North Caledonian League Expansion

Robert James

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Halkirk got cover and lights and were talking about potentially stepping up to the HL at one point but ultimately nothing happened on that.

They haven't even got changing rooms though. Seems the guy who put the initial money in lost interest.

On 25/09/2021 at 23:40, Spyro said:

Skye and Lochalsh could put a decent side into the NCL. Was always impressed by Sleat and Strath/Strath and Sleat (always get it the wrong way round!) and there’s a few other players dotted around that would do a job in that league. The travelling and the crossover between the summer and winter season are the biggest barrier though, especially through the winter months.

A Stornaway team would probably be travelling the same way PLUS the length of Skye from Uig (which is a trek in itself!) AND a ferry. With most team being based in Easter Ross, it’s just too much to expect week in week out.

Ullapool would be the obvious choice for a new team in the NCL. It was folly to base a team in KLB/Scourie and I said at the time the best players up there could be persuaded down to play for for an Ullapool based team 

Yes, Skye could enter a club into the North Caley League, but it would be more likely that they would enter 1 or 2 of the NCL cup competitions first, as a way of testing the water. Lewis & Harris have done so in recent seasons, but won't consider joining the league whilst covid flourishes.

More likely new NCL applicants would be Nairn St Ninian (struggling in the North Region league), Clachnacuddin Reserves/Under 23's, a (unified) a Black Isle FC, Buniliddh Thistle (rejoining),, Muir of Ord, and/or Ullapool (possibly within the next 2-3 seasons)?

Watch this space. 

The word on the street is that Inverness Athletic have fallen out with the folk that run the Ardersier pitch and won't be playing there again. Athletic's last few home games have been at the IRA 4G.

Loch Ness are also playing their home game against Nairn reserves on Saturday at the IRA, but that's due to the Fortrose pitch being waterlogged.

11 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Was that in the new IRA?

I’m giving my age away here but I was in the old IRA, the one from the 1970s. It may have had design flaws and there was a lot wrong with it but it’s where my memories were made.

The new IRA just isn’t the same. Maybe it has more mod cons but it doesn’t have the same feel to it.

I’m giving my age away here but I was in the old IRA, the one from the 1970s. It may have had design flaws and there was a lot wrong with it but it’s where my memories were made.
The new IRA just isn’t the same. Maybe it has more mod cons but it doesn’t have the same feel to it.
^^^ boy of the old brigade