Extra holidays for non-smokers?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, whiskychimp said:

My secretary smokes. I genuinely have no idea how she has the time. I keep her super busy and buzz her all the time. 

She still gets her work done and I can't renember one time when she hasnt been at her desk to answer when I call

Witchcraft, or I'm being duped.

Plus folk on here complaining about liberties being taken!!!!!  You're all on PnB instead of working

^^^secretary knows about the call forwarding facility on her desk phone ^^^

I don't think smoke breaks take any more time out at my work than tea breaks do for others. I usually have 3-4 cups of tea or coffee over the course of a day, that probably takes me away as long as smokers spend away tbh.

I'm now rather regretting not taking a mid-afternoon 15 min pint break when I used to have a job across the road from a pub. "Off for a drink of T... "

I'm now rather regretting not taking a mid-afternoon 15 min pint break when I used to have a job across the road from a pub. "Off for a drink of T... "

In one of my old jobs it was fairly common for staff to have a pint with lunch on Fridays. Apparently the company have officially banned the practice now as I don't think productivity was great in the afternoon.

12 hours ago, Jmothecat2 said:

I don't think smoke breaks take any more time out at my work than tea breaks do for others. I usually have 3-4 cups of tea or coffee over the course of a day, that probably takes me away as long as smokers spend away tbh. If someone was smoking 20
a day it might be different but I've never understood people getting irate at someone going out for 2 minutes a couple of times for a smoke when nobody bats an eye lid at tea breaks, extended toilet breaks or all the other little things folk do across the day. My view is as long as they aren't taking liberties and they are getting their work done I'm not bothered if my staff take a couple of extra breaks for a smoke or a coffee.

Good post. I smoke at work and i certainly dont take liberties and tbf my boss doesnt smoke but nips out for some fresh air whilst drinking his coffee occasionally. Swings and roundabouts and all that. People need to chill ffs.

On 01/11/2017 at 16:54, Granny Danger said:

People who smoke have less than half a brain.  There is scientific evidence to support this.

On 01/11/2017 at 17:21, Granny Danger said:

Some of you don’t die young enough.

I'd rather smoke, have half a brain and die young than be a raging old c**t like you.

22 hours ago, Jmothecat2 said:

In one of my old jobs it was fairly common for staff to have a pint with lunch on Fridays. Apparently the company have officially banned the practice now as I don't think productivity was great in the afternoon.

If there's a job where productivity is high on a Friday afternoon, I've never seen it.

Fair enough. I'm mildly jubilant because Friday is a 2.30 finish here, I ran out of stuff to do at 11, so I've happily switched off and expect to be browsing P&B for the next couple of hours.

24 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I'd rather smoke, have half a brain and die young than be a raging old c**t like you.

Well you already have half a brain so that's a start.  :)

And you don't even use it all.  :):)

On nightshifts, I tended to find that because I didn't have anyone hovering over my shoulder clocking how long I took for breaks or lunches that I could take as long as I damn well felt like, so long as I still got my work done. If anything, taking longer breaks me  be more productive because I'd gotten all the procrastination out of my system. Personally, I don't see how this is any different with smoke, coffee or shite breaks for that matter.

As an ex-smoker, when I was hovering quitting, I did find myself being more persuaded to keep smoking, if not for the excuse more that I could kill over an hour a day through work, but I would have dropped it in a heartbeat for six more days leave.

Hardly anyone at my work smokes these days, So it wouldn't make much difference to productivity here. That said, I'd be all for it, just because I'd enjoy watching the conflict.

I'd go further and do it for tea and coffee too.
I stopped drinking coffee a few years back, and even though I would only have one cup in the morning and one after lunch, I was astonished by how much of a difference not drinking it made to my peeing habits. I knew it was a diuretic, but didn't have a clue as to the degree. I'd be going for a piss maybe 6 times a day.
These days, despite drinking loads of water, I only go once or twice a day.

I hate the whole ceremony people do regarding getting a tea or coffee. Standing up, announcing that they're "gasping for a cuppa", etc. Then they toddle off to the kitchen to talk shit to other morons for 10 minutes while making it. Then they come back and drink it, making vacuous comments like "ahhhhh, that's better".

Then they need a piss half an hour later. Then half an hour after that they do it all again.

They should all be chained to their desks and forced to stay there all day. Working hard or reading P&B like me.

Archived