North Caledonian League Expansion

Robert James

2 hours ago, Whitburn Vale said:

Bonar Bridge were represented at the recent NCL agm.

They have applied to join for next season subject to a ground inspection etc.

Great news for the NCL to get up to 10 teams,a good turnaround in fortunes for the league in the last few years.

Great news, the pitch up the top of the hill always looks lush so no problems there I imagine 

Good stuff, will be good to see another team join the NCL. Assuming this is a continuance of the old Bonar team which dissolved in 2010? Haven't been up that way in a wee while, will need to try and catch a game at some point.

On 31/05/2019 at 17:50, FairWeatherFan said:

You'll be happy to hear this year's rumour is a return of Bonar Bridge. They last played in the 2010-11 season.

Yes, Bonar Bridge have signalled their wish/intention to rejoin the North Caley League. Their inclusion can't be confirmed however,  until the NCL's AGM, which is usually held in mid July each year.  Fingers crossed for a tenth NCL club in 2019/20.

from Uncle Bob

39 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Does Niall post here at all? He’s your man for all things Tain, and NCL. He will have a good idea.

I don't know Niall personally but I contributed into their start up fund to get Tain St Duthus Fc back into the NCL.

We chatted via e-mail and the Fitba North forum.

Niall and the guys have done a great job up there over the past few years!!

Tain like Duns in the borders is a cracking wee toun!!

45 minutes ago, Whitburn Vale said:

I don't know Niall personally but I contributed into their start up fund to get Tain St Duthus Fc back into the NCL.

We chatted via e-mail and the Fitba North forum.

Niall and the guys have done a great job up there over the past few years!!

Tain like Duns in the borders is a cracking wee toun!!

Hopefully he finds his way here, top guy. I worked in Tain a lot and we crossed paths but only very briefly. I know he will have the knowledge though

On ‎22‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 07:22, PRS said:

Just out of curiosity, do any of the NCL teams have a following? What are typical attendances?

in my limited experience,not a huge amount and a lot of them seem to be guys not playing but clearly linked with one or other team,girlfriends etc. nice league to go to watch though imo

20 minutes ago, highlandcowden said:

in my limited experience,not a huge amount and a lot of them seem to be guys not playing but clearly linked with one or other team,girlfriends etc. nice league to go to watch though imo

Decent attendances at Thurso, Tain, and Golspie in particular. Weather permitting !  Not sure about Orkney, as haven't been to their home ground.

Does anyone have an update about Golspie's situation regarding the installation of floodlights, now that the SFA has made them mandatory for membership/licensing ?

1 hour ago, highlandcowden said:

Think I'll give it a go following Inverness Athletic this season. Been to all the Highland League grounds a few times now, it would be good to get to know the North a bit better.

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Think I'll give it a go following Inverness Athletic this season. Been to all the Highland League grounds a few times now, it would be good to get to know the North a bit better.

I assume youre aware that home for them now seems to be the all weather pitch at the IRA;lovely in the sun,not so when the weathers rolling up the great glen....

2 minutes ago, highlandcowden said:

I assume youre aware that home for them now seems to be the all weather pitch at the IRA;lovely in the sun,not so when the weathers rolling up the great glen....

I knew they'd moved back from Muir of Ord but wasn't sure where. Bit of a trek for me, used to be a short stroll round the corner to Bught Park when Inverness City (RIP) played there, then sometimes walked along the river to catch the 2nd half at Grant Street.

15 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I knew they'd moved back from Muir of Ord but wasn't sure where. Bit of a trek for me, used to be a short stroll round the corner to Bught Park when Inverness City (RIP) played there, then sometimes walked along the river to catch the 2nd half at Grant Street.

its all downhill so a bike would get you from a 2pm ko at athletic to the 2nd half of clach in time

On 23/06/2019 at 16:14, highlandcowden said:

Apparently staying at the I R A for 2019/20, whilst planing a different venue in the not too distant future.  But will this plan be successful, as Inverness City juniors, failed to find a home after its Bught lease ended ? 

5 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Apparently staying at the I R A for 2019/20, whilst planing a different venue in the not too distant future.  But will this plan be successful, as Inverness City juniors, failed to find a home after its Bught lease ended ? 

inverness city had far more stringent pitch criteria with being in the juniors

2 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Nice pitch in Muir of Ord going to waste now... :whistle

They were a great team when I stayed there, can’t believe they haven’t even got an Amateur team on the go now

pretty sure muir of ord were playing in the  highland amateur cup this year

3 minutes ago, highlandcowden said:

inverness city had far more stringent pitch criteria with being in the juniors

pretty sure muir of ord were playing in the  highland amateur cup this year

Correct regarding Inverness City, but don't forget that as a new club, they joined the NCL, playing their home matches at North Kessock.

Small beginnings for City, and now for Inverness Athletic, who appear to be progressive. Let's hope they are successful, as the NCL needs an Inverness club.