Belgium - Specifically Antwerp

Ross.

On 10/27/2017 at 14:22, Girth said:

I been considering a trip to Antwerp. Possibly Ghent too. Are these cities pricey?

Thank you.

Wee update and a reply to this seeing as I was there at the weekend.

Antwerp is an absolutely stunning city in parts, particularly the area around the Cathedral. The wee windy streets are a fucking nightmare for orientation, seemed to find I was never quite where I thought I was but as they always turned back onto themselves you would get there eventually. Didn't really venture too far from that area, was snowing heavily for one and there were so many decent bars and restaurants that there was no great need, though we did take a walk down to the MAS as there are a few decent restaurants and bars around there also(Not to mention the red light district, which we inadvertently passed through. My missus acted amused at this...). Food prices and quality varied hugely depending on where you went and what you ate, but I would agree it is on a par with most cities in western Europe. Bevvy prices were also all over the place but if you like beer/lager you could easily have a very cheap night there as you were paying around 3 euros a pop for a 330ml bottle of Vedett and not much more for a pint of some of the other local bevvies. If you drink spirits, it is much more expensive. If you go I would recommend checking out Jones & Co, Applemans, The Belmond or The Jazz Cafe for a bevvy, all of them were tremendous pubs. The food in Applemans and Belmond was also more than decent, if you need something to soak up the beer. Hit numerous brasseries also but can't remember the names and there are that many there would be no point in trying.

Belgian beer is fucking strong btw. Think the weakest I seen on sale was around 5.2%, most of them over 6% and a good few of them a couple of % stronger still.

Archived