Scotland's Coolest City

ICTChris

Scotland's Coolest City  

161 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bernardblack
Used to live in Dundee, can't say I miss it whatsoever and this cool city tag is just a response to the reputation it's traditionally had. 
Nowhere in the country beats Leith imo, wouldn't want to live anywhere else in the UK. 

Had a day out in Leith and it was fantastic tbh. Great range of boozers and friendly atmosphere.

Did see a guy on a hover board type thing, with a selfie stick FaceTiming someone though....

Voted Glasgow mainly due to the size of the place meaning there's always more going on than anywhere else.  "Coolest" city I dunno - about a quarter of it seems to be on fire at any given time recently.

I've always liked Edinburgh and spent a lot of time through there due to going out with an Edinburgh burd for a few years a while back - apart from at festival time when it becomes a complete pain in the arse living there.

I'd never really spent much time in Dundee up until fairly recently, but it's grown on me - it's got a quirkiness about it I like.

I like all three of Stirling, Perth and Inverness but  I don't really see any of them as cities...they're just fairly big towns by Scottish standards that are far enough away from the big boys that they can't be classed as satellites of any of them....they're not big enough to have enough going on culturally or entertainment-wise that they could realistically compete with any of the big four.

On ‎28‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 17:56, welshbairn said:

Inverness is a great place to live but nobody could describe it as "cool". Got a bit of culture shock on a recent trip to Aberdeen to see women not wearing fleeces and sensible boots.

only thing inverness has in its favour is the fact the highlands are on its doorstep.the town itself(in no way,shape or form is it a city)is an utter hole

1 hour ago, highlandcowden said:

only thing inverness has in its favour is the fact the highlands are on its doorstep.the town itself(in no way,shape or form is it a city)is an utter hole

Harsh. The area around the stations and the shops is awful, but down at the river and the part to the east with all the big houses, it's splendid. Good leisure facilities too.

Inverness city centre is a bit hit and miss, for example there's a lot of scum wandering about, but yep the further east/south east you go, the much nicer it is.

#Drakies

Inverness city centre is utterly brutal. Down by the river is nice but apart from that it's shite. A town masquerading as a city. The surrounding area is fantastic though. Basically, the further away you get from the town the better.

Inverness city centre is like Dundee's Lochee. 

I was in Lochee the other day and nipped into Greggs. I purchased a cup of tea and a steak bake. I couldn't put milk or sugar in my tea though as there was two junkies popping various pills on the counter. 

5 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Inverness city centre is a bit hit and miss, for example there's a lot of scum wandering about, but yep the further east/south east you go, the much nicer it is.

#Drakies

I've never in my life set foot in Drakies.  And, god willing, I never will.

1 minute ago, Highland Capital said:

I've never in my life set foot in Drakies.  And, god willing, I never will.

If you're an Invernessian but not from Drakies, you're a sizeable VL IMO.

I was back in Inverness recently and went for a drive out on the new bridge over the river, it's really interesting how it's opened the town up.  When I was a kid you didn't think of the IRA end of town being anywhere near to Torvean or the athletics stadium but there it is.  It always seemed like that side of town was miles away and no-one was friends with anyone from that area when I was a kid but it's now practically next door.

I was also pleased to see that the abandoned factory (fibreglass factory I think?) is still abandoned although I bet more kids get the joy of messing about in it now that there's a road right past it.

2 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Is there a better place in town, than the place they call Crown?

No.

Have a red dot. 

Inverness High Street is grim. Church Street has improved dramatically over the last few years but it's still populated by some scummy types.  There's just a lot needing done in the town centre to get it up to a decent standard.

3 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Is there a better place in town, than the place they call Crown?

No.

Yes. Unless your mission is to con elderly widows, then you're in the right place.

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Yes. Unless your mission is to con elderly widows, then you're in the right place.

Crown has Velocity Cafe, some beautiful buildings, the Heathmount and Crown Store which opens at 4.30am for some reason.  Truly heaven on Earth.

Archived