**** v Thistle

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd String said:

Lawless against his heroes?

Silly comment really. Most Thistle players from the West and (Western) Central belt of Scotland supported one half of the old Firm growing up. Archie was a Rangers fan, Doolan a Celtic fan. No need to look any further back than Le Chic, who actually performed far better against his boyhood heroes than he ever did against Rangers.

In fact I can’t really think of a Thistle player who supported us growing up: possibly David Craig?

1 hour ago, professor challenger said:

Last couple of games lawless has responded really well in a position not his own.

Id tell him to stay at home on Saturday.

Why? :huh:

Silly comment really. Most Thistle players from the West and (Western) Central belt of Scotland supported one half of the old Firm growing up. Archie was a Rangers fan, Doolan a Celtic fan. No need to look any further back than Le Chic, who actually performed far better against his boyhood heroes than he ever did against Rangers.
In fact I can’t really think of a Thistle player who supported us growing up: possibly David Craig?

True! But Lawless has been pretty classless in public about Rangers, particularly on his twitter account. Let's hope he actually turns up for once against them.

14 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd String said:

True! But Lawless has been pretty classless in public about Rangers, particularly on his twitter account. Let's hope he actually turns up for once against them.

Don't think I can recall watching lawless and thinking he's not trying hard enough regardless who we've been playing. He has his off days but he's always been that kind of player ! Don't care team he supports that's his choice, long as he tries his hardest for us I'm happy !

I think that sort of attitude towards Lawless comes from the fact that he's pretty much openly bigoted. He's posted some right embarrassing shite on his Twitter over the years. Which makes it a somewhat understandable reaction for people to have, I guess. I don't particularly think he shirks responsibility against Rangers any more than any of the rest of the team do, though. They all play well against them at home, and wilt under the pressure at Ibrox.

Regardless, I don't think we'll play 3-5-2 against them on Saturday anyway, so the discussion about him starting at LWB is pointless here. It'll either be a back 4 or back 5, and he won't be playing that deep. I'd definitely have him further up the pitch, though.

Lawless’s best pal at Motherwell was Paul Slane. I think we got the better option there :P

No doubt he’s not exactly brain of Britain but he Hopefully seems to have calmed down a wee bit.

Lawless’s best pal at Motherwell was Paul Slane. I think we got the better option there [emoji14]
No doubt he’s not exactly brain of Britain but he Hopefully seems to have calmed down a wee bit.

Perhaps the one guy who could make Lawless’ twitter exploits look reasonable...

1 hour ago, jagfox99 said:

Why? :huh:

Get your point about club loyalty and totally agree but Lawless seems to have a total brainfreeze when playing his boyhood heroes,     I like Lawless and admire what he's done in the last couple of weeks but it would be stupid to ignore how he's performed in the past.

11 minutes ago, professor challenger said:

Get your point about club loyalty and totally agree but Lawless seems to have a total brainfreeze when playing his boyhood heroes,     I like Lawless and admire what he's done in the last couple of weeks but it would be stupid to ignore how he's performed in the past.

To be fair over the last few seasons our full team have had brain freeze against rangers no matter how awful they've been. Certainly haven't seen anything lawless has done against them to single him out have you ? Guys allowed a private life and his own beliefs even if they are fucking stupid ones.

2 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

Lies. Kris Doolan was born with a red and yellow bonnet and it said FTOF on it. How dare you. How very dare you.

I think it’s very ‘tin foil hat’ to suggest that Lawless deliberately doesn’t try against Rangers. Can’t say I pay much attention to his Twitter either. He’s a young guy and he’s allowed a life outside of his place of work. Unless he’s openly cheering Rangers on against us, I couldn’t care less. 

The guy has been a tremendous servant to the club for years now and he’s doing a very commendable job playing out of position when we’re so short with injuries.

One of the worst* atmospheres I've been in as a Thistle fan was when I was a wee boy, away to Celtic around 1993 where Gerry Britton had an Ade Azeez-esque performance missing 2 or 3 one on ones and there were plenty folk suggesting he deliberately missed against the team he supported and played for as a boy, and fights breaking out because of it. These people had seen Gerry Britton play before, I assume.

What Jagfox said about Charnley is correct but in the game where we beat Celtic 1-0 at Firhill and Shaw scored from his free kick in the 2nd half he was getting dogs abuse for not trying against Celtic going off at HT. 

I haven't seen anything from Lawless to suggest he doesn't try a leg against Rangers and we're going to need him. His twitter account should be taken off him or at least locked for his own safety- good chance he tweets about gambling again sometime soon- but there's plenty of professional footballers who are numpties and probably a lot of the team of 1993 or so would have got into trouble if social media existed then.

*the absolute worst was away to QoS under Dick Campbell when we got beat 3 or 4 -1

Archived