North Caledonian League Expansion

Robert James

9 hours ago, Robert James said:

A very competitive season in the NCL.

Clach Reserves and Fort William may result in 13 NCL clubs next season. Maximum number in a single division, would be 14 clubs.

Bunillidh Thistle can still return too, they are still members of the NCL, but have gone into abeyance. I'm not sure if they still intend to return, but at the start of this season they did state they expect to be back for next season.

27 minutes ago, Marten said:

Bunillidh Thistle can still return too, they are still members of the NCL, but have gone into abeyance. I'm not sure if they still intend to return, but at the start of this season they did state they expect to be back for next season.

Helmsdale Utd are playing the summer season, so hopefully they will. I'm not sure if Clach will really get round to entering a second XI, but we'll see.

42 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

I'm not sure if Clach will really get round to entering a second XI, but we'll see.

I think they will, the u21 league petered away into nothing this year, more from lack of interest than covid I think

8 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

What about Scourie, what happened to them?

They could never get a team together on a Saturday so they pulled out.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

They could never get a team together on a Saturday so they pulled out.

I think the players got fed up of getting pumped in double figures every week. Sadly their amateur version, Kinlochbervie seem to have thrown the towel in too.

Shame that. Ye'd think being the only team from the NW Highlands would give ye enough players to play through winter once the summer leagues finish. Geography doesn't help, obviously, but it'd be good to see a team from Ullapool or somewhere up there give it a go again. 

1 minute ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Shame that. Ye'd think being the only team from the NW Highlands would give ye enough players to play through winter once the summer leagues finish. Geography doesn't help, obviously, but it'd be good to see a team from Ullapool or somewhere up there give it a go again. 

Most people think it's a daft idea but an Ullapool based team backed up with Lewis players might be feasible. The school has a 4g pitch and there's another grass one that needs some work.

22 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Lochbroom are back this upcoming summer season. I did think when the mysterious new team from the North West was announced, it was going to be  Lochbroom and was surprised when it turned out to be Scourie. I think they were using a number of Ullapool based players.

The Macphail Centre is a generic 3G cage, but perfectly adequate. Sadly Morefield is in a bit of a state looking at recent pictures. When I was there several years ago, it really was a decent amateur ground, grass bank and trees gave it an enclosed feel.

Edited by Cyclizine

15 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

image.thumb.png.6fae3ac23a9ab37297b52148a0b4e5d3.png

image.png.8feff4905e744672d0720abca403a472.png

This was the first first team game on Alness Utd's new pitch, confusingly called Dalmore Park again. It's an astro park in a cage, but there is some hard standing and a rail, so a bit better than the standard school 3G.

13 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Noticed Ullapool have an U18s team, do they have a senior team in the amateurs?

Lochbroom have been reformed after several years and will play in the NW Sutherland League this summer season.

4 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Noticed Ullapool have an U18s team, do they have a senior team in the amateurs?

Just thought I'd float this boat again as it is noticeable that this league covers the N Cal area and extends as far as Buckie/Keith/Rothes too, from the Highland League's area, even though this is an Under 18's league.

If the Under 18's can chalk up 20 league games/season then presumably geography alone isn't likely to a good enough reason for Inverness/Nairn/Moray clubs not to head for the N Cal should they be relegated or for a bunch of North Juniors i.e. seniors to head in the same direction, maybe as a group in future?? 

The Spey was the approximate dividing line between the North of Scotland and Aberdeenshire FAs in senior grade terms. The North Region has stretched as far west as Grantown-on-Spey and Inverness in the recent past and has always had a team as far west as Nairn. The SFA appear to be happy to have clubs sort out those issues for themselves rather than imposing rigid geographical boundaries.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

North Caley looking at running with 13 clubs next season with Fort and Clach U20s joining. Bunillidh Thistle are also allegedly considering returning.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/4220498/north-caledonian-league-dont-see-any-problems-with-highland-league-drop-outs-fort-william-rejoining-their-ranks/