West Cup

AmateurCoach

On 18/11/2017 at 19:43, loco de futbol said:

Had me doubting myself.. EK from safl did beat Bannockburn from central Scottish, result of the round so far unless Bannockburn are poor..? ^_^

Bannockburn a very very good side.. you don't sit second in the Central Scottish Premier if you are poor.  But as we've proven in a few games this season - we are capable of being very very good too. Retaining 10/11 guys from last season with 8 under 19's coming up to us means a LOT of change. But we've a squad littered with youth and real quality, that maybe lacks in experience and game management. And we've suffered for it in the last few weeks. Our league form isn't as bad as the league tables show - drawing and losing games from winning positions are frustrating. But we've been working hard at training each week making small improvements. 

Crucially though, against Bannockburn we had the chance to get more of our senior players on the pitch from the start with only 3 of the under 19's starting (another 3 on the bench). And it let us play a bit more like we can... and rather than 'have' to play the younger guys, I was able to pick the right ones for the game and introduce the others at the right times during the game. 

As for the game, a strong first half from us seen us 2-0 up at half time, and I would say deservedly so - even if the first goal will go down as a defensive mistake by bannockburn (goalie came out to claim and defender nodded over him for our striker to roll the ball into an empty net). Second half seen BBurn turn the pressure up but we we're coping well, we'd made some positional tweaks to shore up our defence. Then about 65 minutes we had a man sent off for a second yellow card (both yellows deserved, so no complaints). And of course this forced 1 or 2 changes and meant we conceded more space up front allowing bannockburn to play higher. Not long after this BBurn got a penalty which from where I was standing was a tackle made outside the box - no complaints with it being a foul though. (A couple of their players said to me that it wasn't a penalty either so I am inclined to believe the ref did get it wrong). However, the penalty was hit against the bar. Due to the sending off, we were under more pressure but we dealt well with it until the 90th/91st minute when they got their consolation - and for all BBurns good play it was probably one of the more scrappier moves that seen them score with a lofted ball allowed to drop in the 6 yard box! A minute later the game was over. 

BBurn players and management were gracious in defeat, shook everyones hands and wish us well which was nice to see. On the balance of play I would not have grudged BBurn a draw as our keeper did make some great saves in the second half, particularly when we went down to 10 men. Our first goal was a stroke of luck given BBurns mistakes, but that has been happening to us a lot recently, so it was nice to see us have something go our way for once....

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Gunner said:

Bannockburn a very very good side.. you don't sit second in the Central Scottish Premier if you are poor.  But as we've proven in a few games this season - we are capable of being very very good too. Retaining 10/11 guys from last season with 8 under 19's coming up to us means a LOT of change. But we've a squad littered with youth and real quality, that maybe lacks in experience and game management. And we've suffered for it in the last few weeks. Our league form isn't as bad as the league tables show - drawing and losing games from winning positions are frustrating. But we've been working hard at training each week making small improvements. 

Crucially though, against Bannockburn we had the chance to get more of our senior players on the pitch from the start with only 3 of the under 19's starting (another 3 on the bench). And it let us play a bit more like we can... and rather than 'have' to play the younger guys, I was able to pick the right ones for the game and introduce the others at the right times during the game. 

As for the game, a strong first half from us seen us 2-0 up at half time, and I would say deservedly so - even if the first goal will go down as a defensive mistake by bannockburn (goalie came out to claim and defender nodded over him for our striker to roll the ball into an empty net). Second half seen BBurn turn the pressure up but we we're coping well, we'd made some positional tweaks to shore up our defence. Then about 65 minutes we had a man sent off for a second yellow card (both yellows deserved, so no complaints). And of course this forced 1 or 2 changes and meant we conceded more space up front allowing bannockburn to play higher. Not long after this BBurn got a penalty which from where I was standing was a tackle made outside the box - no complaints with it being a foul though. (A couple of their players said to me that it wasn't a penalty either so I am inclined to believe the ref did get it wrong). However, the penalty was hit against the bar. Due to the sending off, we were under more pressure but we dealt well with it until the 90th/91st minute when they got their consolation - and for all BBurns good play it was probably one of the more scrappier moves that seen them score with a lofted ball allowed to drop in the 6 yard box! A minute later the game was over. 

BBurn players and management were gracious in defeat, shook everyones hands and wish us well which was nice to see. On the balance of play I would not have grudged BBurn a draw as our keeper did make some great saves in the second half, particularly when we went down to 10 men. Our first goal was a stroke of luck given BBurns mistakes, but that has been happening to us a lot recently, so it was nice to see us have something go our way for once....

Defo result of the round in my opinion. I have saw you play and you are definitely a decent side, just results not been going for you even when the better side. All the best for the season ahead.. 

12 minutes ago, eyeswideopen15 said:

Don't mean to sound like a p***k here but I wouldn't be too chuffed if I was one of they younger boys u felt u " had to start " as opposed to want to start.

That being said, some result, well done

They might not be too chuffed. But it is what it is. And lets be clear, I do want to start them all - and they are all very capable. But I have been forced to start too many at the same time when it would have helped them more had they came on in the right games at the right times. They all have the ability but sometimes lack the experience, and had I had more experienced players available I would have picked better times to integrate them into the team to let them go on and show what they can do. Than maybe start with too many of the younger guys at the same time. 

I'm not saying anything here that I've not spoken to them about. And. whilst they all want to play, their attitude when not starting  - is brilliant. I've been lucky enough to have coached a few youth teams from u15's-u19's and this group I have at EKFC from the under 19's have better attitudes to training and games than any I've worked with before. 

Anyway, I'm sure nobody cares how you would have felt about it, nor my opinions on when to play or not play young guys finding their way into the Amateur game. It's a west thread, I was giving my account of the game and some insight into how we were able to achieve the result. 

1 hour ago, Gunner said:

They might not be too chuffed. But it is what it is. And lets be clear, I do want to start them all - and they are all very capable. But I have been forced to start too many at the same time when it would have helped them more had they came on in the right games at the right times. They all have the ability but sometimes lack the experience, and had I had more experienced players available I would have picked better times to integrate them into the team to let them go on and show what they can do. Than maybe start with too many of the younger guys at the same time. 

I'm not saying anything here that I've not spoken to them about. And. whilst they all want to play, their attitude when not starting  - is brilliant. I've been lucky enough to have coached a few youth teams from u15's-u19's and this group I have at EKFC from the under 19's have better attitudes to training and games than any I've worked with before. 

Anyway, I'm sure nobody cares how you would have felt about it, nor my opinions on when to play or not play young guys finding their way into the Amateur game. It's a west thread, I was giving my account of the game and some insight into how we were able to achieve the result. 

Terrific result for you, we played Bannockburn in the Scottish a few weeks ago and took a bit of a battering. One of the best teams we've come up against in recent years.

Aye fair enough mate. U do make perfect sense and even after just that little insight can appreciate the kind of manager u are to these guys, fair play

A great result for EK without a doubt. But with all due respect, I think UB Utd beating Giffnock NE , 8-2  has got to be the standout result in round 4

I agree. Saturday morning side winning convincingly against one of the stronger Caley teams is some result.
Should be some interesting ties coming up in the next round.

24 minutes ago, Area 51 said:

A great result for EK without a doubt. But with all due respect, I think UB Utd beating Giffnock NE , 8-2  has got to be the standout result in round 4

Yeah, I also agree tbh. UB have reached last 32 this and last season too - so doing well consistently in the majors. 

2 hours ago, Gunner said:

Yeah, I also agree tbh. UB have reached last 32 this and last season too - so doing well consistently in the majors. 

Some result. I had a look at their league after beating giffnock. I see they play tynecastle on sat who are a decent side..another big test...what does UB stand for?

EK played 7, no wins and 3 points.. Bannockburn is a big scalp.. 

. . . and have a manager who uses their first good result of the season - an excellent result - to take the opportunity to put the blame for the horrific league start firmly on having to play inexperienced u19s players.

Ironically players he himself signed.

Good managers find ways to win games with what they've got available, they don't jump on pie & Bovril hiding behind excuses.

If anyone else is interested, to block someone and never see their sheidt again - on your user name (top left), click it. Then click 'ignored users'. Then in the space to type, type "S.Irvine" and then select all the wee check boxes. 

Boom. No more pest. 

If anyone else is interested, to block someone and never see their sheidt again - on your user name (top left), click it. Then click 'ignored users'. Then in the space to type, type "S.Irvine" and then select all the wee check boxes. 

Boom. No more pest. 

Lol. Really doesn't like critism. Seems to think he's immune. Always makes personal insults or sends threating private mails.

A very egotistic man.

Gunner time to reign it in pal . Well done Saturday with the win but av got to agree way the other posters sum of ur comments looked like chucking a few young guys under the bus [emoji590]

Aye it would defo have been tough missing senior players etc but the young guys confidence might get shot to pieces after readin the comments from yourself. Just ma opinion pal. Also offering square go’s to trollers like s. Irvine brightens up ma day lol

Just ignore trollers like him you obv know him and know he’s a no mark ????

1 hour ago, dr lector said:

Gunner time to reign it in pal . Well done Saturday with the win but av got to agree way the other posters sum of ur comments looked like chucking a few young guys under the bus

Aye it would defo have been tough missing senior players etc but the young guys confidence might get shot to pieces after readin the comments from yourself. Just ma opinion pal. Also offering square go’s to trollers like s. Irvine brightens up ma day lol

Just ignore trollers like him you obv know him and know he’s a no mark.

Never offered anyone a square go in my life. Rather than the right honourable, model citizen and highly respected Mr Irvine attacking the team at every opportunity on various social media platforms, he's welcome to come and see the boys at training and how we do things. I'd rather chat to someone than disagree on a forum when you are in danger of the wrong things being inferred - as you have done in thinking I would offer the right honourable, model citizen and highly respected Mr Irvine a square go.

Incidentally, I wouldn't be daft enough to put myself in a position with someone who's already threatened me with the polis - for a forum reply

And on your original point - no other posters have felt I chucked a few guys under the bus, eyeswideopen15 (after explanation) has seen where I was coming from, whilst List_of_Jericho above took it in the manner it was meant. 

Back on topic though, and to the posts before the nonsense... UB for me is defo result of the round and I am sure will be a side that are no longer flying under the radar. I expect they were maybe underestimated by Giffnock North. I'm sure the result will have anyone who draws them on their toes in the next round. 

I also think Uddingston who are a brand new saturday morning team beating Glasgow Harp was a big result. As well as Westercommon Star beating Steadfast. 

Westercommon, Uddy and UB all teams in the SSMAFL... doing the league proud.

Archived