North Caledonian League Expansion

Robert James

On 18/07/2019 at 12:54, Jimmy Shaker said:

That Highland Hundred thing is a farce. The author forgot to check the guy he had write the book for him remembered to include a piece on Lossie. 

As for the rest of this page, WTF. 

bill mcallister in talking shite shocker!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Robert James said:

According to the HFL website, Ullapool FC has entered the U17 League (North) for 2019/20. Anyone know anything about this club, eg where do they play their home games ?  Perhaps a future NCL club in 2 or 3 years.

My guess would be the 3g pitch at the High School. Unless they're connected with Loch Broom FC whose Morefield pitch is looking a bit tired, as they say on Tripadvisor.

image.png.a90dfeaade041eb1b7d4e323149d853c.png

They're Ullapool Juniors who have been running age group teams for years. Lochbroom are the local adult amateur side, although inactive this season. The teams are linked, I believe.

I'd say@welshbairn is right about the pitches. There is a newish 3G at the high school, which is where Lewis & Harris WFC play. Morefield is wooded along three sides with an embankment along the other, so it has a bit of an enclosed feel about it. Not been for years though and that photo above doesn't inspire confidence!

On 28/07/2019 at 12:35, welshbairn said:

My guess would be the 3g pitch at the High School. Unless they're connected with Loch Broom FC whose Morefield pitch is looking a bit tired, as they say on Tripadvisor.

image.png.a90dfeaade041eb1b7d4e323149d853c.png

Oh dear. Not very encouraging. 

On 28/07/2019 at 13:19, Cyclizine said:

They're Ullapool Juniors who have been running age group teams for years. Lochbroom are the local adult amateur side, although inactive this season. The teams are linked, I believe.

I'd say@welshbairn is right about the pitches. There is a newish 3G at the high school, which is where Lewis & Harris WFC play. Morefield is wooded along three sides with an embankment along the other, so it has a bit of an enclosed feel about it. Not been for years though and that photo above doesn't inspire confidence!

I knew that Lewis & Harris Women's team played in Ullapool, but didn't know where, as I haven't been to Ullapool for about 30 years. Morefield sounds like a decent venue for football at this level. Thanks. 

• 2 months later...
On 22/06/2019 at 11:47, Spyro said:

Hopefully he finds his way here, top guy. I worked in Tain a lot and we crossed paths but only very briefly. I know he will have the knowledge though

Love finding posts like these! Stumbled upon this post via Google searching the league.

11 hours ago, NiallFH said:

Love finding posts like these! Stumbled upon this post via Google searching the league.

Welcome to the madhouse Niall! 🙌

The Highland chat has been quiet recently but good to see you on board and here to keep us right in our wild assumptions of what’s happening up there 👍

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 04/10/2019 at 11:28, Spyro said:

Welcome to the madhouse Niall! 🙌

The Highland chat has been quiet recently but good to see you on board and here to keep us right in our wild assumptions of what’s happening up there 👍

Good news as Golspie Sutherland has been given planning approval to install floodlights at St Georges Park (Nov 2019)

2 hours ago, Robert James said:

Good news as Golspie Sutherland has been given planning approval to install floodlights at St Georges Park (Nov 2019)

Odd that they have permission for a ground they don't even play at...

23 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

Odd that they have permission for a ground they don't even play at...

To clarify :

On 15th Nov 2019, the  Highland Council granted approval to Golspie Sutherland FC's planning application for the erection of six floodlights at King George V Playing Fields, aka  " King George V Park".

To rectify any confusion, St George's Park (aka "The Dammies") is Thurso FC's ground, where there is/has been a problem with the council, regarding pitch drainage.  

2 hours ago, Robert James said:

To clarify :

On 15th Nov 2019, the  Highland Council granted approval to Golspie Sutherland FC's planning application for the erection of six floodlights at King George V Playing Fields, aka  " King George V Park".

To rectify any confusion, St George's Park (aka "The Dammies") is Thurso FC's ground, where there is/has been a problem with the council, regarding pitch drainage.  

Yes, I know, I stay here.

By the way, Thurso play at Sir George's Park. St George's Park is the English National Football Centre.

I'll stop the pedantry now... 

52 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

By the way, Thurso play at Sir George's Park. St George's Park is the English National Football Centre.

It's not pedantry to correct an error, is it?

5 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

I knew that your post was 'humorous' My .clarification' was aimed at any other posters who are not North Caley followers. I've been to Golspie's ground on a number of occasions, and still have a 1960's SFA booklet entitled "Offical List Of Clubs and Colours" (1966 edition), when Golspie were Associoate Members. 

Even though I have been to The Dammies on a few occasions, I always mistakenly  thought it was "Saint" not "Sir".  Thanks  for the clarification........and best wishes for 2020.

Surely talk of Golspie one day joining the Highland League is fanciful. Even in Scottish Cup ties the crowd is often on par with the number of players on the pitch plus those in the dug outs! 

The NCL will likely tick along on its own with numbers fluctuating season by season. Possibly only Thurso or, more controversially, Orkney could ever aspire to be HL clubs although that probably won't ever happen due to geographic and financial issues. 

The North Juniors are the natural feeder to the HL even if few are interested. They will probably stay outside the pyramid and just do their own thing. 

Longterm, the HL should join the top three in the LL to compete for the SFL place against club 42. With the LL soon to encompass the West Juniors, the population and membership ratios dictate the LL area deserve much more than a 50% opportunity to advance. 

Leave the wee teams where they want to play! 

Realistically, the teams from the NCL that had potential to step up to the HFL have already done so. It's essentially an amateur league, although to be fair, outwith a few clubs, so are the North Juniors.

A nice symmetrical Scottish pyramid structure, beloved of the spreadsheet pyramidistas, isn't going to work: the North is a different kettle of fish to the lands south of the mystical Tay Bridge boundary. I agree the disparity in promotion places between Highland and Lowland is inequitable, difficult to see how it can be solved fairly, though.

But, let's not derail the thread with pyramid chat, there's enough of that elsewhere...

6 hours ago, Robert James said:

Even though I have been to The Dammies on a few occasions, I always mistakenly  thought it was "Saint" not "Sir".  Thanks  for the clarification........and best wishes for 2020.

Named after Sir George Sinclair, a famous (in Caithness, anyway) politician. It's on Sir George's Street aka the A9 as it passed through Thurso.

Happy New Year.

18 hours ago, Top of Meeks Road said:

Surely talk of Golspie one day joining the Highland League is fanciful. Even in Scottish Cup ties the crowd is often on par with the number of players on the pitch plus those in the dug outs! 

The NCL will likely tick along on its own with numbers fluctuating season by season. Possibly only Thurso or, more controversially, Orkney could ever aspire to be HL clubs although that probably won't ever happen due to geographic and financial issues. 

The North Juniors are the natural feeder to the HL even if few are interested. They will probably stay outside the pyramid and just do their own thing. 

Longterm, the HL should join the top three in the LL to compete for the SFL place against club 42. With the LL soon to encompass the West Juniors, the population and membership ratios dictate the LL area deserve much more than a 50% opportunity to advance. 

Leave the wee teams where they want to play! 

I would like to see the north juniors joining the pyramid in the near future.

However if this happens, the N&W Highlands & Islands, and the City of Inverness must also have a (parallel) pyramid feeder league. The reasons are :

* the top 4 or 5 NCL clubs, Golspie, Thurso, Invergordon, St Duthus, Orkney are stronger than the lower north junior clubs, and better organised in my view. In the Scottish Cup (2nd Preliminary Round) this season, the following result between the NRJFA & NCL champion clubs, was recorded :  Banks O'Dee  2  Golspie Sutherland  0

*  if a northern pyramid is created at tier 6, with HFL relegation & promotion  for clubs which meet the required standards, then there would need to be a 'trapdoor' feeder league for the likes of current HFL clubs like Fort William, Brora Rangers, Clachnacuddin, Wick Academy, etc, in order that they can 'rise again'. These clubs have history and affiliation with the NCL/North of Scotland FA, and not with the juniors

* there are periodically some NCL clubs which are ambitious, eg St Duthus currently

* yes the north juniors do have some stronger clubs at present, but if both champions had to participate in a play-off for HFL promotion, so what ? The stronger club would usually win, in the same way that the South of Scotland League champions will be unlikely to triumph over East (& West ?) 'senior' champion clubs. Is that a reason to strip the SoSL of its pyramid status ? Not in my view

* geography dictates that the vast area north of the HFL/SLL boundary, needs a regionalised structure at tier 6 and below, if it is ever to be created and succeed.

As you say, I agree that the "wee clubs", should (and must) be able to play where the want. However the NCL clubs have signalled their interest in joining the pyramid, if/when the north juniors also join it.

This post is off topic, but there is a contrary view to the one you suggest above.