North Caledonian League Expansion

Robert James

The two Stornoway teams finished 7th and 8th out of 9 this year. 

Logistics aside there is genuinely no interest in playing in a Mainland winter league just now.

Cups are a different story and I understand there would be an interest in playing in national cup competition. Although I think the preference would be individual clubs rather than a select.

If the Junior cup does open up as a T5 and under cup it might be a gateway to other things. Although I guess at this stage it would still be for senior rather than amatuers.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

Cups are a different story and I understand there would be an interest in playing in national cup competition. Although I think the preference would be individual clubs rather than a select..

I presume the Orkney Amateur League still plays over the summer and players play in that as well as for Orkney in the North Caley? It seems to be working for them. Why would Lewis/Harris be against a similar idea and have a preference for individual teams over a select?

Just folk from Ness hating Stornoway that much?

Skye and Lochalsh could put a decent side into the NCL. Was always impressed by Sleat and Strath/Strath and Sleat (always get it the wrong way round!) and there’s a few other players dotted around that would do a job in that league. The travelling and the crossover between the summer and winter season are the biggest barrier though, especially through the winter months.

A Stornaway team would probably be travelling the same way PLUS the length of Skye from Uig (which is a trek in itself!) AND a ferry. With most team being based in Easter Ross, it’s just too much to expect week in week out.

Ullapool would be the obvious choice for a new team in the NCL. It was folly to base a team in KLB/Scourie and I said at the time the best players up there could be persuaded down to play for for an Ullapool based team 

12 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

The two Stornoway teams finished 7th and 8th out of 9 this year. 

Logistics aside there is genuinely no interest in playing in a Mainland winter league just now.

Cups are a different story and I understand there would be an interest in playing in national cup competition. Although I think the preference would be individual clubs rather than a select.

If the Junior cup does open up as a T5 and under cup it might be a gateway to other things. Although I guess at this stage it would still be for senior rather than amatuers.

When I suggested Stornoway getting together with Ullapool I was meaning players from Lewis and Harris. Clach have a player, Eachainn Miller, who travels from Carloway believe it or not, I realise that will be an exception though.

On 25/09/2021 at 23:29, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I presume the Orkney Amateur League still plays over the summer and players play in that as well as for Orkney in the North Caley? It seems to be working for them. Why would Lewis/Harris be against a similar idea and have a preference for individual teams over a select?

Just folk from Ness hating Stornoway that much?

Hate is probably strong but folk from Ness support Ness - that's their club. 

It might be amateur but the mentality and set up is probably closer to junior.

The Lewis and Harris league could move in below the Highland League 'as is' I guess. Their clubs would be very unlikely to go up in a play off but give the sides there an opportunity for licensing and other cups against mainland sides. Wouldn't be much different from the South of Scotland league below the Lowland League.

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, kevsmart said:

Is there any additional clubs in the NCL working towards getting their grounds up to SFA Licence level to enable them to take part in the play off at the end of the season apart from Golspie Sutherland?

I don't think any others will be ready for next season.