North Caledonian League Expansion

Robert James

19 minutes ago, Dev said:

Does this mean that they are aiming at the NCL? Would that be as Point FC or would they be a Western Isles FC or Lewis/Harris FC?

I'm fairly sure they'll be sticking with the Lewis & Harris League. Most of the communities have excellent and well maintained pitches.

Lewis & Harris FC already exist as a select team and play in a couple of NCL cups.

Edited by Cyclizine

19 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

Peebles Rovers share their ground with cricket and have done for decades, no reason why that arrangement at NMP couldn't work.

Very common scenario down in England where of course there's a lot more cricket played, & accordingly a lot of recreation grounds / parks are set up for football in the winter & cricket in the summer. There's even overlap in spring & autumn, so the two definitely aren't mutually exclusive. Just needs decent care taken of the football pitches / cricket outfield.

18 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

I'm fairly sure they'll be sticking with the Lewis & Harris League. Most of the communities have excellent and well maintained pitches.

Lewis & Harris FC already exist as a select team and play in a couple of NCL cups.

Most grounds/ptiches are very well maintained all over the Western Isles. I've seen Barra FC play and their ground was in excellent condition. They clearly put a lot of work in.

36 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Do you know whereabouts exactly the site was at North Kessock?

Ferry Brae, by the school. To be fair, I don't think it was actually Inverness City that got chucked off the pitch for bad language. Fairly sure it was North Kessock AFC of the Inverness Amateurs.

13 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

Ferry Brae, by the school. To be fair, I don't think it was actually Inverness City that got chucked off the pitch for bad language. Fairly sure it was North Kessock AFC of the Inverness Amateurs.

Ta. It never got as far as a planning application so they weren't formal objections? I don't know why they weren't told to f**k off. 

2 hours ago, GordonS said:

Ta. It never got as far as a planning application so they weren't formal objections? I don't know why they weren't told to f**k off. 

Can't remember the full story and this link no longer works. Google isn't helping either. "they" means Inverness City I think.

On 22/05/2018 at 14:55, welshbairn said:

Not sure of the current situation at North Kessock, but here's a fun background on how they originally got the pitch. :lol:

https://www.north-star-news.co.uk/News/Ross-team-turfed-out-of-home-in-swearing-row-3185.htm

P.S. I think North Kessock FC got the pitch back.

On 02/03/2020 at 13:55, welshbairn said:

The Northern Meeting Park was used by Inverness City for a bit, but there were complaints that the grass was cut up too much for Summer cricket. Shame they couldn't find a solution, it would be a great place for football. Someone might correct me on the details, it was before I moved up here.

I watched a few games there back then. The stand is great and with the central location City got half decent crowds too. However, the deal they made was that they would move out when the cricket season started, which was obviously before the football season ended. When that came about City kicked up a fuss, despite having previously agreed to it.

A similar situation to their reaction on having to leave the Bught a few years later. 

It is a shame that something couldn't be worked out for the NMP though as it is a great venue and underused. 

On 04/03/2020 at 10:48, Highland ITFC said:

Very common scenario down in England where of course there's a lot more cricket played, & accordingly a lot of recreation grounds / parks are set up for football in the winter & cricket in the summer. There's even overlap in spring & autumn, so the two definitely aren't mutually exclusive. Just needs decent care taken of the football pitches / cricket outfield.

Bath RFC in the Premiership share with a cricket club. So their biggest stand is temporary, erected at the start of each season. Meaning if they ever get relegated, they wont be eligible for promotion.

Off-topic but potentially interesting. 

On 03/03/2020 at 17:55, calmac25 said:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2595558937396036&id=1578980022387271

Point FC from Lewis building a 100 seater stand, get them in the pyramid!

They've already got about 50 seats at the other side of the park, maybe they're after stealing cup finals from Goathill...

https://scottishfootballgroundswordpresscom.wordpress.com/2016/05/19/football-in-lewis-and-harris/

On 06/03/2020 at 16:14, The Mantis said:

They've already got about 50 seats at the other side of the park, maybe they're after stealing cup finals from Goathill...

https://scottishfootballgroundswordpresscom.wordpress.com/2016/05/19/football-in-lewis-and-harris/

A very good article and some excellent photographs of the various football grounds in the Western Isles.

One omission though is  a reference to Lewis & Harris FC, who play in some of the North Caledonian cup competitions (in winter football).  Where do they play their home NCL Cup matches ? 

Also, I understand there is a women's team, who play winter amateur football. Is this correct ? 

PS  I had a wonderful/unique holiday in the Western Isles in 2007. Apologies, as self indulgent, and "off topic" ! 

On 05/03/2020 at 22:15, Waspie said:

I watched a few games there back then. The stand is great and with the central location City got half decent crowds too. However, the deal they made was that they would move out when the cricket season started, which was obviously before the football season ended. When that came about City kicked up a fuss, despite having previously agreed to it.

A similar situation to their reaction on having to leave the Bught a few years later. 

It is a shame that something couldn't be worked out for the NMP though as it is a great venue and underused. 

It was probably the inflexibility of the Juniors in not allowing them to borrow another pitch for a handful of games, if that, in early and late summer as well.  I think the cricketers kicked up a fuss about the state the grass was in too, both solvable issues I'd have thought. Inverness Athletic's current arrangement at the Royal Academy isn't ideal and they don't have a whole lot of fixtures to cut the the pitch up too badly, doubt the powers that be would allow it though. I live just round the corner, they'd get a lot more people getting interested in watching than having to trek up to Asda and stand around a wire fence.

5 hours ago, Robert James said:

Where do they play their home NCL Cup matches ? 

Ullapool High School.

5 hours ago, Robert James said:

Also, I understand there is a women's team, who play winter amateur football. Is this correct ? 

They played in the Highlands and Islands League, which like all women's football in Scotland is Summer season. I don't think they have entered this year. They also played in Ullapool.

5 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

Ullapool High School.

They played in the Highlands and Islands League, which like all women's football in Scotland is Summer season. I don't think they have entered this year. They also played in Ullapool.

Thank you for clarifying the grounds used by the NCL and the Woimen's team.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, cmontheloknow said:

Any suggestion where they'd play?

They want Fraser Park, been offered Bught Park. The late Inverness City will be turning in their grave.

Three other unnamed clubs have applied.

Edited by welshbairn

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

They want Fraser Park, been offered Bught Park. The late Inverness City will be turning in their grave.

Three other unnamed clubs have applied.

Bught Park on a municipal unenclosed pitch or on the bit City improved (assuming any of it is left)?