North Caledonian League Expansion

Robert James

• 3 weeks later...

Scourie lead Nairn 1-0 for most of the 1st half and deserved their lead against a poor Nairn side.

Nairn lucky to equalise before half time but have been better in second half and 5-1 a fair result in the end.

On 14/11/2020 at 14:41, ShrimpLok said:

Scourie lead Nairn 1-0 for most of the 1st half and deserved their lead against a poor Nairn side.

Nairn lucky to equalise before half time but have been better in second half and 5-1 a fair result in the end.

Quick assessment - :the two divisional split is for one season only. Both divisions will be competitive this season.

The 1st Division is too close to call, although  Invergordon are my tip to become champions (as they would have been in 2019/20 had "points per game" been used to decide the outcome).. 

In the 2nd division, 'returning' NCL club Alness United,  are stronger than they were 2 years ago,  Inverness Athletic have benefitted from their partnership arrangements, and new club Loch Ness have adjusted well to the NCL, since being elevated from the I&DL. Nairn County Reserves are unpredictable, depending on the age/quality of which young players are selected for each match.

Fixture update -  21st November will see a battle of two basement clubs in the NCL 2nd division : Bonar Bridge v Scourie.. It will be interesting..... if nothing else !

Next season -: Bunillidh Thistle will return from 'abeyance' if the virus is under control.  If so, at least one (additional) amateur club is anticipated to apply to join the NCL for 2021/22.

Edited by Robert James
post sent in error before completed

• 2 weeks later...

Scourie could be giving up the ghost, bottling out of a cup game against last season's top of the table team..

Results so far:

Loch Ness 11-1 Scourie
Scourie 0-4 Inverness Athletic
Scourie 0-13 Alness United
Scourie 1-5 Nairn County 'A'
Bonar Bridge 5-0 Scourie

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

There's literally about 14 males in that whole region tbf.  Surprised they've even got a team.

Most of them retirees. I'd have thought Ullapool would be more practical, half of their squad probably come from there anyway. Maybe even draw a couple over from Stornoway.

Edited by welshbairn

Summer football (NW Sutherland league) is king in that part of the world. I took it that Scourie forming and joining the NCL was a way of giving the Kinlochbervie players a chance to play in the winter too. KLB use the pitch in Scourie.

Some Ullapool-based players had turned out for KLB and also for Lochinver in summer 2019's NW Sutherland league, but in February 2020 Lochbroom FC reformed bringing men's football back to Ullapool for those guys. But no NW Sutherland league took place in summer 2020 of course. All being well, Ullapool-based footballers will be playing in Ullapool in summer 2021.

Lochbroom's ground Morefield had gone into a state, with broken goals. But they've done some repairs. It's unclear to me whether they were / will be targetting playing there (grass), or on the school 3G - a cage perched up on high with a small area of covered seating but not much room between touchline and cage edge. I saw Lewis & Harris using that Ullapool School 3G for their only home fixture in the NCL cups last year, having nipped across as foot passengers on the ferry to meet Invergordon 'half way' rather than expecting the visitors to make the ferry journeys. L&H actually wore Western Isles logo kit that day (i.e. from the Island Games).

Edited by LeedsPhil

I always thought Scourie coming into the NCL was surprising, I'm sure a few folk including me commented on it when they were revealed as the "West Coast" applicant, Lochbroom seemed a more likely shout. I liked Morefield, it had a semi-enclosed feel about it with the trees and the banking, would be perfectly adequate for the NCL. I agree the High School 3G is a more likely venue now, it is a good facility. The Lewis & Harris women's team used it for their home games last year. They've resigned from the league now due to the travel issues.

9 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I really hope Scourie survive beyond the lockdown, they're number one on my bucket list right now. I fancy a long weekend at the self catering right beside the ground and stroll over from there to watch a game.  

I fancied an upstairs room in the B&B right by the ground, if it's pishing down you could watch out of the window. Think it's mothballed for covid.

28 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Tbf struggling in lower level doesn't bode well for next season when league returns to single division.

Might have a chance of staying off the bottom if Bunillidh Thistle return.

On 01/12/2020 at 14:26, welshbairn said:

I fancied an upstairs room in the B&B right by the ground, if it's pishing down you could watch out of the window. Think it's mothballed for covid.

It's not a B&B. As an expat from the village, it is still surprising to see the name pop up each week! But very much doubt it'll be a one and done scenario. 

11 minutes ago, MarkPockets said:

It's not a B&B. As an expat from the village, it is still surprising to see the name pop up each week! But very much doubt it'll be a one and done scenario. 

Think I was getting mixed up with this place round the corner.

https://cnoclochan.com/

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Think I was getting mixed up with this place round the corner.

https://cnoclochan.com/

Easily done! (actually cut grass in the summer there in younger times) Dont want people to get disappointed when they realise they wont actually be able to see the pitch from there! Will see the odd goal kick and get the ball in your garden though

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, highlandcowden said:

now they have lights to go with their walled in pitch are the SHFL obliged to let them in if they win the NCL1 this year?theyre still in with a chance.

I'd imagine that if the NCL becomes a recognised tier 6 league as planned (@NiallFH is the man in the know) the HFL would have no option but to accept a licenced champion. Equally, there is nothing stopping Golspie (or Banks o' Dee, for that matter) applying now, given they're both licenced. The question is would Golspie want promotion at the current time?