Stranraer Reserves and Annan Reserves

3 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

They can't be promoted.

They can play whoever they like, AFAIA, as everyone is on senior registration.

In practice they're basically U20s - perhaps anyone suspended/not in first-team squad.

Thanks HibeeJibee, always helpful!

So, in theory, say if Stranraer reserves are going for the title on the last game of the season they could play their first team?

You mean and play their U20s in SPFL1? I don't think the rulebook prevents it but I'd imagine both leagues having something to say about it.

I don't follow SOSL as closely but in EOSL a couple of weeks ago Stirling Uni's first-team didn't have a game.

I looked-up their EOSL team's game to see if they used any first-team players - not 1 of the previous weekend's first-team 18-man squad featured in that 18-man squad.

Why would stranraer fc play their spfl1 team in the south. We use our under 20s side in the spfl development league to field a few first teamers coming back from injury or not getting games and that tends to be only about 3-5 or whatever the rules state. Most senior teams have bounce matches in glasgow to get game time. Our under 20s side is an ayrshire, south glasgow and paisley side which makes sense in my opinion. While our south team is made up of wigtownshire boys coming up from the youth setup plus a few experienced older heids.

How could a squad of under 20s from stranraer travel all over west central scotland every week to get gubbed then goto work or school the following day. The odd one if good enough i imagine will come through to senior level if good enough.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/7/2017 at 20:17, Blue1870 said:

Why would stranraer fc play their spfl1 team in the south. We use our under 20s side in the spfl development league to field a few first teamers coming back from injury or not getting games and that tends to be only about 3-5 or whatever the rules state. Most senior teams have bounce matches in glasgow to get game time. Our under 20s side is an ayrshire, south glasgow and paisley side which makes sense in my opinion. While our south team is made up of wigtownshire boys coming up from the youth setup plus a few experienced older heids.

How could a squad of under 20s from stranraer travel all over west central scotland every week to get gubbed then goto work or school the following day. The odd one if good enough i imagine will come through to senior level if good enough.

Its 5 over age players you can play in the DL west. Makes sense having the 2 different "reserve" squads for a side like Stranraer with one playing in the Glasgow area for the midweek games.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived