Pyramid Structure Below Highland League

honestman54

Hi, I was wondering if there is any though around the Highland league to developing a promotion/relegation structure below it.  I just wondered as if Cowdenbeath were to be relegated from League 2, they would almost certainly select to play in the Highland League.  If that happened, how would they cope?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, honestman54 said:

Hi, I was wondering if there is any though around the Highland league to developing a promotion/relegation structure below it.  I just wondered as if Cowdenbeath were to be relegated from League 2, they would almost certainly select to play in the Highland League.  If that happened, how would they cope?

Cowdenbeath are South of the Tay so would drop into the Lowland League.

There was talk of splitting the Highland League to go from 18 to two divisions of ten and including Banks O'Dee and one more new club but that was voted down.  The consensus seems to be that any type of extending the pyramid in the Highland region won't happen as the smaller clubs won't vote for relegation.

As mentioned, Cowdenbeath will go into the Lowland League if they are relegated.  I heard from quite a good source that had Montrose gone down against Brora Rangers a couple of years back that they had plans to apply for the juniors instead of going into the Highland League.

It's absolute nonsense that banks of dee, with a licence, are not allowed to join the Pyramid.

There has to be a HL2. The North Juniors league needs to come in below the HL. The Highland league committee should be working hard to fix this issue, I doubt they are.

Teams don't get to pick the league they play in. Cowdenbeath would go into the Lowland League. 

Montrose were rumoured to be considering going junior (or folding) if they were relegated but who knows how that would have panned out. 

The SHFL voted down a two league set-up in the immediacy but it'll be considered again should the league reach and/or breach 20 teams. We'd then face promoting a junior side into a league they'd romp while at the same time hate playing in because the top tier would be mostly Shire and anyone promoted into the bottom tier would face plenty treks to Fort, Strathspey, Inverness, Nairn, possibly Wick and certainly darkest Moray. 

10 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

There was talk of splitting the Highland League to go from 18 to two divisions of ten and including Banks O'Dee and one more new club but that was voted down.  The consensus seems to be that any type of extending the pyramid in the Highland region won't happen as the smaller clubs won't vote for relegation.

As mentioned, Cowdenbeath will go into the Lowland League if they are relegated.  I heard from quite a good source that had Montrose gone down against Brora Rangers a couple of years back that they had plans to apply for the juniors instead of going into the Highland League.

If Montrose had went into the juniors then there would have been no way back for them into the SPFL as the juniors currently are not in the pyramid system.

The rumour re us joining the juniors is absolute nonsense, as said above there would be no way back into the league structure. We already have one junior team in the town and certainly don't need another.

And we certainly wouldn't have folded either. We are a community club with lots of people reliant on our facilities and  the council backed us financially to help us provide a synthetic pitch for community use.

There is no doubt we would have accepted our parachute payments had we gone down and taken our chances in the Highland League. I do believe though, had that happened we would have found ourselves in a position like East Stirlingshire and struggled to get back into the league.

The best thing about the relegation playoff was that it gave us a massive fleg and everyone is now determined that we never find ourselves in that situation again. Hopefully now we can hang on to our current manager for a while and continue our current upwards trend.

On 06/11/2017 at 22:24, Booker-T said:

Good article. Can only think the OP is on the wind up.

On ‎07‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 13:03, Craig the Hunter said:

Why on earth would Cowdenbeath select the Highland League even if they were given the choice?

Agreed, I don't think it is a matter of choice. I did look into this when the play offs were first introduced and I recall reading that it was carefully specified whether teams relegated from Division 2 would join the Highland or Lowland League. I may be wrong but I seem to remember seeing it specified in terms of geographical coordinates meaning any team from Arbroath northwards would go into the Highland League.

On ‎07‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 08:53, edinabear said:

There has to be a HL2. The North Juniors league needs to come in below the HL. The Highland league committee should be working hard to fix this issue, I doubt they are.

The dilemma is that, Banks o' Dee aside, I don't see (m)any junior teams or others in the north who are interested.

42 minutes ago, Northboy said:

Agreed, I don't think it is a matter of choice. I did look into this when the play offs were first introduced and I recall reading that it was carefully specified whether teams relegated from Division 2 would join the Highland or Lowland League. I may be wrong but I seem to remember seeing it specified in terms of geographical coordinates meaning any team from Arbroath northwards would go into the Highland League.

It's basically the line of the River Tay.

Its frightening how many people don't understand the relegation process at the bottom of the SPFL and where teams would go.

8 minutes ago, drs said:

Its frightening how many people don't understand the relegation process at the bottom of the SPFL and where teams would go.

I'm genuinely still trying to figure out why the OP thought that clubs would have a choice. And if they had a choice, that Cowden would choose Highland. I seems people don't understand Scottish geography either.

Since the pyramid playoffs first started we've had this every year amongst folk in the SHFL. There's definitely a problem explaining it to older folk, who continue to wonder how the SHFL would work with 19 teams (answer - without much difficulty) or if Cowdenbeath/Edinburgh City would get relegated into it (no) or if we'd promote Banks O'Dee into the SHFL (no). 

It'll only be another twenty years before folk understand it. 

Not that it's any real relevance for the SHFL anyway, seeing as one of the statistically best ever SHFL sides (Brora), the most consistent over the past fifteen years (Cove) and a club well known for showing up the big occasion (Buckie) all blew their chances at getting promoted. If they can't do it, and Cove don't this season, then I doubt anyone ever will. 

7 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Good article. Can only think the OP is on the wind up.

There's some good stuff on the chippy, but nothing recent. 

I don't think a league below the Highland is on the cards without mass support from northern juniors and some form of financial inducement for the existing clubs, some of which may fall down the pyramid pretty quickly when exposed to promotion and relegation.

3 hours ago, drs said:

on other threads and on facebook I've read people mention "relegation to the highland league" for central belt teams.

10 minutes ago, Booker-T said:

There's some good stuff on the chippy, but nothing recent. 

I don't think a league below the Highland is on the cards without mass support from northern juniors and some form of financial inducement for the existing clubs, some of which may fall down the pyramid pretty quickly when exposed to promotion and relegation.

The Highland League couldn't function without floodlights, particularly in a bad winter.  So only Banks o'Dee would (so far as I know) would qualify anyway. The HL have been prepared to accept an additional member from SPFL 2 for the last few seasons, why not open a space for Banks o'Dee?  I'd like to see a pyramid below the HL but I don't see how it's practical. There is no way on Earth the likes of Inverness City could afford floodlights, they're barely hanging on to their space on Bught Park as it is, and are planning a move to Kiltarlity that will cost far more than a reasonable budget already.

Archived