The Big Yin's Gong

TONTROOPER

10 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I don't have any issue with the nation bestowing an award on someone who has achieved a lot or made a contribution. As we live in a constitutional monarchy that's going to be a knighthood and the Order of the Hammer and Sickle will have to wait.

The idea of betraying your roots or whatever is classic Scottish kaleyard, kent his father, know your place pish.

I think Connolly is decent too.

Ballz.
It's no the nation bestowing an award, it's the establishment maintaining the 'them and us'  divide.
Instead of being wan o' us the c*** is now wan o' them.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to pile in on the classic Connolly cliche, in that his earlier stuff was brilliant, probably up until the early 90s, after that it's all a bit tired imo. I don't begrudge him though, he had a good career, did a lot for charity and I believe has a quite magnificent record of punching tabloid journalists and photographers. 

1 minute ago, Loondave1 said:

Deservedly so.Says so much about the rudeness and lack of respect shown to wiser elders.That is what i imagine it's significance is ? Maybe i am missing something though.

I suppose it would depend upon whether or not a "wiser elder" was actually attempting to contribute something worthwhile and/or deserving of a hearing. Although I think you are perhaps looking a little too deeply into an amusing GIF lifted from a shit american version of a not-particularly-funny british comedy. 

I will take it by the general negativity of the comments he's not overly keen on Nationalism.I think that may be the "elephant" in the comments room here.

Not sure it's an elephant in the room in the sense that the debate surrounds working class 'f**k the establishment Billy' and him joining the establishment.

But.. his stance on Scottish independence probably disappointed some.

Not sure it's an elephant in the room in the sense that the debate surrounds working class 'f**k the establishment Billy' and him joining the establishment.
But.. his stance on Scottish independence probably disappointed some.

I agree but would imagine being pro Indy would buy him a bit more slack on here.

I suppose it would depend upon whether or not a "wiser elder" was actually attempting to contribute something worthwhile and/or deserving of a hearing. Although I think you are perhaps looking a little too deeply into an amusing GIF lifted from a shit american version of a not-particularly-funny british comedy. 

What show was it ? James Garner by the looks of things in the Yank version.Billys Yank sitcom "Billy" was pretty desperate.I had forgotten all about it till now.

If you don't like Billy Connolly because of his views (last expressed many years ago) about Scottish politics or nationalism then you are most likely a dreary miserable loser.

Personally, I love the Big Yin and think he's far better than most Scottish celebrities, including taking some examples entirely at random, Robbie Coltrane,  Martin Compston, Sean Connery,  James Cosmo,  Brian Cox, Alan Cumming,  Robert Florence,  David Hayman,  Greg Hemphill,  Douglas Henshall,  Sam Heughan,  Gary Lewis,  Kevin McKidd,  Peter Mullan,  Alex Norton,  John Gordon Sinclair,  Elaine C. Smith,  Ken Stott,  Rab Allan,  Aly Bain,  Stuart Braithwaite (Mogwai),  Isobel Campbell (Belle & Sebastian), Edwyn Collins,  John Cummings (Mogwai), Justin Currie (Del Amitri),  Kyle Falconer (The View),  Franz Ferdinand,  Fish,  Pat Kane (Hue & Cry),  Amy Macdonald,  Dougie MacLean, Frankie Boyle, Kevin Bridges and Limmy.

If you think an honorific title is a greater signifier of being part of "the establishment" rather than tangible measures like being a multi millionaire or being friends with royalty you are an utter weirdo.

Also every nation from fascist dictatorships to social democratic republics has an " establishment".

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

If you don't like Billy Connolly because of his views (last expressed many years ago) about Scottish politics or nationalism then you are most likely a dreary miserable loser.

Personally, I love the Big Yin and think he's far better than most Scottish celebrities, including taking some examples entirely at random, Robbie Coltrane,  Martin Compston, Sean Connery,  James Cosmo,  Brian Cox, Alan Cumming,  Robert Florence,  David Hayman,  Greg Hemphill,  Douglas Henshall,  Sam Heughan,  Gary Lewis,  Kevin McKidd,  Peter Mullan,  Alex Norton,  John Gordon Sinclair,  Elaine C. Smith,  Ken Stott,  Rab Allan,  Aly Bain,  Stuart Braithwaite (Mogwai),  Isobel Campbell (Belle & Sebastian), Edwyn Collins,  John Cummings (Mogwai), Justin Currie (Del Amitri),  Kyle Falconer (The View),  Franz Ferdinand,  Fish,  Pat Kane (Hue & Cry),  Amy Macdonald,  Dougie MacLean, Frankie Boyle, Kevin Bridges and Limmy.

Better than Frankie Boyle?  In what way?

Delete this dickhead. I like you but don't you dare come after The Office!

Delete this dickhead. I like you but don't you dare come after The Office!

Sorry but I can't fucking tolerate Ricky Gervais. Awful [emoji38]

What show was it ? James Garner by the looks of things in the Yank version.Billys Yank sitcom "Billy" was pretty desperate.I had forgotten all about it till now.

Oh Christ. I'd blanked that out. It was awful. Connolly didn't translate at all to scripted comedy. Or films either.

Sent from my E5823 using Pie and Bovril mobile app

Oh Christ. I'd blanked that out. It was awful. Connolly didn't translate at all to scripted comedy. Or films either.

Sent from my E5823 using Pie and Bovril mobile app

Tbf I watched a bit of the recent Brent film and I'm convinced he has no idea what made people enjoy The Office. The c**t is clueless.

Archived