'Well - Hibees

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 28/10/2017 at 02:37, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

I pray that the Hibs players get out of this alive. They are guid c***s, after all. Wouldn't want to be endangering their lives.

We all breathed a sigh a relief at full time.  I think they all made the team bus ok. 

Yesterday was a timely reminder that we're not world beaters and like any other team - we can't afford to have people off form (never mind 7 or 8 players in the one game) and hope to get much against the better teams in the league. Hibs had been involved in a week every bit as strenuous as ours but they looked fresher, dealt with the (shite, game ruining) conditions better than us and generally were just a couple of levels above us in performance.  

One of Robinson's best traits has been his ability to try to make substantial changes with subs (as opposed to the "fresh pair of legs" approach beloved of practically every Motherwell manager I can remember) - but although every one of his subs were better than the man they replaced, it wasn't enough to alter the course of the game.  

Not many positives to take from the game - except that if we use Demi-whassiname properly, he could be a real asset to the team as he is genuinely quick - looking forward to seeing him when the team are playing well and the wind is below force 8....

18 minutes ago, Swello said:

Not many positives to take from the game - except that if we use Demi-whassiname properly, he could be a real asset to the team as he is genuinely quick - looking forward to seeing him when the team are playing well and the wind is below force 8....

This was the one thing that interested me when he signed, specifically where he'd fit in with the first team. I was impressed with him when I saw him with the u20s and there's no question that he's absolutely rapid...properly so but given we've essentially been 352 (and having success with it) Petey's neither a wing back nor an out and out centre forward. He also doesn't really fit in to the "lump it up to the big man" tag we seem to have acquired either. So I'm curious as to where/how we plan to utilise him.

None of that's a criticism btw, it's interesting in that he looks like someone who could give us a very different sort of option up front as part of a baws oot 343 if we wanted to go down that route at times or, though I don't think we've ever really played it well in recent seasons, as a winger in a 4231.

I thought it was quite a disappointing game all round, thought Hibs were a few levels down from the Edinburgh derby and the second half against Celtic and we were a couple additional levels down and what looked like it should have been a really good football game was a bit of a slog.  No doubt the  better team won as Hibs got in behind us time after time in the first twenty minutes or so and just as we appeared to have settled down Cedric Kipre had a moment and we were behind.  We did improve a bit but never really got a relentless spell of pressure to try and force Hibs to buckle and they were generally quite content to defend well.  John McGinn was a class above the other 21 on the pitch though he doesn't half commit a lot of fouls, I'd never really noticed it before but he is a wee nark (not that that's necessarily a bad thing - wee Campbell is the same),  Hibs managed the game pretty well last ten to fifteen minutes and didn't let us pressurise the way we may have done.  Sure both will improve before next weekend with a full week of training and no match and hopefully we can pick up where we were 60 minutes into Wednesday night.

Archived