North Caledonian League Expansion

Robert James

On 27/04/2020 at 14:30, welshbairn said:

What happens if they win the NCL when the pyramid is up and running? I've no problem with colt teams playing in regional cups, but not in the league system.

Still no information about the date of the (virtual) NCL AGM ?

Alness has confirmed its re-entry into the NCL for 2020/21 (if the season is played ?). Does this mean that the other 3 applicants have also been notified by the NCL ?

• 2 weeks later...

The NCL been called as Null & Void for this season, not a good look when they are wanting to join the Pyramid system but as with higher leagues clubs obviously voting with there own interest at heart.

16 minutes ago, Samsonite said:

The NCL been called as Null & Void for this season, not a good look when they are wanting to join the Pyramid system but as with higher leagues clubs obviously voting with there own interest at heart.

The SoSFL declared null and void, they're actually in the pyramid.

47 minutes ago, Samsonite said:

There's no promotion from the NCL. There's no Scottish Cup place for the winner. It's not like there's a fortune in prize money to be won. Whether the null and void, postpone, call it as it is or do PPG is entirely up to the member clubs and doesn't harm them in any way or make them look good/bad one way or another.

The league management committee of the North Caledonian FA met on the evening of Sunday May 17th to address the specific matter of determining the outcome of the 2019-20 season, specifically the incomplete league competition and North Caledonian Cup.

The following motions for an outcome were proposed and seconded for consideration by means of a vote held by member clubs in attendance.

A - The league competition shall be cancelled and as such the league games played shall be declared void. The league trophy shall have no winner for 2019-20. In addition, the North Caledonian Cup will be cancelled.

B - The league competition shall be brought to conclusion and league placings shall be decided based on a Points Per Game (PPG) average calculated using games played to date. The club with the highest PPG average shall be awarded the league trophy for 2019.

By way of a majority, member clubs in attendance voted in favour of option A and the motion was thereafter confirmed.

League secretary, Sandy Stephen said, “Firstly, during this difficult and worrying time for everyone, we all hope that everyone connected to the North Caledonian Football Association and beyond are keeping save and well.”

“With regards to the incomplete League season and North Caledonian Cup, we recognise that there is no outcome that will satisfy every club. As an association we have worked hard over the past month or so to reach a decision to conclude the season that reflects the will of our member clubs by a clear majority, which we now have”

“To not end the season on the pitch is naturally disappointing, but every league in Scotland is facing this same problem at the moment. For the North Caledonian FA, the fact that there were so many possible winners of the league championship speaks volumes for the competitive strength of our league at present. Our league continues to grow, and it will continue to go from strength to strength when the new season comes around.”

Clubs shall reconvene in the coming weeks for a pre-AGM meeting to prepare for the 2020-21 campaign.

http://www.northcaleyfa.co.uk/news_article.php?id=109&fbclid=IwAR02h-1T2EpGzX5pfMxe0Nv88Kmc1Z7-4uwD_aBsgkLeB91uI79NtptnoWU

Edited by welshbairn

On 18/05/2020 at 10:21, AsimButtHitsASix said:

There's no promotion from the NCL. There's no Scottish Cup place for the winner. It's not like there's a fortune in prize money to be won. Whether the null and void, postpone, call it as it is or do PPG is entirely up to the member clubs and doesn't harm them in any way or make them look good/bad one way or another.

Update

Four additional clubs have applied to join the NCL for 2020/21 season

930790140_NorthCaledonianLeague.thumb.jpg.f705ee49519d56fc08785f93930636f3.jpg

Edited by Robert James

1 hour ago, Robert James said:

Update

Four additional clubs have applied to join the NCL for 2020/21 season

You mean on top of the four mentioned a month or so ago?

Edited by welshbairn

10 hours ago, welshbairn said:

You mean on top of the four mentioned a month or so ago?

The same 4 clubs as before, but not everyone on P&B is as knowledgeable as you regarding the HFL & NCL. 

However, there have been some enquiries from a couple of other clubs who normally play in the 'local' summer leagues, but who may not be able to do so this year, if the lock-down continues. 

Have you heard any rumours ?

1 minute ago, Robert James said:

The same 4 clubs as before, but not everyone on P&B is as knowledgeable as you regarding the HFL & NCL. 

However, there have been some enquiries from a couple of other clubs who normally play in the 'local' summer leagues, but who may not be able to do so this year, if the lock-down continues. 

Have you heard any rumours ?

I know a lot of the NCL players see their priority as with their summer league teams so some NCL teams struggle for numbers at the beginning and end of the season. Not sure about the rules but I think most of summer league teams are officially amateur, so they might struggle going back if they spend a season in the NCL? Some of the rules are very strict. Haven't heard any rumours, but sounds plausible, doubt the standard's much different between the bottom end of the NCL and the better summer league teams.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

I know a lot of the NCL players see their priority as with their summer league teams so some NCL teams struggle for numbers at the beginning and end of the season. Not sure about the rules but I think most of summer league teams are officially amateur, so they might struggle going back if they spend a season in the NCL? Some of the rules are very strict. Haven't heard any rumours, but sounds plausible, doubt the standard's much different between the bottom end of the NCL and the better summer league teams.

There used to be quite stringent rules on playing in Amateur FA competitions if you'd been on a "professional" contract like in the HFL or NCL, hence why historically the Welfare FA had a large grip on the north. I can't remember the exact rules, but as far as I remember, there was a cooling off period and a games limit. Someone like @Spyro or @NiallFH might remember better.

The forms are much simpler now and the local leagues all SAFA. As you say, most NCL players have summer amateur clubs they turn out for.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

No doubt it will all become clear at the North Caley AGM whenever it is held. (?).  I won't be surprised if one extra (new) club submits an application, before the NCL's  AGM.  

A Pre-AGM - what's that all about ?

1 hour ago, Cyclizine said:

There used to be quite stringent rules on playing in Amateur FA competitions if you'd been on a "professional" contract like in the HFL or NCL, hence why historically the Welfare FA had a large grip on the north. I can't remember the exact rules, but as far as I remember, there was a cooling off period and a games limit. Someone like @Spyro or @NiallFH might remember better.

The forms are much simpler now and the local leagues all SAFA. As you say, most NCL players have summer amateur clubs they turn out for.

I can’t remember the exact details (it was over 10 years when I played up there) but limited games does ring a bell, possibly with more relaxed rules between these leagues than others. It has probably all changed between then and now though. The under 20’s (or 19’s?!) I played with had a different set of rules so my memory is a bit hazy on who was allowed to do what 

Any speculation out there about which Inverness Amateurs may even have a suitable ground/changing rooms for the NCL? Loch Ness have already declared their intentions. Are there any possibles from elsewhere, in addition to the Inverness Amateurs?

Black Isle United (Culbokie) have a good (from Streetview) ground.

Inverness  & Dist Amat Lg 2020
Prem
Avoch
Contin
Ferrybache
ICM Electrical
IRN Security
Loch Ness
Maryburgh
NMM Sams
Nth Kessock(?)

Tomatin

Div.1
Ardersier
Balloan
Black Rock Rovers (Evanton)
Charlestelona
Culloden Blacksmiths
Hill Rovers (Farr)
Innes CI
Merkinch
Muir of Ord Rovers
Div.2
Black Isle United (Culbokie)
Conon Bridge
Drakies PDG
Fortrose & Rosemarkie Union
Gairloch/Aultbea United
Highland Aviation
NHS Highland
Norbord Cleanco
Tomatin United
Uncle Bob's

The NCL doesn't really have ground requirements as such, other than suitable changing rooms and ability to rope off the pitch.

Pretty much all the amateur grounds, probably with the exception of the ones who play on the Bught, given the shared pavilion, would likely be okay.

Pavilion Park, North Kessock and Farr have been used for NCL football in the last decade or so. Coronation Park is an ex-venue.

2 hours ago, Spyro said:

Would love to see Avoch have a go. Their ground with a decent crowd around it is something to behold, can get a cracking wee atmosphere with not too many people

A predecessor of the current Avoch amateur team (the Rovers) have certainly been NCL members in the past. I agree Coronation Park is a great venue.

On 23/05/2020 at 11:03, Dev said:

Any speculation out there about which Inverness Amateurs may even have a suitable ground/changing rooms for the NCL? Loch Ness have already declared their intentions. Are there any possibles from elsewhere, in addition to the Inverness Amateurs?

Black Isle United (Culbokie) have a good (from Streetview) ground.

Inverness  & Dist Amat Lg 2020
Prem
Avoch
Contin
Ferrybache
ICM Electrical
IRN Security
Loch Ness
Maryburgh
NMM Sams
Nth Kessock(?)

Tomatin

Div.1
Ardersier
Balloan
Black Rock Rovers (Evanton)
Charlestelona
Culloden Blacksmiths
Hill Rovers (Farr)
Innes CI
Merkinch
Muir of Ord Rovers
Div.2
Black Isle United (Culbokie)
Conon Bridge
Drakies PDG
Fortrose & Rosemarkie Union
Gairloch/Aultbea United
Highland Aviation
NHS Highland
Norbord Cleanco
Tomatin United
Uncle Bob's

In addition to Loch Ness, at least one of the above Inverness & District League clubs has also expressed an interest in joining the NCL next season. Not sure if the club concerned has submitted an application. No official closing date for NCL applications has been announced, as far as I am aware, but I suspect that any such applications  would have to be submitted in advance of the North Caley AGM (or pre-AGM ?).

Both Loch Ness and Scourie (NW Sutherland) have referred to their intention to join the NCL on their own websites. Loch Ness have confirmed that the club wants to retain its (summer) amateur XI, in addition to joining the seniors.

Edited by Robert James
post sent in error before completed