Pyramid Structure Below Highland League

honestman54

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I think it's less than 6 years that City developed Lister Park, more like 3 or 4? Anyway, I don't see how the Council will save any money by kicking them off to Kirkhill.

Deal was done in 2012 and they moved in during 2013. By the end of this season it will be almost 6 years since they were given a 5 year lease in order to sort something permanent out. They've had lots of help.

7 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Deal was done in 2012 and they moved in during 2013. By the end of this season it will be almost 6 years since they were given a 5 year lease in order to sort something permanent out. They've had lots of help.

The only help they've had was the council allowing them to develop Lister Park at their own cost, and extending the lease for one season.

59 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The only help they've had was the council allowing them to develop Lister Park at their own cost, and extending the lease for one season.

They gave them a 5 year lease at the Bught, and then extended it. That was 6 years for the club to find a solution. The council were also trying to sort out a deal for a long term solution at Clach.

Inverness City stepped up to junior status without having their own ground and a decade later they still don't have one sorted. Local authorities can be a handy scapegoat, but in this case it's hard to see how the council is to blame.

As much as it pains me, I agree with Waspie, I don't think Highland Council have been unreasonable. Is the issue with the Bught not to do with common good land? I know outwith matches the public has to have access to City's park. City have had ten years to sort a ground in Inverness, but they have not managed. I don't think this is the council's fault (for once).

1 minute ago, Waspie said:

They gave them a 5 year lease at the Bught, and then extended it. That was 6 years for the club to find a solution. The council were also trying to sort out a deal for a long term solution at Clach.

Inverness City stepped up to junior status without having their own ground and a decade later they still don't have one sorted. Local authorities can be a handy scapegoat, but in this case it's hard to see how the council is to blame.

I'm pretty sure Kirkhill is sorted, though God knows where they're going to find the money to develop it and put Bught Park back to how it was. I can't think of any good reason why they couldn't just extend the lease indefinitely. If you want to watch Junior football you'll need to travel to Muir of Ord or Kirkhill instead of just walking round to the park.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/11/2017 at 12:12, Waspie said:

Clach have made it clear - no ground share with City rivals.

Also City knew the score when the got the 5 year lease, as the council made the terms very clear when the temporary approval was granted..  Best wishes for Kirkhill - has anyone got an update on whether this relocation has been formally agreed, and if so,  when the move will take place ?

• 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 17:06, Jimmy Shaker said:

Since the pyramid playoffs first started we've had this every year amongst folk in the SHFL. There's definitely a problem explaining it to older folk, who continue to wonder how the SHFL would work with 19 teams (answer - without much difficulty) or if Cowdenbeath/Edinburgh City would get relegated into it (no) or if we'd promote Banks O'Dee into the SHFL (no). 

It'll only be another twenty years before folk understand it. 

Not that it's any real relevance for the SHFL anyway, seeing as one of the statistically best ever SHFL sides (Brora), the most consistent over the past fifteen years (Cove) and a club well known for showing up the big occasion (Buckie) all blew their chances at getting promoted. If they can't do it, and Cove don't this season, then I doubt anyone ever will. 

Yep.  There's an important point in here about how representative the 'pyramid' is when regionalised into just HL & LL.

I've typically been of the view that the current division of LL/HL is unfair to clubs in a 'lowland' region that represents a large majority of Scotland's population and clubs, yet is dealt with by our quasi-pyramid as being equivalent to the 'highland' region.  I have thought that a west-east split would be more desirable and equitable to bring the 'lowland' area to closer equivalence with the HL, or else some mechanism would be necessary to give sides in the LL a greater opportunity at promotion than sides in the HL.

However, it might be the case that with the LL becoming an ever-stronger division, the LL winners will simply be too strong for HL winners in the play offs in most seasons.  So the relative strength of the leagues (reflecting the disparity in population and number of clubs that each 'region' represents) will in itself act as the mechanism for ensuring that the majority of clubs being promoted to the SPFL will be from the LL, not the HL.

I still believe that west, north and east regions will be the long-term solution for the top level (tier 3) below a slimmed-down SPFL, but the HL/LL divide is adequate in the short term until the SPFL restructures itself.      

On 23/11/2017 at 23:46, Robert James said:

Clach have made it clear - no ground share with City rivals.

Also City knew the score when the got the 5 year lease, as the council made the terms very clear when the temporary approval was granted..  Best wishes for Kirkhill - has anyone got an update on whether this relocation has been formally agreed, and if so,  when the move will take place ?

Clach were happy to go ahead with a ground share until the funding for a 3/4G pitch got pulled. And City aren't rivals. I believe they have agreement for next season but they have a huge amount of money to raise to undo all the work at Bught Park and develop Kirkhill. Meanwhile there's a brand spanking new and underused 4G pitch just round the corner that could easily be shared with the rugby team.

Archived