North Caledonian League Expansion

Robert James

4 minutes ago, GordonS said:

FWIW, it's nearer Thurso than Scourie.

You could probably see it a couple of seconds after take off from Scourie. It might be about the same driving time from Thurso as Scourie but it's a lot closer as the eagle flies.

16 hours ago, GordonS said:

I know, but I thought as Berwick is much further east it would be further away - Scourie is almost exactly north of Stranraer. But I just measured it and you're spot on, my mental trigonometry failed me. The furthest Scottish club from Scourie as the crow flies is St Cuthbert's Wanderers at 396.39km. Gretna is next, at 393.99km.

For trivia interest I make Scourie the third most westerly senior football club in Scotland after Stranraer and Fort William. 

Lewis and Harris FC's Ullapool ground is also slightly further west than Scourie if you count their occasional NCFA cup games as making them a senior club.  

On 29/06/2020 at 20:52, welshbairn said:

You could probably see it a couple of seconds after take off from Scourie. It might be about the same driving time from Thurso as Scourie but it's a lot closer as the eagle flies.

True, true.

SCOURIE FC being accepted into the North Caledonian League next season is a massive boost for football in North-West Sutherland.

That is the view of manager Tony Reynoldson, after their bid to join the North Caledonian Football Association was approved.

The club, along with fellow newcomers Loch Ness and Nairn County A, officially became members of the association and will play in the 2020/21 campaign.

Reynoldson (62) is delighted they have been given the chance to bring senior football to an area where it did not exist before.

“This is massive for the area,” he said.

“There is no winter football played in this area all the way down the west coast.

“The nearest place is Thurso which is over two hours away and the nearest place south is probably Kyle of Lochalsh.

“So it is a massive thing for this area.”

Reynoldson is manager of Kinlochbervie who play in the North West Sutherland League which has not been able to kick off this summer due to the coronavirus pandemic.

It is expected players from that squad will feature for Scourie as well as players from Durness, Gairloch, Scourie and Ullapool and throughout the west coast.

For one season only, the North Caledonian League will be split into two divisions.

Scourie along with fellow newcomers Loch Ness and Nairn County A, will play in Division Two, with Alness United, who are returning to the league after a year’s abeyance and last season’s bottom three NCL sides, Inverness Athletic, Bunillidh Thistle and Bonar Bridge.

The top six sides in the NCL last season, Invergordon, Thurso, Golspie Sutherland, St Duthus, Orkney and Halkirk United will play in Division One.

It is hoped that the two leagues will be merged into one again for the 2021/22 campaign.

Reynoldson supported the decision to divide the league into two due to the impact of Covid-19 and thinks it will be a good way to introduce themselves into senior football.

“I think it will be a good thing for clubs to give them a chance to bed themselves in before taking the better sides on. But the uncertainty of when the season can start also makes it a sensible decision.”

Despite being the smallest village in the North Caledonian League, Reynoldson believes Scourie will be embraced by the area and will have a big support.

“We have had a lot of congratulations from the community and people have stopped me on the street and wanted to talk to me about it,” he said.

“The main thing in the first season is to be competitive and then take things from there. The average age of the side is 21.

“It is a young side, but they should grow into the league then in three years’ time we should be aiming for mid-table or above.”

https://www.northern-times.co.uk/sport/scourie-entering-north-caledonian-league-massive-boost-for-football-in-north-west-sutherland-204201/

North Caledonian League club Inverness Athletic has announced that it has created a youth team to play in the North of Scotland Under 20's league next season.

The club has appointed Mike Hall as youth team Manager, who considers that :

"this is a new venture, and an exciting time for the club, and for me personally. To be able to offer young lads the opportunity to continue their football development at under 20's level is a fantastic step forward for this club."   

(As reported in the Inverness Courier)

10 hours ago, Robert James said:

North Caledonian League club Inverness Athletic has announced that it has created a youth team to play in the North of Scotland Under 20's league next season.

The club has appointed Mike Hall as youth team Manager, who considers that :

"this is a new venture, and an exciting time for the club, and for me personally. To be able to offer young lads the opportunity to continue their football development at under 20's level is a fantastic step forward for this club."   

(As reported in the Inverness Courier)

Indeed. Already discussed in the thread entitled North of Scotland Under 20s League.

15 hours ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Never been that far up into Scotland, what sort of league is the NCL, looked at places on the map - guessing it's villages with basic grounds etc. ? wonder how big the player pool is up there ?

A shade above amateur, I don’t know how they would compete against the lowest ranked East and old West juniors. The top 3-4 teams would be ok but the bottom 3-4 from the NCL wouldn’t fair well against a lot of amateur teams. There just isn’t the players around as all the best end up playing Highland League, or choosing to play for one of the better amateur teams... this will hopefully change now that the league is finally getting it’s actually together though

16 hours ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Never been that far up into Scotland, what sort of league is the NCL, looked at places on the map - guessing it's villages with basic grounds etc. ? wonder how big the player pool is up there ?

Just to give a rough example of standard. Golspie Sutherland enter the Scottish Cup each year and this is their results in that competition in the last decade

Nairn County 5 v 2 Golspie Sutherland

Golspie Sutherland 2 v 2 Fort William

Fort William 2 v 3 Golspie Sutherland

Girvan 4 v 0 Golspie Sutherland

Gala Fairydean 5 v 2 Golspie Sutherland

Hawick Royal Albert 1 v 4 Golspie Sutherland

Cove Rangers 7 v 0 Golspie Sutherland

Golspie Sutherland 0 v 4 Edinburgh City

Golspie Sutherland 1 v 4 Dalbeattie Star

Golspie Sutherland 1 v 5 Cove Rangers

Banks O’Dee 4 v 0 Golspie Sutherland

Glenafton Athletic 6 v 1 Golspie Sutherland

Golspie Sutherland 1 v 4 Burntisland Shipyard

Banks O’Dee 2 v 0 Golspie Sutherland

Years in bold are years Golspie won the NCL. Not too many humpings there against some decent teams but, then again, letting in 4 against Dalbeattie, Girvan and Burntisland doesn't scream high quality either.

12 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Just to give a rough example of standard. Golspie Sutherland enter the Scottish Cup each year and this is their results in that competition in the last decade

Nairn County 5 v 2 Golspie Sutherland

Golspie Sutherland 2 v 2 Fort William

Fort William 2 v 3 Golspie Sutherland

Girvan 4 v 0 Golspie Sutherland

Gala Fairydean 5 v 2 Golspie Sutherland

Hawick Royal Albert 1 v 4 Golspie Sutherland

Cove Rangers 7 v 0 Golspie Sutherland

Golspie Sutherland 0 v 4 Edinburgh City

Golspie Sutherland 1 v 4 Dalbeattie Star

Golspie Sutherland 1 v 5 Cove Rangers

Banks O’Dee 4 v 0 Golspie Sutherland

Glenafton Athletic 6 v 1 Golspie Sutherland

Golspie Sutherland 1 v 4 Burntisland Shipyard

Banks O’Dee 2 v 0 Golspie Sutherland

Years in bold are years Golspie won the NCL. Not too many humpings there against some decent teams but, then again, letting in 4 against Dalbeattie, Girvan and Burntisland doesn't scream high quality either.

Golspie are one of the top 3-4 I mentioned before. They always seem to get decent investment into their playing squad and seem to do well in the bigger games, even if the results don’t show it

1 minute ago, Spyro said:

Golspie are one of the top 3-4 I mentioned before. They always seem to get decent investment into their playing squad and seem to do well in the bigger games, even if the results don’t show it

Looking at their games they do seem to have goals in them but, I guess, lack of regular fixtures against a higher quality (and probably fitness levels) leaves them wanting at the back. Hopefully as the league improves and, eventually, a bit of movement to/from the HL they'll feel the benefit of it.

3 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Looking at their games they do seem to have goals in them but, I guess, lack of regular fixtures against a higher quality (and probably fitness levels) leaves them wanting at the back. Hopefully as the league improves and, eventually, a bit of movement to/from the HL they'll feel the benefit of it.

Definitely. The split in the league this season will help them. The introduction of Orkney has improved the standard too, there’s a couple decent clubs in there but the week to week standard isn’t great preparation for playing to bigger tier 5-6 teams. Thurso and Invergordon will hopefully kick on and Tain Saints are finding their feet now. With Alness back as well it shouldn’t be long before the league starts to earn it’s spot at tier 6 and looking at upsetting the bottom half of the highland league on a regular basis

30 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Last few years of the North of Scotland Cup aren't that great.

2019-20 Golspie Sutherland 0-9 Brora Rangers
2019-20 Wick Academy 5-2 Invergordon
2018-19 Ross County 7-1 Invergordon
2017-18 Wick Academy 0-0 Invergordon (Invergordon win 5-4 on penalties)
2017-18 Golspie Sutherland 2-3 Lossiemouth
2016-17 Tain St Duthus 0-9 Brora Rangers
2016-17 Golspie Sutherland 0-3 Rothes
2016-17 Fort William 3-0 Invergordon
2016-17 Halkirk United 0-3 Forres Mechanics