unfair, but if Golspie, say, finished second to the Nairn or Clach u20s/reserves it would hardly bode well for them in the Highland League.

When will the NCL get it’s Scottish Cup place?

Every other tier 6 league has a slot and the Amateur Cup winners so shifting a “home” game if not suitable has been done before. Think unlicensed teams just have to nominate a ground that’s suitable

6 hours ago, Spyro said:

When will the NCL get it’s Scottish Cup place?

Every other tier 6 league has a slot and the Amateur Cup winners so shifting a “home” game if not suitable has been done before. Think unlicensed teams just have to nominate a ground that’s suitable

Does this Scottish Cup restriction apply to the unlicensed  Tier 6 NCL champions only ?

The 'new' Tier 6 Midlands League champions Carnoustie, are not licensed, so I would  be surprised if they are granted Cup entry for 2022/23. However, if they are, then  NCL champions Invergordon, must be awarded the same entry entitlement . 

On 09/05/2022 at 08:39, Dav nan Gael said:

Aye time for this anomaly to be knocked on the head.....,the NCL champion should be in the Scottish end off.....

I agree entirely, but as far as I am aware, no decision has been announced by the SFA, regarding the champion clubs of the NCL, nor the champions of  the former East & North junior leagues, which are now within the  pyramid.

3 hours ago, Robert James said:

I agree entirely, but as far as I am aware, no decision has been announced by the SFA, regarding the champion clubs of the NCL, nor the champions of  the former East & North junior leagues, which are now within the  pyramid.

The Scottish Cup rules say the Midlands (East) and North Region champions qualify - no club qualified this season as the leagues were null & void though - so unless that changes Carnoustie will qualify next season. NCL is a different matter.

Edited by Ginaro

I think the NCL Champion's Scottish Cup place must be under consideration just because everyone's keeping very quiet about it, including Invergordon, who I asked on Twitter but didn't get a reply. Unless of course Invergordon aren't that interested in entering it.

7 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I think the NCL Champion's Scottish Cup place must be under consideration just because everyone's keeping very quiet about it, including Invergordon, who I asked on Twitter but didn't get a reply. Unless of course Invergordon aren't that interested in entering it.

Don't see why they would be disinterested, isn't it worth about £4k to them?

2 minutes ago, Ray Patterson said:

Don't see why they would be disinterested, isn't it worth about £4k to them?

The NCL sides sometimes struggle for players before the end of the summer amateur season, not sure when the preliminary rounds are. But I agree, you'd think they'd be well up for it. Not sure how the money works out after costs, maybe including borrowing a licenced ground.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

The NCL sides sometimes struggle for players before the end of the summer amateur season, not sure when the preliminary rounds are. But I agree, you'd think they'd be well up for it. Not sure how the money works out after costs, maybe including borrowing a licenced ground.

Would they need that?

Isn't it just a roped off pitch with changing facilities.

24 minutes ago, Ray Patterson said:

Would they need that?

It wouldn't need to be a ground of a licenced club, but it would have to meet certain standards. Such as being able to control access since they'd be taking gate money. Plus floodlights I think are required even for qualifiers now due to the possibility of midweek replays.

1 hour ago, Ray Patterson said:

Would they need that?

Not any more. I don't think it's published anywhere what the minimum requirement would be, but as @FairWeatherFan says, it certainly needs to be enclosed, so that admission can be taken and access controlled. The Amateur Cup winners have previously used non-licenced junior grounds - Colville Park used New Tinto Park several times over the years (including in their run to the second round in 2017) and Harestanes used Duncansfield.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Preliminary rounds have been mid-August and early-September recently, so pretty much as the NCL season starts. I'd think if Golspie (and Fort William...) can do it, then there's no reason the other NCL clubs couldn't give it a go.

Edited by Cyclizine