Extra holidays for non-smokers?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/japanese-firm-piala-inc-tokyo-non-smokers-extra-six-days-holiday-cigarette-break-a8028541.html

Japanese firm gives its' non-smoking employees an extra 6 days holidays per year, in lieu of the time that they don't use for smoke breaks.

Caused a bit of heads gone moment with a colleague who smokes, when I mentioned this earlier today.

Genius or crap policy?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a non smoker I'll all for it.

I don't actually care about smokers going out for a fag break. If I wanted to I could go for a wee wander for 10 minutes as well. I sometimes take 20 minutes to have a shit. If folk want to go out and indulge in their addiction, that will f**k up their lungs, leave them smelling like a jakey and cost them thousands a year, then let them. Folk don't need to be sat in an office for hours each day anyway. In fact I don't really need to be in the office at all; I could do my job from anywhere if I had a computer with internet access and a phone. I also could do all I need to do in about 2 or 3 days each week, but have to come in for 8 fucking hours Mon-Fri.

I worked in a office one summer where I swear there was a woman who took a work break now and again from smoking fags. Another place there were two smokers who really took the piss with their breaks, generally taking them when we were busiest and gabbing away for a good 15-20mins. So aye, all for it. Get it up them.

As a smoker I think it's an excellent idea. The thought of a week's luxury holiday in the Caribbean paid for with the money I'd save from not smoking is the first thing I've heard that would actually make me consider stopping. I know there's all sorts of other rational reasons to stop, but smoking isn't a rational thing.

Sack all smokers, do not pay them any unemployment benefit, give their jobs to non-smokers.

1.  Cuts unemployment.

2.  Cuts cost of benefits.

3. Saves employers from having to offer extra holidays as an incentive.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

As a smoker I think it's an excellent idea. The thought of a week's luxury holiday in the Caribbean paid for with the money I'd save from not smoking is the first thing I've heard that would actually make me consider stopping. I know there's all sorts of other rational reasons to stop, but smoking isn't a rational thing.

The financial incentive was what got my dad to quit.  He's big into photography and this was around 2000 when digital cameras were just becoming a thing and were really expensive so he quit and saved the money to buy a digital camera.  

As for this rule, I'm OK with it.  I used to work with a guy who would take excessively long smoke breaks which would really grind my gears when our team was super busy.  He was a nice bloke though so it was hard to stay mad at him.  Another job I worked at counted smoke breaks as part of a total break time, so you would have 1 hour of breaks total including lunch so non-smokers could take 1 hour lunch while smokers would take 1/2 hour lunch and 3 10 minute smoke breaks 

I would be delighted to take an extra 6 days holiday but the chances are they would probably insist I stop taking a 20 minute shit break in the morning and 30 minute tea break in the afternoon in exchange. Not worth it.

In my work it doesn't matter how long people take for their breaks or lunch or whatever, as long as they do their work and step up when they need to.  I work with people who smoke all the time and no-one gives them any hassle for it because we know they don't shirk.  I do work in a job where you can do that, it might be different if it was a less flexible environment or if they were skiving b*****ds.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Because they banned smoking indoors.

I was of the understanding that everyone got breaks at work, and assume that most smokers smoke on those breaks. I've never worked in a place that does otherwise. 

2 minutes ago, Menzel said:

I was of the understanding that everyone got breaks at work, and assume that most smokers smoke on those breaks. I've never worked in a place that does otherwise. 

I think most people just sneak out for a fag now and then, rather than read the paper in the bogs,

I don't actually care about smokers going out for a fag break. If I wanted to I could go for a wee wander for 10 minutes as well. I sometimes take 20 minutes to have a shit. If folk want to go out and indulge in their addiction, that will f**k up their lungs, leave them smelling like a jakey and cost them thousands a year, then let them. Folk don't need to be sat in an office for hours each day anyway. In fact I don't really need to be in the office at all; I could do my job from anywhere if I had a computer with internet access and a phone. I also could do all I need to do in about 2 or 3 days each week, but have to come in for 8 fucking hours Mon-Fri.

You come across as a snivelling, whiney, greeting faced b*****d

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Dark Igloo yes toy nod nodding GIF

24 minutes ago, Finch road said:

You come across as a snivelling, whiney, greeting faced b*****d

Dark Igloo scared scream toy yikes GIF

If this came into play over here then surely any smoker with half a brain would claim they were non-smokers to get the extra holiday?

My last job was bad for this but I'd eithet go out with them or sit and watch TV until they got back. I tried to go for at least one dump each shift as well so it never really bothered me.

Archived