North Caledonian League Expansion

Robert James

11 hours ago, Spyro said:

Would it not be more sensible to do something like this to create and buffer between the NCL and other leagues to becoming a licensed Highland League club?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/10XDSqccvoSEoVHbIgAVdoO9TDWKsgHNu-Bue5Xm40iI

I think Fort would rather drop straight down to level 7 if that came in, Nairn as well probably. 

11 hours ago, Spyro said:

Would it not be more sensible to do something like this to create and buffer between the NCL and other leagues to becoming a licensed Highland League club?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/10XDSqccvoSEoVHbIgAVdoO9TDWKsgHNu-Bue5Xm40iI

Can only go with who is interested and the North Juniors aren’t 

13 hours ago, Burnieman said:

Is this league seriously wanting to sit at tier 6? It makes the SoS look positively advanced facilities wise.

The answer is "yes" according to North Caledonian League officials, and from the clubs themselves. In case you haven't read them, there are some highland newspaper articles, which have been posted (recently) on this forum. There have also been discussions with the SFA and with the Highland League, during the past year. Both bodies appear to be receptive to the NCL joining the pyramid.

The North Caledonian League represents the clubs and communities in the north & west highlands and islands, the city of Inverness, and Moray. There are no junior clubs in this vast region (with the exception of Nairn St Ninians), so there is geographic integrity (between the 2 leagues), with no overlap with the North Region Juniors.

Even IF the North Juniors decided to join the highland pyramid (still unlikely according to a recent recent press report), its clubs have no interest in playing in a combined  highland pyramid feeder league, because of the travelling distances, geography, and climate, which makes it totally impractical for more than a couple of its junior clubs.  A year ago Banks O'Dee, were invited to fill the vacancy in the Highland League, caused by the promotion of Cove Rangers to the SPFL. The junior club declined the invitation.   

The original suggestion was to have 2 feeder Highland leagues (NRJFA and NCL), with a play-off between their champion clubs, if  both are licensed. Currently only Banks O'Dee, and Golspie Sutherland are, but if there is ever to be a pyramid beneath the Highland League, it can only be at Tier 6.  However pyramid status may well act as a stimulus to some of the NCL clubs to develop their facilities. It will also provide a 'safety net' for clubs like Fort William, Clachnacuddin, Nairn County, Wick Academy, etc,  should they be relegated from the Highland League in a future/extended northern pyramid. 

I myself believe that to be truly "national", the pyramid should be open to any clubs within Scotland, with no exclusion for clubs which represent communities in the remote parts of the country. I would have thought that a pyramid supporter like you, would have welcomed the inclusion of the NCL beneath the HFL ?   It is at least a start, whilst the Juniors 'dither'.

7 hours ago, Robert James said:

There are no junior clubs in this vast region (with the exception of Nairn St Ninians)

There are seven six junior teams in Moray.

Nairn St Ninian, Forres Thistle, Burghead Thistle, Dufftown, New Elgin, Buckie Rovers and Islavale.

Edited to point out I've been a fanny and included Nairn in Moray... also that I think Robert James is just referring to the Highland Council area rather than including Moray, apologies

Edited by Cyclizine

21 hours ago, Burnieman said:

Is this league seriously wanting to sit at tier 6? It makes the SoS look positively advanced facilities wise.

If they want to join the pyramid there isn't anywhere else for them to go. A bit like the SoS, Tier 6 clearly isn't their level, but it's the only option.

Edited by craigkillie

1 hour ago, Cyclizine said:

There are seven junior teams in Moray.

Nairn St Ninian, Forres Thistle, Burghead Thistle, Dufftown, New Elgin, Buckie Rovers and Islavale.

Nairn's in the Highlands.  Spey Valley United in Cromdale are a junior side in the Highlands as well (if they're still going).

Edited by Highland Capital

14 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Nairn isn't in Moray.  Spey Valley United in Cromdale are a junior side though they're within the Highlands (if they're still going).

You're absolutely right. I was replying to Robert James' statement that there were no Junior teams in Moray/Highland apart from Nairn Saints and somehow included Nairn in Moray 🤦🏼‍♂️, although in retrospect I think he was meaning no junior clubs in Highland: and as you say Spey Valley Utd play out of Cromdale.

(I think Cromdale and Grantown used to be in Moray until the 70s off the top of my head...)

Edited by Cyclizine

5 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

There are seven six junior teams in Moray.

Edited to point out I've been a fanny and included Nairn in Moray... also that I think Robert James is just referring to the Highland Council area rather than including Moray, apologies

Correct ; hence Nairn St Ninian is the only junior club which is in the Highland Council area, where there is any geographical overlap with any North Caley club (ie Nairn County who currently play in  some of the NCL cup competitions).

4 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

You're absolutely right. I was replying to Robert James' statement that there were no Junior teams in Moray/Highland apart from Nairn Saints and somehow included Nairn in Moray 🤦🏼‍♂️, although in retrospect I think he was meaning no junior clubs in Highland: and as you say Spey Valley Utd play out of Cromdale.

(I think Cromdale and Grantown used to be in Moray until the 70s off the top of my head...)

At my age, I find it hard to get to grips with the council boundary changes !

3 hours ago, ShrimpLok said:

Cromdale has been in Banffshire, Inverness-shire (detached part), Morayshire, Badenoch and Strathspey and now Highland. Can't make up its mind which county it wants to be in.

And has a Perth postcode 🙈😂

9 hours ago, Spyro said:

And has a Perth postcode 🙈😂

Does it?  It's funny you should mention that, as I was reading an article about rural Highland football and it described Cromdale as 'Perthshire'.

Edit - Just had a look on Wikipedia there and apparently Fort William, Fort Augustus and the Isle of Rum amongst others also have a Perthshire postcode.  Strange.

Edited by Highland Capital

3 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Plenty of places have postcodes that are miles away from the area the letters represent. Morvern is in the Highland area, but has a Paisley postcode.

scotland-postcode-map.gif

The 'Outward Code' (The left hand letter/number combination) is an instruction to direct mail to reach the local-ish main sorting office.

The 'Inward Code' (The right hand letter/number combination) is then an instruction to direct mail to reach the actual address from the MSO.