North Caledonian League Expansion

Robert James

On 03/07/2018 at 21:05, FairWeatherFan said:

Not losing any clubs is always a bonus. Interesting to see what becomes of the Highland League official being there.

No AGM outcomes made public yet.

The draw for the 2018/19 NCL Football Times Cup includes the following affiliated North Caledonian FA clubs who don't participate in the league itself:

Shetland FC

Lewis & Harris FC

Nairn County Under 20 XI

Balintore's proposed NCL application did not materialise.

On 03/07/2018 at 20:47, Cyclizine said:

Apparently Highland League officials were present at the North Caley AGM yesterday to discuss the pyramid. No new teams joining this year.

Hope they had a rational and constructive chat about possibilities. I'd love a once a year away trip to Orkney for Clach, and integrating the NCL and West Highland Juniors could counter the gravity towards the Shire. Even more necessary with Tayside possibly joining the mix. We need some SRU style support from the SFA/SPFL to make it happen though.

Edited by welshbairn

On 05/07/2018 at 00:18, welshbairn said:

Hope they had a rational and constructive chat about possibilities. I'd love a once a year away trip to Orkney for Clach, and integrating the NCL and West Highland Juniors could counter the gravity towards the Shire. Even more necessary with Tayside possibly joining the mix. We need some SRU style support from the SFA/SPFL to make it happen though.

They're going to ditch the existing clubs in favour of a bunch of franchises, whilst simultaneously breaking their own rules relating to the allocation of those franchises?

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

They're going to ditch the existing clubs in favour of a bunch of franchises, whilst simultaneously breaking their own rules relating to the allocation of those franchises?

I was meaning the travel subsidies they give to Island and remotely situated teams from all levels.

On 03/07/2018 at 21:05, FairWeatherFan said:

Not losing any clubs is always a bonus. Interesting to see what becomes of the Highland League official being there.

They probably went for a wee dram afterwards, and got stocious...

• 7 months later...
On 06/07/2018 at 16:14, welshbairn said:

I was meaning the travel subsidies they give to Island and remotely situated teams from all levels.

Aye subsidies for Scottish island teams would be good, to to enable them participate in league and cup competitions. Orkney FC (current champions) have been successful since they joined the NCL.  Lewis & Harris FC and Shetland FC participate in some NCL cup competitions.

Also, Jersey Bulls FC have applied to join the English pyramid for 2019/20, having been told they will receive financial support for travelling. This follows Guernsey (Lions) FC who have played in the pyramid for the last 5 seasons or so. 

I wonder what would happen if'an Isle of Man  football club applied to join either the English or Scottish pyramid ?

50 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Aye subsidies for Scottish island teams would be good, to to enable them participate in league and cup competitions. Orkney FC (current champions) have been successful since they joined the NCL.  Lewis & Harris FC and Shetland FC participate in some NCL cup competitions.

Also, Jersey Bulls FC have applied to join the English pyramid for 2019/20, having been told they will receive financial support for travelling. This follows Guernsey (Lions) FC who have played in the pyramid for the last 5 seasons or so. 

I wonder what would happen if'an Isle of Man  football club applied to join either the English or Scottish pyramid ?

This is Guernsey’s 8th season. Started at tier 10 in 2011/12, tier 9 the next season and have been tier 8 since 2013/14 when they make the play-offs. Not much success since then and haven’t participated in any mainland cups for a few seasons.

9 hours ago, Eednud said:

This is Guernsey’s 8th season. Started at tier 10 in 2011/12, tier 9 the next season and have been tier 8 since 2013/14 when they make the play-offs. Not much success since then and haven’t participated in any mainland cups for a few seasons.

Far from being subsidised, they had to subsidise visiting teams IIRC. They also had to play all cup games on the mainland to begin with. I believe that once they the Isthmian league level that no longer applied. A good community club. They have stuck to their ethos of only picking players from Guernsey.

8 hours ago, Super Saddler said:

Far from being subsidised, they had to subsidise visiting teams IIRC. They also had to play all cup games on the mainland to begin with. I believe that once they the Isthmian league level that no longer applied. A good community club. They have stuck to their ethos of only picking players from Guernsey.

There is a simple reason why they are not subsidised, as they are not in England, so they want to play in a "foreign" set-up. That's obviously different for teams from Scottish islands. I'd greatly support travel subsidies for them. It would be great to have a Stornoway based team in the Scottish Cup. Would be some away day. :) 

23 hours ago, Robert James said:

Or Ireland or Wales. They're a county association of the English FA, but constitutionally there's no reason why they're more English than Scottish.

It's an interesting question. The population of the Isle of Man is bigger than that of every town and city in Scotland except Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee. Even just the main town, Douglas, has a population not much less than Dumfries or Motherwell (not including Wishaw). They could possibly sustain a full time club in the SPFL.

On 22/05/2018 at 14:27, welshbairn said:

Gone into abeyance for a year, the maximum allowed. If they can't raise the money quickly enough to sort out Kirkhill by next year I think they'll fold permanently. They would still need a ground to play in the NCL.

Any news update  about Inverness City returning to the Juniors next season,   and/or any info about their proposed ground developments at Kirkhill  ?  Or has the club effectively folded ?

Whilst on the subject of Inverness football, it is excellent news that Inverness Athletic (NCL) have now secured a ground in the city. 

Also the famous name of Inverness Citadel was resurrected in the Inverness & Distric AFL last season.  Does anyone know anything about this new club ?

Edited by Robert James
typo

13 hours ago, Marten said:

There is a simple reason why they are not subsidised, as they are not in England, so they want to play in a "foreign" set-up. That's obviously different for teams from Scottish islands. I'd greatly support travel subsidies for them. It would be great to have a Stornoway based team in the Scottish Cup. Would be some away day. :) 

It was suggested that Skye might follow the lead of Harris & Lewis, and Shetland, by entering a team in one or more of the the North Caledonian Cup competitions, but nothing materialised as far as I am aware. 

7 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Any news about Inverness City returning to the Juniors next season,   and/or any info about their proposed ground developments at Kirkhill  ?  Or has the club effectively folded ?

Whilst on the subject of Inverness football, it is excellent news that Inverness Athletic (NCL) have now secured a ground in the city. 

Also the famous name of Inverness Citadel was resurrected in the Inverness & Distric AFL last season.  Does anyone know anything about this new club ?

As you say good news about Inverness Athletic, don't know anything about Citadel except that from their facebook page they seem to change their name quite frequently according to who's sponsoring them. Resurrected the Citadel name in 2010. https://www.facebook.com/fortgeo/

All I know about City is that Kirkhill have given up hope of raising enough cash  to sort their pitch out, so unless there's something happening elsewhere it looks like the end.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

As you say good news about Inverness Athletic, don't know anything about Citadel except that from their facebook page they seem to change their name quite frequently according to who's sponsoring them. Resurrected the Citadel name in 2010. https://www.facebook.com/fortgeo/

All I know about City is that Kirkhill have given up hope of raising enough cash  to sort their pitch out, so unless there's something happening elsewhere it looks like the end.

Yes I saw that Citadel were formed in 2010,  but I'm not aware of any earlier names.

Looking ahead, it would be good for the NCL if it could attract a 10th league club. Balintore's return this season,  didn't materialise, apparently because of a shortage of quality players.  Maybe they will have overcome this in time for next season.  Dingwall Academy(Highland Youth League) would be a possible member if they formed an adult XI, or teamed up with former members Dingwall Thistle ?  Dornoch football seems to have died, and the Black Rock Isle clubs aren't interested in winter football. Muir of Ord revival: unlikely.

Fort William looked like rejoining the NCL for this season, but their determination to remain in the HFL seems to be  undaunted despite some huge defeats. They need to be admired for their dedication.    

7 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Yes I saw that Citadel were formed in 2010,  but I'm not aware of any earlier names.

Looking ahead, it would be good for the NCL if it could attract a 10th league club. Balintore's return this season,  didn't materialise, apparently because of a shortage of quality players.  Maybe they will have overcome this in time for next season.  Dingwall Academy(Highland Youth League) would be a possible member if they formed an adult XI, or teamed up with former members Dingwall Thistle ?  Dornoch football seems to have died, and the Black Rock Isle clubs aren't interested in winter football. Muir of Ord revival: unlikely.

Fort William looked like rejoining the NCL for this season, but their determination to remain in the HFL seems to be  undaunted despite some huge defeats. They need to be admired for their dedication.    

Citadel called themselves AFC Sobar in 2017 and Pockets FC in 2016. Think they just use Citadel when they don't have a sponsor.

19 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

For a while Citadel were kidding on that they really were a resurrection of the original club that went bust in the 30s.

Did hear a while back that Inverness Thistle AFC were half way through applying for the NCL before they folded.

Apparently Inverness Central FC has folded as well (?) so the capital isn't thriving at present. The Rosshire Welfare League also seems to be contracting.

Are you aware of any potential new NCL clubs for next season ?

Edited by Robert James
post sent in error before completed

North Caledonian League    current standings

Invergordon**    16    34          Golspie Sutherland**        14    33        Alness Utd*      14    23        Inverness Athletic    13    22        Orkney**    11    21       

St Duthus     16    21        Thurso**    15    14        Halkirk Utd**    15    11        Bunillidh Thistle*    14    3

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Whilst it does not appear that there are any new clubs seeking to join the NCL (unless Fort William resign from the HFL and rejoin the NCL) for 2019/20, this does not detract from the competitiveness of this senior league. Five of the above 9 clubs have been crowned champions** during the last 6 seasons, and two other clubs* have been champions since 1982. The remaining two clubs, Inverness Athletic and St Duthus,  only joined the NCL 3 seasons ago, and are both understood to be ambitious.   

Tonight's league table suggests that Golspie Sutherland will be champions this season. However they still have to play (current champions) Orkney, away from home, and could be overtaken (on goal difference) if they win all their remaining games. 

Edited by Robert James
typo

1 hour ago, Robert James said:

However they still have to play (current champions) Orkney, away from home, and could be overtaken (on goal difference) if they win all their remaining games

Unlikely scenario, but if Golspie and Invergordon finish on the same points (even if they have different goal difference) then there is a playoff.

Just now, Cyclizine said:

Unlikely scenario, but if Golspie and Invergordon finish on the same points (even if they have different goal difference) then there is a playoff.

Don't right off Orkney. Again unlikely, but Orkney still have to play Bunillidh twice, plus Golspie who they play (on 16th March), and would also have to defeat. If they win all 5 remaining games they would finish on 36 points. If Golspie lose to Orkney, but win their other game, they would also have 36 points. So a play-off would be required.  Interesting.