Clyde v Stirling Albion

Although I couldn’t make the game, I’ll gladly take the point. Broadwood hasn’t been a happy hunting ground for us over the years and that was very much a depleted team that played.

Delighted to read the (latest) youth players to make the step up performed well and that Binnie also had a cracker. 9 out of the match day 16 have come through the youth ranks, just shows you the importance that these Youth Academies can have on clubs at our level.

Hopefully the week off with give a few players time to get back and ready to face Peterhead.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once the excitement of a late equaliser dies away, there's no doubt that we dropped two points today. 

Stirling had a makeshift eleven admittedly; only one of the back four would play there in their best team. And it showed, with a clear chance in the opening minute that saw Osolador clattered by the 'keeper and Ramsay unlucky to see the rebound cleared off the line. Referee probably should have came back to give the penalty. First half chances weren't regular despite us having the better of the game but Goodwillie also elected to sweep onto his right-foot for a shot that was saved, when a left-footed effort might have been the better choice.

Second half we had better chances, Cuddihy seeing his shot wonderfully stopped down low by a goalkeeper who moments later proceeded to drop two crosses in the one attack, summing up his overall performance; some great shot-stopping, but awful at crosses and kicking. Nicoll then missed an unmissable chance, hitting the post, Goodwillie had a  powerful low shot well saved, whilst Smart seemed to be in the box with the ball every couple of minutes, only he was unable to get a shot away. Some amount of crosses fizzing across the six yard box.

Then the sucker punch, from Stirling's only real effort on goal. One of the flaws with the 352 (and the way we play it) exposed as Cuddihy got caught high up the pitch, Nicoll didn't get out to cover quickly enough, and Duffie was left doubled up on. It happens but it was another clean sheet thrown away when we'd defended well up to that point. Lots of credit to McNeil who could easily have played long or sideways but chose to burst forward into space.

I thought we'd ran out of ideas to some extent but then a stupid decision by McNeil gifted us a penalty, pulling back Duffie as he challenged for a header that he probably wasn't going to win anyway. Stirling fans can moan all they like, it was a certain spot-kick. My only concern was that he'd ignored two similar shouts for pulls on Nicoll earlier in the game. 

Stirling had half a shout for a spot-kick themselves shortly after when Lamont lost the ball in his own box and had a nibble at the Stirling player's heel when trying to recover. I'm not convinced there was much in it to be honest; I think it looked like he was going to foul him and then didn't. Wouldn't have complained much if it had been given that said. 

Currie wasn't involved at all so can't really feature in the post-match critique. Home was solid as usual, McNIff and Munro both had dumb mistakes as usual but in general the trio are a huge improvement on the Nicoll/Breslin back-line we were subjected to earlier this season. Wing-backs didn't have poor games at all and were an improvement on Stewart/Wright from last week. Nicoll played as well as he probably can in the second half after a first half where he seemed to give the ball away every time he had it. Great running from Cuddihy/Ramsay. Osolador was rubbish. Goodwillie was a cut above as usual and deserved his goal.

Stirling will be happy with a point given the team they had out and the chances we missed. Morrison obviously a class act but I thought we defended him well in the main, keeping him on the outside. 

Overall, good to have a decent crowd at Broadwood and a good atmosphere once again proving that the stadium isn't the problem. Decent game over the piece, but unfortunately a draw casts us even further adrift from the interesting end of the league. Realistically we'd need to put in title winning form to get near the playoffs. 

Much better today, looks a completely different team to recent weeks, and credit must be given to McNally for that.

A shout for permanent job ? Up to the board I  suppose, also  depends on who the other candidates are, and his lack of experience will no doubt tell against him.

Overall feeling a lot better about the team, actually feel now we have a right good chance v EF mext week, but we'll see.

For the Stirling fans moaning/booing at the end,  yeh maybe a shout fir a pen, but on reflection should be pleased with a point, as over the 90 that was the least we desseved !

Im glad Clyde are celebrating this point. They deserved it......maybe even more, but sadly its indicative of how bad they have become that a point against a much depleted Albion side is seen as some form of moral victory. 

Not being sarcastic, genuinely mean that but I guess after Ferguson and Chapman, id feel the same. 

Thought it was a good game actually. Clyde certainly had the better chances and forced the saves where as any chances we had, we were wasteful.

Thought the young lads who stepped up from the youths did themselves no harm at all

More than decent support through from Stirling as well.

We will play much better and lose im sure, as for Clyde....im not so sure. Guess we will see.

Ill take the point thanks and retain first place and look forward to Smith, Caddis, Robertson and McDonald returning soon. 

It's amazing how much the gloom has lifted since Chapman was jettisoned if we get the manager appointment right think we will soon climb up the table TM has staked a claim seems to have instilled a wee bit of belief and certainly has them playing a better style with 2 up front let's hope the board choose wisely by the law of averages they must get it right sometime overall feeling much more optimistic than a couple of weeks ago

1 hour ago, David W said:

One other wee point; I was sure the referee was Greg Aitken today, even though it was down as Graham Beaton. Can anyone confirm?

Our official website confirms it was Greg Aitken. No explanation why the change was made.

15 hours ago, JakeSAFC said:

Aye nae bother...

Very even game. Clyde shouldn't have had a penalty and the ref was a total p***k. Thats football I suppose.

Its great to see how the methadone clinics are thriving in stirling, a 3-4 goal margin of victory would not have flattered us today, kudos on your 1 shot all game and constant time wasting after that, really befitting of a team supppsedly top of the league.

13 minutes ago, CLYDE ULTRA said:

Its great to see how the methadone clinics are thriving in stirling, a 3-4 goal margin of victory would not have flattered us today, kudos on your 1 shot all game and constant time wasting after that, really befitting of a team supppsedly top of the league.

Supposedly? I think you'll find we are top of the league.

Jeezo you had more shots on target, doesn't mean it wasn't a very even game.

Just a reminder that the Albion are top of the league as well, thank you [emoji4]

The last 15minutes were even. The goal seemed to liven up Stirling. Up until that point it was very much us in the ascendency but through a mixture of wastefulness and great keeping the match was even in the score line at least.

We are a good appointment away from getting ourselves back in the mix.

Speaking as someone who was very critical of him earlier in the season, credit to Home, who since coming on in the second half against Montrose has been one of our best and most reliable players.

Why we persisted with Breslin at centre half, I'll never understand.

Thought lowden and duffle looked like modern full backs their delivery into the box was excellent and DGW was utter class even David W's golden boys Ramsay and cuddhiy played well [emoji6] kevin Nicol was outstanding best game he has had since start of the season, all round it Judy looked a team full of confidence and desire munro has the potential to turn into a right proper Clyde centre half
Don't know if it's all down to mcnally or the players relief at getting rid of Chapman and co but mcnally has to get a lot of credit for the second half at stenny and yesterday

Archived