North Caledonian League Expansion

Robert James

3 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

Alness vs Scourie off tomorrow as Scourie can't raise a side.

I was just going to ask about this... can’t be good if they can’t get a team together at this stage of the year. No excuses, the boys should all be buzzing to go. Gutted for the guys who have worked hard to make this happen but it was always going to be a tough task being based up there. I’m surprised they didn’t try something in Ullapool with a few of the old KLB boys

So on P&B moving day are NCL and the North juniors, or whatever they are going to be called, each going to get their own independent Scottish Professional Football League section? With the Midland league to follow when the SFA rubber stamps it? I do hope so. Is someone on it?! [emoji106]

29 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

This is basically the corner flag at Bunillidh Thistle in Helmsdale. Sensational views in all directions. Must visit ground I'd say.
IMG_20210530_152259.jpeg

absolutely,theyre the only NCL side ive not seen at home after watching orkney-thurso yesterday,albeit it was played at Holm

On 29/05/2021 at 12:33, stulch said:

So on P&B moving day are NCL and the North juniors, or whatever they are going to be called, each going to get their own independent Scottish Professional Football League section? With the Midland league to follow when the SFA rubber stamps it? I do hope so. Is someone on it?! emoji106.png

That's a good question. It seems too diffuse to me - would it be better to have one forum from all seniors north of the line? Especially given that most HL supporters use Fitba North anyway. 

I've made my way up the hill. Looking down on the town with the ground pretty much on the bullseye here. Helmsdale: just an incredible spot.

Also just passed Edwyn Collins recording studio coming up the brae, and I've near enough fainted such is my esteem of the great man.
IMG_20210530_170123.jpegIMG_20210530_165551.jpeg

On 28/05/2021 at 19:04, GNU_Linux said:

Alness vs Scourie off tomorrow as Scourie can't raise a side.

On 28/05/2021 at 22:11, Spyro said:

I was just going to ask about this... can’t be good if they can’t get a team together at this stage of the year. No excuses, the boys should all be buzzing to go. Gutted for the guys who have worked hard to make this happen but it was always going to be a tough task being based up there. I’m surprised they didn’t try something in Ullapool with a few of the old KLB boys

Has welfare season up there started? North Caley would normally be finished before now. Only external explanation that occurred to me.

4 hours ago, GordonS said:

That's a good question. It seems too diffuse to me - would it be better to have one forum from all seniors north of the line? Especially given that most HL supporters use Fitba North anyway. 

It would probably make sense to just have on forum for the Highland tier 6 leagues, chat on both the NCL & North Juniors is mainly on FN anyway, not really on P&B. There are some followers of Midland League clubs here, myself included, but not a lot (and the ML now has a place on FN as well).

Edited by Marten

3 hours ago, Marten said:

It would probably make sense to just have on forum for the Highland tier 6 leagues, chat on both the NCL & North Juniors is mainly on FN anyway, not really on P&B. There are some followers of Midland League clubs here, myself included, but not a lot (and the ML now has a place on FN as well).

Yeah, but I think it might be worth putting the HL itself in there too, otherwise it could get a bit bare.

For wiser heads to decide, though.

3 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Basing the new club in Ullapool rather than Scourie might have helped though

Why? Saves an hour of driving each way for the KLB ones you're on about by being in Scourie instead. And the team has still had players from Lochinver, Gairloch and Ullapool. Being based in Ullapool would just mean more travel for most players for "home" games

22 minutes ago, MarkPockets said:

Why? Saves an hour of driving each way for the KLB ones you're on about by being in Scourie instead. And the team has still had players from Lochinver, Gairloch and Ullapool. Being based in Ullapool would just mean more travel for most players for "home" games

Bigger pool of players further south. I’m sure the KLB boys would’ve came down to play if they were good enough. Let’s face it, the KLB ammys were hardly world beaters so a collaboration between Lochinver and any Ullapool players playing somewhere easier for the majority to play would’ve meant the chances of having to scratch a game due to lack of players would’ve been greatly reduced.

I really wanted it to work for them but I had my doubts right from the start tbh

The Scourie team has had players from Lochinver and Ullapool. The reality is, anyone good enough to play at NCL level from the West already play for teams based in the East. There would have been no advantage having the team in Ullapool and, as the coach and majority of the players who have played are based in Scourie/KLB/Durness, basing the team in Ullapool would be logistically silly. 

Maybe in the short-term yes your right. But there’s a high school and youth teams in Ullapool (Loch Broom) full of potential players that could’ve sustained the long term future of a North-West club. Maybe they could’ve changed the flow of players going (more than an hour each way) east to play at that level.

It all seemed a bit haphazard, KLB and Durness hasn’t exactly been a hotbed for football recently going by their amateur results. Fair play to them for trying, like I said I really wanted them to pull it off, and the first few seasons were always going to be tough. Some of the score lines and eventually having to scratch a game at that level due to a lack of players isn’t a good look though