North Caledonian League Expansion

Robert James

An ice rink in Aviemore is an open goal. The area desperately needs things for tourists to do when the weather's shite. That you're allowed to have a pint while watching ice hockey is a huge advantage and would attract apres skiers, stag doers and locals alike. Probably sell a decent amount of merchandise as well.

49 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

An ice rink in Aviemore is an open goal. The area desperately needs things for tourists to do when the weather's shite. That you're allowed to have a pint while watching ice hockey is a huge advantage and would attract apres skiers, stag doers and locals alike. Probably sell a decent amount of merchandise as well.

There isn't snow at Aviemore for the first 2/3 Of the hockey season 

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/04/2021 at 16:05, Dev said:

If Bunillidh Thistle return next winter that would bring the current league back to 13 teams. There was mention by Uncle Bob last year that he was aware of an Inverness Amateur side considering applying to join this summer. Then there's the new facility which the Uni of the Highlands and Islands is building at Inverness with a view to entering the Junior or Amateur ranks. There are four current North Region Junior west of the Spey with two more just to the east of it.

Maybe in five years time a two division NCL would be possible and sustainable. The lower division could be regionalised to help to reduce travel issues, and so on. It will be interesting to see what, if anything changes in the next few years but, regardless of that, it would be surprising if more clubs didn't set out to become licenced.

Nothing wrong with a 2 division NCL, if there are enough clubs. As far as I am aware, the Bunillidh Thistle situation is not yet clear, as to whether they will return. However, I understand that an application  from a different club, is likely.

from Uncle 'Jamie'

28 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Nothing wrong with a 2 division NCL, if there are enough clubs. As far as I am aware, the Bunillidh Thistle situation is not yet clear, as to whether they will return. However, I understand that an application  from a different club, is likely.

from Uncle 'Jamie'

Was thinking of the Uncle Bob football team from Nairn. Apologies.

28 minutes ago, Dev said:

Was thinking of the Uncle Bob football team from Nairn. Apologies.

Uncle Bob ?  I'll have to have a word with him and his laddies. 

Seriously though, I don't anticipate any announcement (about a new NCL club), until after the remaining NCL fixtures have been completed in late May/early June.

However, I am anticipating that there will be a formal announcement about the 3 leagues joining the "pyramid", in advance of the 2021 SFA AGM, where I understand, they need to be officially ratified for 2021/22.

• 2 weeks later...

Any idea when the NCal have their AGM?

Wondering if their will be any new clubs and if there'll be confirmation of the league officially becoming part of the Highland Pyramid.

2 hours ago, Dev said:

Any idea when the NCal have their AGM?

Wondering if their will be any new clubs and if there'll be confirmation of the league officially becoming part of the Highland Pyramid.

For reference, last year's was in the evening on Sunday 21st June 2020.

On 12/05/2021 at 14:12, LeedsPhil said:

For reference, last year's was in the evening on Sunday 21st June 2020.

Thanks.

I assume that the league will be looking to start in July this season like other leagues.

14 hours ago, Dev said:

Thanks.

I assume that the league will be looking to start in July this season like other leagues.

its usually september for the NCL

13 hours ago, Marten said:

From what I read on FN, they will go back to a single division, likely of 12 teams. Bunillidh Thistle are not expected to return.

thats a pity:(

Now that the NCL is heading into the Highland Pyramid shouldn't it receive greater priority in the north compared to the local summer amateur leagues? Is this something which should change or will change?

In any case wouldn't it be wiser to start earlier this season - given the covid situation is uncertain? That would weaken some amateur clubs this time around but couldn't they manage to find enough players?

11 hours ago, Dev said:

Now that the NCL is heading into the Highland Pyramid shouldn't it receive greater priority in the north compared to the local summer amateur leagues? Is this something which should change or will change?

In any case wouldn't it be wiser to start earlier this season - given the covid situation is uncertain? That would weaken some amateur clubs this time around but couldn't they manage to find enough players?

i believe the players like it as it is,lets them play both.most of the NCL teams wouldnt be allowed to progress through the pyramid anyway so that would definitely be tail wagging dog

On 15/05/2021 at 21:44, highlandcowden said:

i believe the players like it as it is,lets them play both.most of the NCL teams wouldnt be allowed to progress through the pyramid anyway so that would definitely be tail wagging dog

Do you think that these traditions will alter say over the next few seasons? Will the NCL become the priority for the better local players in future, particularly as some clubs may be able to get Licenced. That would improve the facilities for players and spectators and there would be SFA Cup entry for Licenced clubs.

Edited by Dev

Can imagine that quite a few players would be keen to join and build a club to go from NCL upwards (unless they're all after the £) Only sticking point could be the cost involved in getting any grounds meeting criteria - agree with other  comments, let all clubs play in early rounds of the Scottish Cup,licensed or not. Add preliminary rounds ?

12 hours ago, Dev said:

Do you think that these traditions will alter say over the next few seasons? Will the NCL become the priority for the better local players in future, particularly as some clubs may be able to get Licenced. That would improve the facilities for players and spectators and there would be SFA Cup entry for Licenced clubs.

I think the NCL serves a purpose for players, officials and supporters in the north with regards to having competitive football in the winter months outwith the amateur season,that is the end in itself.i dont think becoming part of a pyramid will make any difference to most of these teams,anyone of them could have chosen at some point to try to go for the HFL, most of them arent interested i suspect.

i find the NCL to be a very well run league(see how covid has been handled),i suspect this will probably cease if it becomes part of the pyramid with its obsessions with key dates which do not take into account what winters like in the highlands,see the HFL over the last few years.ill be sorry if we lose a cracking wee league in the name of what purports to be progress

9 hours ago, highlandcowden said:

I think the NCL serves a purpose for players, officials and supporters in the north with regards to having competitive football in the winter months outwith the amateur season,that is the end in itself.i dont think becoming part of a pyramid will make any difference to most of these teams,anyone of them could have chosen at some point to try to go for the HFL, most of them arent interested i suspect.

i find the NCL to be a very well run league(see how covid has been handled),i suspect this will probably cease if it becomes part of the pyramid with its obsessions with key dates which do not take into account what winters like in the highlands,see the HFL over the last few years.ill be sorry if we lose a cracking wee league in the name of what purports to be progress

I completely agree with you that the NCL provides a reasonable standard of Saturday Winter football up here, outwith the HFL. The summer amateurs serve a different purpose. Yes, there's overlap in terms of players, but most are playing amateur for a reason.

I could see teams like Thurso, St Duthus, possibly Invergordon going down licencing routes, but I think likelihood of an NCL team stepping up to the HFL in the near future is slim. However, it's great the opportunity is going to be there (and for clubs to come down).

I disagree that the NCL organisation will deteriorate within the pyramid, the committee do fantastic work and given the smaller number of League fixtures I don't see too much issue in prioritising the league season over the cups, which can continue after any pyramid deadlines.

NCFA confirm start date for 2021-22 | Latest News - North Caledonian Football Association, Scotland (northcaleyfa.co.uk)

NCFA confirm start date for 2021-22

1. Home
  3. News
  5. NCFA confirm start date for 2021-22

Posted on Tuesday, May 18th, 2021

At a meeting of the management committee of the North Caledonian Football Association tonight, member clubs agreed upon a start date for the 2021-22 season, confirming that the new campaign will begin on Saturday August 21st.

Twelve member clubs (listed below) confirmed their entry for next season, which shall see the North Caledonian League return to a one division format, with 22 games set to be played. Two cup competitions will also be played for.

Registered for competition in 2021-22:
- Alness United
- Bonar Bridge
- Golspie Sutherland
- Halkirk United
- Invergordon
- Inverness Athletic
- Loch Ness
- Nairn County 'A'
- Orkney
- Scourie
- St. Duthus
- Thurso

Bunillidh Thistle, who will retain their membership of the association, have elected to sit out of competition for a further season.

Clubs will meet again on June 10th for the association's AGM, when cup competitions will be drawn.

9 hours ago, Eric's Cantina said:

Are fans going to be allowed in when the league restarts or will it be behind closed doors ?

Considering it's all tier 2, fans should be allowed.