Super Ayr vs Lewis Vaughan

Jason Thomson, that's not a good sign.
He stopped playing about this time last season and was rarely seen again until the start of this one despite being near enough ever present.

He got a serious injury at the start of September last season, and didn’t come back until the end of December.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Hursty said:

Superb result. Well done Ayr - slowly but surely the 'doom and gloomists' are beginning to accept there is the makings of a right good team there.

Moff's penalty though - jesus. Is that him, Moore and Shankland all missed in a row?

I don't think anyone has actually said any different, we've had the makings of a right good team since we kicked off in the LC, we're still not the finished article.

I don't think anyone has actually said any different, we've had the makings of a right good team since we kicked off in the LC, we're still not the finished article.

There are plenty who have said otherwise. A lot of folk only a month or so ago would have had Hart and Rose out the door for example - rock solid today.

Should add - i came away today thinking we won but hadn't actually been that great, but on the other hand to have been so comfortable against the league favourites would suggest i'm being harsh haha.

3 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Superb result. Well done Ayr - slowly but surely the 'doom and gloomists' are beginning to accept there is the makings of a right good team there.

Moff's penalty though - jesus. Is that him, Moore and Shankland all missed in a row?

Couldn't help yourself could you? Thought we'd might manage going without a mention of the super fan brigade and just talk about the game. But nope.

Just now, McGuigan1978 said:

He got a serious injury at the start of September last season, and didn’t come back until the end of December.

Forgot it was that early, didn't really come back until this season. What played from December onwards wasn't even close to what we'd seen before

Are Arbroath (forgetting David Hutton for a minute) the only team capable of providing a real challenging game to Ayr this season then? [emoji6]

Some result that. Quite surprised tbh.

Maybe Moffat/Moore and Shankland outscoring Buchanan/Spence (who’ve not been as good as everyone thought)/Vaughan will be the deciding factor in the title race.

Still a long way to go though.

What the f**k formation were Raith playing in the second half? I think it confused us for a while as it went from 442 to 343 and then Smith lost the plot and I couldn't work out who was playing where!

Geggan at right mid was inspired, completely neutralised Vaughan and sucked the life out of them. Robbie showed him how to do it though.

3 minutes ago, Hursty said:

There are plenty who have said otherwise. A lot of folk only a month or so ago would have had Hart and Rose out the door for example - rock solid today.

Should add - i came away today thinking we won but hadn't actually been that great, but on the other hand to have been so comfortable against the league favourites would suggest i'm being harsh haha.

I'll be surprised if we're not favourites now, Shankland certainly won't be 6/1 for top goalscorer in the morning.

Are Arbroath (forgetting David Hutton for a minute) the only team capable of providing a real challenging game to Ayr this season then? [emoji6]

Maybe Moffat/Moore and Shankland outscoring Buchanan/Spence (who’ve not been as good as everyone thought)/Vaughan will be the deciding factor in the title race.

I stand by the fact that Arbroath are the best team we’ve played this season over the two games. Outplayed us at Somerset and were extremely unlucky not to beat us at Gayfield. Might have had a chance if you’d played a proper goalie.

3 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Are Arbroath (forgetting David Hutton for a minute) the only team capable of providing a real challenging game to Ayr this season then? emoji6.png

Whether we get Shankland signed up for the rest of the season will def be a deciding factor

Let's talk about the Super Ayrs! Get Lawrence Shankland signed up. Offer him anything, Free Nandos, Tickets to Ed Sheeran, whatever it takes. He has been awesome.

Docherty back to his best... Robbie Crawford playing great, still got to remember he's out of position too! 

Jamie Adams has taken over Marvyn Wilson for me as that player you need in your team. He didn't even get booked tonight!! 

Raith were a bit meh, if Vaughen was injured, replace him! Seems to me a bit of a lot of broken eggs in one basket

Onto Aberdeen!

Whether we get Shankland signed up for the rest of the season will def be a deciding factor

100% agree with this. Can only assume he's been holding off as he fancies a return to the Championship in Jan (and if you were a QOS / Falkirk etc then why wouldn't you take a gamble on him for nothing?) but fingers crossed he is enjoying this run of form and stays to see it out

100% agree with this. Can only assume he's been holding off as he fancies a return to the Championship in Jan (and if you were a QOS / Falkirk etc then why wouldn't you take a gamble on him for nothing?) but fingers crossed he is enjoying this run of form and stays to see it out

Surely he’d fancy a bit of silverware at the end of the season and we’re the only club that can offer him that at the moment.

Why didn't Raith play Vaughan tonight by the way.  

Mccall got his tactics spot on and we had none. Double up on him and it's always going to be a struggle for us. Deserved win but the league is far from over.

I still have no doubts we will win the league. We've been saddled with a keeper who wasn't good enough at Peterhead last season. We have former Scotland international (quiet in the back) Scott Robertson playing more games at cb than his natural cm position. To top it off the best cb in the league has been out since he hoofed one clear against you with a broken leg at starks.

Depending on how bad Vaughan’s injury is that could Raiths season on the ropes.
Can’t have been that serious if he stayed on and credit to him for that but there’s a chance he made it worse by playing through it.

I see Shankland as a Moore type of player. In the sense that McCall has given him the chance when others seemed to lose interest. I think he’ll sign at least till the end of the season. He’s playing well and to change club and potentially lose his form may factor him in his decision to stay.

8 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Returning to the Championship might have been on his mind when he signed, but now with him scoring, and assuming he's enjoying himself, you'd think he'd want to stay for the season.

The danger is that he waits to the last minute before deciding, and if he goes, not leaving us enough time to get a replacement. McCall will have to start broaching the subject in the next few weeks.

Archived