Alex Salmond show on Russia Today

Colkitto

As much as I'm a fan of Salmond's innate ability to wind up the sort of lunatics he winds up, and as much as I'd facetiously say I welcome the Siberian pound and its efforts to make Scotland an independent country - if they can get Donald Trump elected surely they can do anything - I have no respect at all for anyone who'll willingly use Russia Today as a platform for... well, anything.

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

19 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

He is not just any ex MP and member of the party.

An ex-leader still has a responsibility to toe the line for the greater good of the party.

When the don't they become sad bitter twisted old fuckers aka Jim Sillars.

I don't think you can compare Salmond with Sillars.

Eck will do what he does best, troll unionists and highlight Westminster hypocrisy. He's now got a bigger platform and a wider audience to do so.

The platform is controversial sure, but why is column in the Sun or Daily Mail considered not so ?

Sillars at least says that he will vote SNP regardless of how he feels about the party. Not something that can be said of Tony Blair for example who was effectively telling people to consider a  vote for the Lib Dems.

I should amend my post to include him.

The saddest bitterest old fucker of them all.

Sillars at least says that he will vote SNP regardless of how he feels about the party. Not something that can be said of Tony Blair for example who was effectively telling people to consider a  vote for the Lib Dems.

Sillars speech c. 3-4 days before the independence referendum was one of the cringiest things I've ever seen.

People are going to have to accept that RT is a legitimate broadcaster and not some kind of loony fringe propaganda outlet. Or certainly no more a propaganda outlet than any other major news network. It's whole purpose upon inception was to counter the unchallenged Western viewpoint that hoodwinked civilised and educated populations into supporting disastrous wars in Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya. It's no coincidence that in the years since RT has established a large global audience, other major conflicts in Ukraine and Syria have been much more open to question with plenty of alternative reporting and evidence from the 'other side'.

Anyone who dismisses the likes of RT out of hand is showing an extremely closed mind and an unwillingness to even consider any other point of view. This will never lead to the consumption of balanced news and opinion. If RT, or CNN, or the New York Times, or anyone else reports on something which is backed up by dubious or no evidence, then luckily we have a world of information at our fingertips to decide for ourselves how legit it is.

Fair play to Salmond, he has got himself a show on a major platform broadcast to a large audience.. Not sure how people can think he has 'sunk to this level' of the highest global YouTube views of any news outlet, and higher viewership figures than France 24, Deutsche Welle, and English language BBC World News.

Just now, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Just not in a balanced way . . . .

No, that's my whole point. I'm not the one completely dismissing different points of view.

Anything in particular from my first post you disagree with? I don't believe I said anything untrue or unreasonable.

Think Zetterlund has slanted generally on the favour of being pro-Russian on here but what he said isn't really wrong. RT is blatant in its propagandist championeering for the Russian state and is usually supportive of anyone and everyone that is in opposition to the West but there's plenty of Western propagandists that masquerade under the veil of neutral reporting that don't face anywhere near the same scrutiny that RT broadcasters and presenters face.

2 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Think Zetterlund has slanted generally on the favour of being pro-Russian on here but what he said isn't really wrong. RT is blatant in its propagandist championeering for the Russian state and is usually supportive of anyone and everyone that is in opposition to the West but there's plenty of Western propagandists that masquerade under the veil of neutral reporting that don't face anywhere near the same scrutiny that RT broadcasters and presenters face.

I certainly wouldn't describe myself as pro-Russian as I'm at the opposite end of the socio-political spectrum on almost every issue, but I am very much anti-war, which is why I seem to find myself on 'their' side of some of the recent major geopolitical issues.

Really? RT is a distinct and overt wing of Kremlin propaganda. It’s not an “alternative” or even “left-leaning” Media outlet. It’s not really even simply a media outlet. It’s a Kremlin propaganda operation. Like Press TV, it should only be viewed for novelty value. Like Infowars, it shouldn’t be viewed as an alternative news source. Most respected academics tend to shun appearances on RT.

Russian State policy may often different from dominant voices here, but people can find that out elsewhere.

Anyone capable of abstract thought is capable of finding discerning news coverage without resorting to RT or Infowars. Most folk are aware of the flaws and strengths of the BBC or the “liberal” media.

Of course, many people don’t want that. So they only watch Fox News, or only read The National.

5 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Really? RT is a distinct and overt wing of Kremlin propaganda. It’s not an “alternative” or even “left-leaning” Media outlet. It’s not really even simply a media outlet. It’s a Kremlin propaganda operation. Like Press TV, it should only be viewed for novelty value. Like Infowars, it shouldn’t be viewed as an alternative news source. Most respected academics tend to shun appearances on RT.

Russian State policy may often different from dominant voices here, but people can find that out elsewhere.

Anyone capable of abstract thought is capable of finding discerning news coverage without resorting to RT or Infowars. Most folk are aware of the flaws and strengths of the BBC or the “liberal” media.

Of course, many people don’t want that. So they only watch Fox News, or only read The National.

I'm perfectly capable of filtering propaganda on RT, Press TV, the BBC, Euronews, VOA or Fox. One of the greatest benefits of the internet and satellite tv imo. Bring back Press TV!

The response to this isn't driven by sincere dedication to the pursuit of objective truth, it's a reaction from traditional media and power blocs over the loss of their monopoly on soft power and setting the agenda. I don't watch RT and I am critical of their commitment to only giving representation to dissident voices of the west without the same criticism of Russia but I don't really think it's that big of a deal if Salmond hosts a show on the network.

As an aside if I am watching the news in work I'll put on Sky News as a lot of decent new media commentators are invited on but to pretend the channels themselves present a serious challenge to western hegemony for example is laughable.

I'm perfectly capable of filtering propaganda on RT, Press TV, the BBC, Euronews, VOA or Fox. One of the greatest benefits of the internet and satellite tv imo. Bring back Press TV!

I would have thought RT will lose its broadcast license soon enough. But yeah, I agree. I guess the argument follows that your average Press TV viewer wasn’t born with that ability.

49 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

The response to this isn't driven by sincere dedication to the pursuit of objective truth, it's a reaction from traditional media and power blocs over the loss of their monopoly on soft power and setting the agenda. I don't watch RT and I am critical of their commitment to only giving representation to dissident voices of the west without the same criticism of Russia but I don't really think it's that big of a deal if Salmond hosts a show on the network.

As an aside if I am watching the news in work I'll put on Sky News as a lot of decent new media commentators are invited on but to pretend the channels themselves present a serious challenge to western hegemony for example is laughable.

This is it in a nutshell. If RT did end up losing its broadcast license as Henry suggests, and we're halfway there with the ban on advertising and the demand to register as a foreign agent, it will be the exact mirror image of the days of the Soviet iron curtain when the people were 'protected' against 'western propaganda'. 

Unionists long ago lost the battle for the online community and now they are starting to see their stranglehold on the msm being loosened, even if just a fraction, and it seems to have terrified them to their core. 

I can't really blame them for lashing out, I would probably feel the same in their shoes.