North Caledonian League Expansion

Robert James

4 hours ago, Marten said:

Interesting, I wonder how they manage it with Lewis and Harris in there?

By only playing 14 games each over the Summer!

1 hour ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I know Nairn ladies played them in Ullapool a few weeks back. I don't know if that's where they play all their home games though.

Aye, Lewis & Harris are playing all home games in Ullapool. Kirkwall City, randomly are playing in Dounby, rather than any of the Kirkwall pitches.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/05/2019 at 16:14, Cyclizine said:

True, I forgot that. Flying is still unrealistic, even if it's the fastest as it's massively expensive for a squad of players and staff. Even foot passengers on the ferry takes ages and would be expensive. I could see perhaps an islands side negotiating to enter the Scottish Cup as a special case, but not sustained league competition.

Orkney FC play in the North Caley League, and were champions in 2017/18, but  3rd in 2018/19.  Shetland FC and Lewis & Harris FC both play in one or two NCL cup competitions, subject to weather. Skye surprisingly don't participate in any.

A subsidy from the SFA to fund Scottish Cup entry, would be unlikely, as the northern and western isles are 'far away o'er the sea'.   Shame though, as it would be a great away day (or weekend) for fans.

10 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Orkney FC play in the North Caley League, and were champions in 2017/18, but  3rd in 2018/19.  Shetland FC and Lewis & Harris FC both play in one or two NCL cup competitions, subject to weather. Skye surprisingly don't participate in any.

A subsidy from the SFA to fund Scottish Cup entry, would be unlikely, as the northern and western isles are 'far away o'er the sea'.   Shame though, as it would be a great away day (or weekend) for fans.

Think the reason Skye don’t have a ‘senior’ team is that there is a very healthy, old rivalry between all the amateur clubs. Don’t know if you could unite the North and South of the island tbh, there’s 4 decent amateur teams on the island and Kyle just off it who enjoy a good ding-dong every summer. A senior team would dilute that somewhat

On 17/05/2019 at 21:46, HibeeJibee said:

I hadn't given any thought to the logistics of it I was just interested by the fact NCL were supportive of the idea of joining-up. Clearly there are logistical issues as they couldn't join-up on their own without bespoke mechanisms. It would be unrealistic for any relegated side from Aberdeenshire/Moray to drop down to NCL and there would be other aspects like playing so few games and how Orkney could play HL (near-impossible currently).

It would be as if SOSL had joined-up under LL but EOSL hadn't... where would Preston have gone.

A  good post, but technically  not totally correct. 

The North of Scotland Association has the following SFA Member clubs, within its traditional boundary) :

Inverness CT, Clachnacuddin, Fort William, Elgin City, Forres Mechanics, Lossiemouth, Rothes, Wick Academy, Nairn County, Ross County, Brora Rangers, Strathspey Thistle, and Golspie Sutherland,  

By comparison, the other 'north' 2 Associations, have

Aberdeenshire Association (SFA Member clubs)

Aberdeen, Cove Rangers, Fraserburgh, Huntly, Peterhead, Buckie Thistle, Deveronvale, Keith,  Inverurie Locos, Formartine United, Turiff United, and Banks O'Dee

Angus & Perthshire Association (SFA Member clubs)

Arbroath, Brechin City, Dundee, Dundee United, Forfar Athletic, Montrose, and St Johnstone.

Several of the above SPFL and HFL clubs have entered their Reserve or Development teams in the North Caley League, and/or in its various cup competitions, during the last 20 years or so. Therefore, In my view, the above traditional boundaries are not as poorly drawn, as some posters suggest they are. Hence it makes a case for three pyramid feeder leagues below the HFL, also incorporating the non-SFA Member clubs in each of the North Caledonian League, the North Juniors, and the Angus & Perthshire Juniors. Of course, you can't force these clubs to join.

In a much earlier post this year (from myself), I reported that the NCL would wish to join the pyramid, but only on the understanding that the North Juniors also joined. Your post suggests that they may now be interested in joining the pyramid (as a feeder league) without the North Juniors doing likewise. I hope that this is correct.

I also said that it was unfair that the NCL's Champion club, was not invited to play in the Scottish Cup, whereas the EoSL,  SoSL champions, and the Junior and Amateur Cup Winners, were being invited each season, even if they are not SFA member clubs.  Together of course, with the 3 Junior SuperLeague champions, who have also "not committed to the pyramid".  It is time that this anomaly was removed by the SFA.

24 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Think the reason Skye don’t have a ‘senior’ team is that there is a very healthy, old rivalry between all the amateur clubs. Don’t know if you could unite the North and South of the island tbh, there’s 4 decent amateur teams on the island and Kyle just off it who enjoy a good ding-dong every summer. A senior team would dilute that somewhat

Why would it ?  The NCL competitions are played in the winter, not the summer, and I understand  that players are drawn from various summer league clubs. 

31 minutes ago, Spyro said:

But that's exactly how it is in Orkney and Shetland. Both island groups have a number of amateur clubs playing in local summer competitions. The Orkney and Shetland teams are essentially a select of the best players in the amateur teams.

On 16/05/2019 at 09:25, Robert James said:

2019/20 NCL 

Any new clubs envisaged for the NCL next season  ?  Perhaps it would be a good time for the summer footballers of Fortrose,  Avoch, Rosemarkie, etc to form a combined Black Isle AFC to play winter football, by joining the (now very competitive) North Caley League   

You'll be happy to hear this year's rumour is a return of Bonar Bridge. They last played in the 2010-11 season.

Lewis and Harris teams have no interest in a mainland league,no interest in playing winter football and probably most importantly no interest in competing regularly as a single team - although this has happened on occasion.

The Highland Amateur suits them fine as its the right time of year and just a few games.

16 hours ago, Robert James said:

I also said that it was unfair that the NCL's Champion club, was not invited to play in the Scottish Cup, whereas the EoSL,  SoSL champions, and the Junior and Amateur Cup Winners, were being invited each season, even if they are not SFA member clubs.  Together of course, with the 3 Junior SuperLeague champions, who have also "not committed to the pyramid".  It is time that this anomaly was removed by the SFA.

With the league stabilised a bit and trying to become a pyramid league in some way, this could change. The Scottish Cup format is going to have a change a little and that would provide the opportunity. As Golspie won the NCL this year it's not something that matters, but for 2020-21 fingers crossed it could be a thing

13 hours ago, Robert James said:

No Balintore FC then ?    They had hoped to return last season, but didn't. 

Only saw mention of Bonar Bridge.

16 hours ago, Robert James said:

Why would it ?  The NCL competitions are played in the winter, not the summer, and I understand  that players are drawn from various summer league clubs. 

maybe playing through the winter instead of the summer in the Highlands aint that good an idea and the women have got it right

22 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

You'll be happy to hear this year's rumour is a return of Bonar Bridge. They last played in the 2010-11 season.

Brilliant new! Hopefully they’ll produce another Billy Ferris :thumsup2

Regarding the Skye situation, you are all probably right but the summer amateur league there is very run and the banter/rivalry seems to be a little more deeper than in other places. Although if they were to make a ‘select’ team, the other NCL teams better watch out because it would be very competitive if not, a league winner. The amateurs seems to always do well enough in the highland cup

• 3 weeks later...