Cheltenham

John Lambies Doos

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never been but my guess would be the best way to do it is to see if there's anywhere doing package deals, like they do for the National. I'd imagine it's a bit pricey to arrange it all individually. 

I'm going in March. Not entirely looking forward to it, but it's as a favour to a friend who has wanted to go for years.

Staying in Birmingham, there's a train every hour to Cheltenham Spa which takes about 40 minutes. I don't think I could handle staying in Cheltenham itself even if I was willing to pay the going rate.

Guinness Grandstand seats booked, so far the cost is just under £700 with train tickets to/from Birmingham still to be added, along with a weekly pass from Birmingham to Cheltenham.

As far as I know, Best Mate Enclosure tickets are gone long before Gold Cup Day. Not sure about other parts of the racecourse. There are quite a few on here who go regularly, so you'll likely get some more comprehensive answers from them.

Hotels in Cheltenham are extortionate but it’s handy and actually a good night out when the festival is on. For next year we’ve got a decent looking city centre apartment from Air bnb, which has worked out a lot cheaper than what we usually pay for a serviced apartment or hotel.

Buy your tickets beforehand. We’re getting one of the full day packages for champions day, sit down meal, guaranteed seat, unlimited drink etc Grandstand tickets other days.

• 1 month later...
On 01/11/2017 at 13:47, trainspotter said:

I'm going in March. Not entirely looking forward to it, but it's as a favour to a friend who has wanted to go for years.

Staying in Birmingham, there's a train every hour to Cheltenham Spa which takes about 40 minutes. I don't think I could handle staying in Cheltenham itself even if I was willing to pay the going rate.

Guinness Grandstand seats booked, so far the cost is just under £700 with train tickets to/from Birmingham still to be added, along with a weekly pass from Birmingham to Cheltenham.

As far as I know, Best Mate Enclosure tickets are gone long before Gold Cup Day. Not sure about other parts of the racecourse. There are quite a few on here who go regularly, so you'll likely get some more comprehensive answers from them.

Me and a mate did it on the cheap 2 years ago staying in a travelodge in Birmingham about a 10/15 minute walk from Birmingham new street station. The only thing stopping us from going back is that queue at the train station. We also had to stand from Birmingham to Cheltenham as was no seats left on the train. If I was going back I reckon I would try and find something cheapish within Cheltenham. Hard but doable I would think.

12 hours ago, Broony88 said:

Me and a mate did it on the cheap 2 years ago staying in a travelodge in Birmingham about a 10/15 minute walk from Birmingham new street station. The only thing stopping us from going back is that queue at the train station. We also had to stand from Birmingham to Cheltenham as was no seats left on the train. If I was going back I reckon I would try and find something cheapish within Cheltenham. Hard but doable I would think.

Cheers, good to know in advance. I'd resigned myself to cattle class on the train anyway.

Also my tickets have arrived.I fly from Edinburgh to Cardiff with flybe got my return for £71.Either stay in cardiff central or newport.This year doing newport again,theres a travelodge right next to the train station which is also a 5 minute bimble from some decent boozers and its quite a good wee town.Also staying this way means the queues for trains etc are very minimal and ive never had to stand in either direction.Normally stay in town for a few after racing and grab a train the back of 7.

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

SkyBet offering money back as free bet on all losing first race bets, up to twenty quid. Bet365 are offering a free bet in their chosen main race of the day if you bet on any other race after 1pm the day before. Up to £25 in my case but may be more or less for others. 

I will probably just take the two main bets and one or two free bets each day and try not to go too mad and keep betting if I don't win. Although the fact exception is Friday as we are going the pub to watch so will likely spend a fortune. 

Will gratefully take any decent tips going! 

Not sure about decent but would go with angels breath in the first.
Sky bet doing money back as cash (rather than a free bet) for all losers in that race.
Beveur d’air and benie des dieux double seems an easy way to make money (too easy)

Archived