North Caledonian League Expansion

Robert James

35 minutes ago, Dev said:

There's two sides to every story and the SG can only think of football at Professional levels and doesn't reach beyond that. They don't even consider, let alone understand, that sport below professional levels is different because it is directly tied into its' local community. Maybe they think there's more votes in supporters of Pro clubs so the others aren't worth bothering with?

After the push by the EoSFL and WoSFL, Tier 6 and 7 (including the NCL) have been recognised as "professional" leagues, they weren't initially. As much as I don't think 20 odd folk spread around a ground is that much of an issue and it's really frustrating I can't go to any games, a line has to be drawn somewhere.

A mass of people turning up against advice and not appropriately distancing is not going to make the government and SFA more likely to change their mind, they'll just double down and then clubs will be penalised even more.

Obviously, not just talking about the NCL here.

Edited by Cyclizine

14 hours ago, GordonS said:

I'm sure no-one cares about a handful of fans watching Loch Ness FC, and I might go watch a game at a fence somewhere, and if there are too many people I'll turn straight round and go home.

^^^This.

9 hours ago, highlandcowden said:

get out and about plenty,ta

i like to see footy on saturday afternoons,though.strange for someone on a footy forum,i know

As do I, but given a choice between huddling outside an utterly inconsequential, closed door match like a weirdo or just doing something else instead, 'doing something else instead' wins every single time. I won't be standing on the hill behind the Sinclair Street end at Cappielow to watch a Championship game because it's both self-defeating to the club as well as an utterly shite way to spend my afternoon as well.

8 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

After the push by the EoSFL and WoSFL, Tier 6 and 7 (including the NCL) have been recognised as "professional" leagues, they weren't initially. As much as I don't think 20 odd folk spread around a ground is that much of an issue and it's really frustrating I can't go to any games, a line has to be drawn somewhere.

A mass of people turning up against advice and not appropriately distancing is not going to make the government and SFA more likely to change their mind, they'll just double down and then clubs will be penalised even more.

Obviously, not just talking about the NCL here.

The bottom line is that the NCL, Highland League and frankly every other level beneath the Premiership shouldn't be going ahead at all right now. It is self-defeating for clubs to talk on the one hand about important their product is to their community and so we need to let fans back in, when on the other hand they are willing to batter ahead anyway playing matches behind closed doors with little economic basis to do so (or community benefit at lower levels) and with no end in sight to the current restrictions.

Competitive football should simply be postponed until it can actually be enjoyed by its customer base and if that means summer football in 2021 or a longer hiatus then so be it.

Short version: Stop all football in Scotland unless they have a Sky TV contract until Vicky can have have a wee huddle under his tartan blanket at Cappielow. The NCL don't even charge for admission anyway, it's not a factor. If players decide the precautions and safety concerns over the virus aren't worth the bother, that's a different matter.

Edited by welshbairn

9 hours ago, Highland ITFC said:

“Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.” ― Douglas Bader

Pretty much sums up the situation with sport full-stop at present, & as supporters we're all being made the fool. Need some wise men (or women) leading in Government & sporting governing bodies, but sadly lacking at present.

Aye but he was legless most of the time.

17 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Are there any football pitch markings at the Loch Ness game? Hard to see any from this.

If there are I can't see them. Just got told they're meant to have yellow ones but they haven't been been painted yet. Think they're using some of the dashed white markings as indicators. 

Edited by welshbairn

Final score 11-1. From this and last week's friendly v Nairn St Ninian, Loch Ness look like walking the bottom half of the NCL. Scourie are obviously on a learning curve but they'll have an easier time in the fixtures coming up.

Edited by welshbairn

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Final score 11-1. From this and last week's friendly v Nairn St Ninian, Loch Ness look like walking the bottom half of the NCL. Scourie are obviously on a learning curve but they'll have an easier time in the fixtures coming up.

ill hold my judgement till i see them play the likes of alness or nairn tbh

decided on bonar bridge-halkirk today,decent game(1-2) on a lovely afternoon

re pitch markings at canal park,all i could see last week at the NSN friendly was rugby markings

Edited by highlandcowden

1 minute ago, highlandcowden said:

ill hold my judgement till i see them play the likes of alness or nairn tbh

decided on bonar bridge-halkirk today,decent game(1-2) on a lovely afternoon

Decent view? I'm basing my judgement only on watching Bunillidh Thistle v Inverness Athletic last season where the standard was a bit lacking. Loch Ness look very fit and well organised.

35 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Decent view? I'm basing my judgement only on watching Bunillidh Thistle v Inverness Athletic last season where the standard was a bit lacking. Loch Ness look very fit and well organised.

aye,it was fine,its just an open playing field so plenty of vantage points.as a game,i expected halkirk to massacre bonar bridge tbh but they competed well and it was an enjoyable game.halkirk probably edged it but they wouldnt have had any complaints if the result had gone the other way

19 hours ago, welshbairn said:

If there are I can't see them. Just got told they're meant to have yellow ones but they haven't been been painted yet. Think they're using some of the dashed white markings as indicators. 

Football pitch lines are all there. Have been since it was first opened. ICT use it, as have Clach, & now Loch Ness. Can't 100% remember the colour, but yellow I think, & It's clear when you're on the pitch. Can see them clearly from up on the clubhouse balcony. Will be nice to return there one day as it's a great vantage point to watch games....both rugby & football.

Unless they've redone the pitch at Canal Park and not painted them, there were definitely yellow football pitch markings at the Fort v Clach game in January.

Edit - Just seen Highland ITFC's post, yep I doubt the game would go ahead if there wasn't markings.

Edited by TheScarf

Inverness Athletic announce partnership with Clachnacuddin:

https://www.invernessathleticfc.co.uk/news_article.php?id=473

Inverness Athletic FC are excited to announce a new partnership with our Highland League neighbours Clachnacuddin FC. The partnership will see both clubs working together to develop the array of excellent young football talent in the city, with young players on the edge of the Clachnacuddin first team getting invaluable game time with Athletic in the North Caledonian League.

The partnership also gives Inverness Athletic players the opportunity to progress to Highland league level with a fantastic club, should they impress at North Caledonian level. The link also now gives Inverness Athletic the ability to offer players from the age of 8, through our link up with Balloan FC, a alternative pathway all the way to Highland League level, which is a fantastic step forward for the club.

Manager Jason Golabek said about the partnership, “The two clubs have decided to make a link together and Jordan has got players not playing at the level he wants them to be at the moment. We can bring them to play with us in the North Caledonian League and hopefully we can send them back to Clachnacuddin as better players. Our club is only four years old and we are obviously not as big or well known as Clachnacuddin are so for Inverness Athletic to have that association with Clach is a great relationship to have.”

We also got a word with Clachnacuddin Manager Jordan Macdonald, “We have a high number of players who are under 20 at the club, some are ready for Highland League and some aren’t but have the ability and a future at our club. This is a chance for these boys to be playing men’s football every week. Our boys can continue to play under-20’s football, but that doesn’t get you used to the standard of the Highland League and I want these boys to play in the North Caledonian League. There are a good standard of teams where they will come up against difficult players so It is the perfect opportunity for those players who we think will play in our first team eventually. They will learn a lot playing with Inverness Athletic and for me this is a match made in heaven.”

Chairman’s Sandy Stephen said, “This is an exciting partnership and one that we as a football club are delighted to be a part of. As Jason said we are only four years old as a club and to have a link with an established Highland league club is amazing. It is fantastic that along with Balloan FC we can now offer players an alternative pathway from youth football all the way to Highland League, which can only be a good thing. Thank you to Alex and everyone at Clachnacuddin for agreeing to the partnership and we look forward to working with them for many years to come.”

IMG_5535
Clachnacuddin chairman Alex Chisholm, manager Jordan MacDonald, Inverness Athletic manager Jason Golabek and chairman Sandy Stephen.
Picture: Donald Cameron

Scourie look to be on a steep learning curve.     

Golspie Sutherland    0-4    Invergordon    
    St. Duthus    5-5    Orkney    
    Halkirk United    4-0    Thurso    

Bonar Bridge    0-9    Alness United    
    Scourie    0-4    Inverness Athletic    
    Nairn County 'A'    2-3    Loch Ness