Mids Cup winners

Watched the game last night and mids gained a thoroughly deserved victory, despite a rather dubious first goal. Great all round performance by the youthful team from Lockerbie. If they can keep this team together it won't be long till they're challenging for the league title and winning more silverware in the future.

Win also sets-up Mids v Tynecastle next month in the South & East of Scotland Cup-Winners' Shield for a Scottish Cup place.

As I was commenting on the 'Domestic Cup' sub-forum thread, this must be the biggest Mids game for 80-odd years?

They haven't played in the Scottish Cup since 1930-31, and last night seems to have been their first senior trophy since 1935-36.

54 minutes ago, harry worth said:

Don't  think winning this gets you into Scottish cup hj

The rumour was that it gets you a Scottish Cup place but I'm not sure if it was confirmed anywhere?   I've got a feeling there was something linked to on here about it getting a place but I can't remember how reliable the source was.   HJ will know more.

2 hours ago, gogsy said:

Congratulations to Mid Annandale, hope you beat the mob from Castle Douglas for a trip up to Kelty in the South Challenge cup.

Having seen Kelty first hand it's a daunting prospect ahead for the winner but South teams have nothing to lose in real terms against teams of this calibre 

8 hours ago, harry worth said:

Don't  think winning this gets you into Scottish cup hj

It does.

7 hours ago, stanley said:

The rumour was that it gets you a Scottish Cup place but I'm not sure if it was confirmed anywhere?   I've got a feeling there was something linked to on here about it getting a place but I can't remember how reliable the source was.   HJ will know more.

Indeed.

Whole point of the South & East of Scotland Cup-Winners' Shield being established was obviously related to the Scottish Cup - previous 10yrs was inequitable compared to the Juniors, who could qualify through their leagues or the Junior Cup, whereas seniors had leagues only. If you consult the rulebook on the SFA website you'll find the competition listed on p37 and its status as a qualifying competition on p144:

6. (d) The winners of the South & East Cup Winners Shield will be permitted to enter the Competition, irrespective of their membership status with the Scottish FA.

EDIT: Of course the South Alba Cup - initially titled the "Southern Alternate Cup" - was itself established to mirror the EOS's Alex Jack Cup and feed the SESCWS.

There was no qualifier from last season because LTHV won the EOS League as well as last season's SESCWS where they'd thumped Lochar.

As things stand Mids are sitting 10th with 17pts from 10 games, and Tynecastle are 7th with 12pts from 7 games, so looking pretty likely the slot will be used this season.

Don't hold your breath but will be pleased to be proved wrong hj
I'm sure LTHV had notes in their program at the end of season decider against Leith Athletic saying they had already qualified for the Scottish Cup courtesy of winning the South and East shield

8 hours ago, harry worth said:

No-one need hold their breath.

There was coverage about it in the local press when the inaugural final was played in April; I've just quoted the section of the SFA rulebook mentioning it; there were references throughout coverage of last month's Alex Jack Cup Final; and EOSL website said something like:

"Well done to Tynecastle who won the Alex Jack Cup Final at Prestonpans yesterday. They will face the winner of the South's Alba Cup in the Inter-League Shield on Sunday 19th November for a place in next season's Scottish Cup".

1 hour ago, calmac25 said:
9 hours ago, harry worth said:

I'm sure LTHV had notes in their program at the end of season decider against Leith Athletic saying they had already qualified for the Scottish Cup courtesy of winning the South and East shield

p4:

"Congratulations to our senior team Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale beating Lochar Thistle 6-1 in the Final of the South & East Cup-Winners' Shield, and they now have a place in the William Hill Scottish Cup 2017-18".

On 28/10/2017 at 12:47, Toshson said:

Watched the game last night and mids gained a thoroughly deserved victory, despite a rather dubious first goal. Great all round performance by the youthful team from Lockerbie. If they can keep this team together it won't be long till they're challenging for the league title and winning more silverware in the future.

Mids 1-2 Ymca 

I think mids need to find a level of consistency before they can be considered as title challengers. 

The pre madonna's of Mids were bad today, might as well have played with 10 men as the have nothing up top. If they had a striker of any sort they will be difficult to breakdown. 

Nithsdale worked hard as a unit and man for man are nowhere near as talented as the Mids guys but showed that you can have all the talent in the world but if you have no heart you are nothing. 

The past few weeks have showed the squad in nowhere near big enough, time for the wee man Ted to release some of the u20's to step up as they are better than some of the first 11.

Archived