North Caledonian League Expansion

Robert James

I think, while the like of Golspie have long held hopes of HFL and I think are licensed, as other have said, availability of players will mean NCL will most likely develop slower than some other amature leauges.

There is also thinks like availability nor sponsor and community financial input needed to sustain teams at higher levels. Again in small communities like Brora, Golspie there is a saturation point that again is lower due to population. 

4 hours ago, Merkie84 said:

Just been looking on the SoSl board and see they are looking to take their league from level 6 in the pyramid to level 7 and the winners gain promotion to either the EoSL or more likely WosL as this better represents their relative standard.

All the talk over the SoSFL dropping down is forum/social media gossip. If there was any real basis to it, we'd have heard about it since it requires integrating into the WoSFL in some fashion.

9 hours ago, Merkie84 said:

If they get promoted as it stands to the HFL they will be playing a lot of away games in Aberdeenshire, Brechin City etc but I see your point. 

I notice the North Region 1st and 2nd divisions are pretty small ( 8 and 9 ) teams. 

Perhaps a regionalised merger with these 2 leagues with the NCL to provide a 14 and 15 team league ?

All the teams closest to Aberdeen in one and teams closest to Inverness in the other ?  Winners of each playoff for promotion to Super league etc. 

The only teams in Divisions one and two who might conceivably be interested in that would be Forres Thistle and maybe Burghead at a push, and if they were they could just apply to join the NCL as is. Nobody gains by abolishing the NCL, so why would anybody want to?  

The NCFA is a well run (thanks, @NiallFH et al!) and generally competitive organisation and has a rightful role within the pyramid. It's impossible to subdivide Scotland into equitable regions in terms of geography and population and the depth in the Far North is always going to be shallower than the North East, as the depth in the Highland footprint is shallower than the Lowland.

Inverness Athletic confirm that they have left Ardersier for good. They will be using ICT's training pitch along the road at Fort George this weekend.

https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/sport/inverness-athletic-to-play-at-new-venue-after-leaving-arders-263576

5 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Inverness Athletic confirm that they have left Ardersier for good. They will be using ICT's training pitch along the road at Fort George this weekend.

https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/sport/inverness-athletic-to-play-at-new-venue-after-leaving-arders-263576

I hope they don't end up going the same way as Inverness City. At least the ground rules are less onerous in the NCL than the Superleague, and they haven't forked out loads of cash to develop a ground they only have a short term lease for.

It pisses me off that clubs are allowed to be registered with associations and leagues when they don't have a permanent ground.  I knew and worked with guys at Inverness City and put this to them and all I got was bullshit about the Highland Council not helping them secure a pitch.  Isn't that the club's job?

49 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

It pisses me off that clubs are allowed to be registered with associations and leagues when they don't have a permanent ground.  I knew and worked with guys at Inverness City and put this to them and all I got was bullshit about the Highland Council not helping them secure a pitch.  Isn't that the club's job?

highland council fell over themselves to assist your mob,theyre nothing but obstructive to other football teams in the town

59 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

They're very amenable to cricket, rugby and golf for some reason. The Northern Meeting Ground goes to waste but for a handful of cricket fixtures in the summer, it would be ideal for Inverness Athletic, maybe sharing with Loch Ness. City spent £70,000 plus doing up a small patch of Bught Park that got in the way of no one, only to be turfed off for no reason I could see, other than that it was formally a temporary lease.

Edited by welshbairn

24 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Aren't Inverness Athletic onto their 4th/5th ground now. How many of them would have had anything to do with the Highland Council for the Council to be getting stick over this?

It's a general lack of cooperation from the council over non league football rather than anything specific to do with Inverness Athletic. It was their dealings with Inverness City that was being discussed.