c***s on the road

A good thing to do when sitting on a congested motorway with someone right on your bumper is to pull in to the middle lane and let them pass, then pull back out behind them and drive even closer than they were, as they sit a full one car further forward than where they would have been. Genuinely can’t understand people who think that when the motorway is moderately busy they can still fly down the outside lane and everyone has to flock to get out their way, everyone is in the same position. 
A good thing you say? Sounds like you should have your licence revoked for such reckless and outrageous driving behaviour.

I was about to post the same. Using the body language of the car to signal your intentions is immensely useful, nay, a real skill. 

Compare it with a ‘roided up dick trying to force his way to the bar (there’s your tailgaters @welshbairn) or you can also get there by being polite but making clear your intentions that you want to make your way through the throng. (A busy bar?, pah! I wish, these days). 

Edited by alta-pete
Replying to Jimmy boos previous but one post

Just now, welshbairn said:

I assumed that's the only reason someone would flash their brake lights. 

Flashing your brake lights is c***s behaviour if you are sitting any where other than the inside lane. If you are in the middle or outside lane and not overtaking then I don’t blame anyone for sitting close behind (I would never flash or blow the horn though, I just sit silently seething and on the odd occasion undertake them while looking in their window shaking my head), you drive on the inside lane at ALL times unless overtaking. It’s a very simple rule that it seems about 60% of the driving public are unaware of. There should definitely be a part of the driving test that involves motorway travel, because I genuinely think people just don’t know that. One of the bosses in my work was talking to a girl in the office who had just passed her test, and she was telling us she still hadn’t been on the motorway as she was too scared. He said to her ‘just get on and get to the middle lane and sit there until you need to get off’ :lol:  

7 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:
30 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:
A good thing to do when sitting on a congested motorway with someone right on your bumper is to pull in to the middle lane and let them pass, then pull back out behind them and drive even closer than they were, as they sit a full one car further forward than where they would have been. Genuinely can’t understand people who think that when the motorway is moderately busy they can still fly down the outside lane and everyone has to flock to get out their way, everyone is in the same position. 

A good thing you say? Sounds like you should have your licence revoked for such reckless and outrageous driving behaviour.

If someone is going to sit up my arse while I sit in a queue of slow moving traffic with no option to go any faster, then I’m quite happy to do the same back. Maybe they will realise what I’m doing and refrain from such behaviour in the future. 

12 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:
1 hour ago, Angusfifer said:
It's not the individual on the receiving end of tail-gating that is to blame. The tail-gaters should keep a safe distance behind the car ahead who is, more often than not, driving at the national speed limit. 

The holier than thou who think its ok to sit smuggly in the outside lane at 69 mph are the problem and those behind are not tail gaiting for it to be obvious that they should just pull over and let faster cars past.

It's the overtaking lane... 

27 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:
1 hour ago, Angusfifer said:
It's not the individual on the receiving end of tail-gating that is to blame. The tail-gaters should keep a safe distance behind the car ahead who is, more often than not, driving at the national speed limit. 

The holier than thou who think its ok to sit smuggly in the outside lane at 69 mph are the problem and those behind are not tail gaiting for it to be obvious that they should just pull over and let faster cars past.

Being in the  outside lane has absolutely nothing to do with what speed you are going at. You can legitimately be there doing 69 or 59, it’s a lane that should be solely used for overtaking. If you, for some reason, find yourself in the outside lane at ANY speed and you aren’t over taking anyone you pull over to the left.

That’s another area I think there is a lack of education, where people have heard other drivers call the outside lane the ‘fast lane’, so if you are travelling at or around 70mph you have the right to travel in the outside lane because you are going ‘fast’. 

9 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Being in the  outside lane has absolutely nothing to do with what speed you are going at. You can legitimately be there doing 69 or 59, it’s a lane that should be solely used for overtaking. If you, for some reason, find yourself in the outside lane at ANY speed and you aren’t over taking anyone you pull over to the left.

That’s another area I think there is a lack of education, where people have heard other drivers call the outside lane the ‘fast lane’, so if you are travelling at or around 70mph you have the right to travel in the outside lane because you are going ‘fast’. 

Agreed. The problems arise when drivers have completed their overtake and continue to sit in lane three or the midle lane and refuse to pull left just because there is some dick speeding behind them. The fact that there is a dangerous speeder or tailgaitor should be none of their concern and it's not their business to police the roads. I've long ago learned to drive my own journey with respect to others and if i've just overtaken someone  at 80mph for example and someone is up my arse then i'll just pull left as i've no interest in teaching him/her a lesson unlike others earlier in this thread.

51 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

I was about to post the same. Using the body language of the car to signal your intentions is immensely useful, nay, a real skill. 

Compare it with a ‘roided up dick trying to force his way to the bar (there’s your tailgaters @welshbairn) or you can also get there by being polite but making clear your intentions that you want to make your way through the throng. (A busy bar?, pah! I wish, these days). 

On advanced driving courses it's known as presenting  your vehicle in a bold and non aggressive manner as I suspect you know.

3 hours ago, jimmy boo said:

Some horrific and dangerous driving being admitted to here in the name of teaching others a lesson. If you're holding someone up just pull in. Its not your job to police the roads.

Well where's the fun in that?

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I don't think anyone's saying you shouldn't move over if there's somewhere to move over to, with someone faster behind you. 

Apart from those brake testing folk behind for a laugh and make themselves feel better. Outragious driving behaviour.

17 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:

Agreed. The problems arise when drivers have completed their overtake and continue to sit in lane three or the midle lane and refuse to pull left just because there is some dick speeding behind them. The fact that there is a dangerous speeder or tailgaitor should be none of their concern and it's not their business to police the roads. I've long ago learned to drive my own journey with respect to others and if i've just overtaken someone  at 80mph for example and someone is up my arse then i'll just pull left as i've no interest in teaching him/her a lesson unlike others earlier in this thread.

Sorry I think I read your original post wrong there. Agree with what your saying and I do exactly the same. If I’m sitting in the outside lane and have someone screaming up behind me I will overtake the cars on the left until I have a space to pull in and let them pass. Most of the time you don’t even need to drop your speed and you can let the driver that wants to scream away at 80 or 90mph past with a slim chance you get to go past them again a couple of miles up the road as they sit upside down in a fiery wreckage. 

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Keep a safe distance and you won't shit your pants. Sorted.

Or be aware of your mirrors and be capable of making judgements on relative speeds in lanes, act accordingly with courtesy for everyone, and then no one need trouble their pants. 

19 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I don't think anyone's saying you shouldn't move over if there's somewhere to move over to, with someone faster behind you. 

No one is saying it on here, but travel along any part of dual carriageway or motorway with a speed limit of 60mph and above and you will see it happen time after time. There seems to be certain roads where drivers on the whole act a bit better and it’s not as regular. I’ve always found the M74 after you get through Lanarkshire to be fine, where people will overtake and get left straight away. Usually any road that has a high percentage of long haul trucks using it will be better than commuter roads like parts of the M8 etc. 

14 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

If they're driving a safe distance behind the car in front, brake testing will have no effect.

Drive like a c**t, get treated like a c**t.

But, in my experience, the reason people aren’t driving a safe distance behind the car in front is because that car is driving like a c**t. So does the driver who first drives like a c**t take the blame here, or the c**t who has reacted to the driver driving like a c**t?

Edited by IrishBhoy

9 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Sorry I think I read your original post wrong there. Agree with what your saying and I do exactly the same. If I’m sitting in the outside lane and have someone screaming up behind me I will overtake the cars on the left until I have a space to pull in and let them pass. Most of the time you don’t even need to drop your speed and you can let the driver that wants to scream away at 80 or 90mph past with a slim chance you get to go past them again a couple of miles up the road as they sit upside down in a fiery wreckage. 

Driving down and back to England on the M74 a few times a year it's easy for my speed to creep up to 80 plus but there is always someone up your arse wanting past no matter what speed i'm going so it's no big deal.