c***s on the road

5 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Aye, but she seems like the only one who’ll walk away scot free. If you’re that unconfident a driver that you have to drive at half the speed limit on a straight bit of road then hand your fucking licence back instead of putting others in danger.

That crash happened at the very far end of a dodgy short straight on a very winding section of road, ie 50 yards from a sharp blind corner, so if the 2 protagonists were approaching on the wrong side of the road  at 85 mph I don’t see how she could possibly be to blame.

100% not her fault, the other people were obviously being wildly irresponsible, as the court found. 

If I'm driving on the overtaking lane I assume any car I'm overtaking is liable to pull out at anytime without warning, especially if they're approaching a slow moving vehicle in front. On the other hand I don't think I'm a brilliant driver with superfast reactions so I can easily cope with numpty other drivers doing the unexpected, at nearly 20mph over the limit.

The reason why it's so stupid and dangerous to drive at excessive speed is because people make mistakes.

The person driving slowly is not culpable, as frustrating as over-cautious drivers are. It could have been a cyclist or a tractor.

18 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

. It could have been a cyclist or a tractor.

Ahh the old could've/ would've/ should've argument. 

Brought to you by the 'what if' brigade. 

Absolute nonsense in any context,  usually countered with "but it wasn't'. 

2 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

Ahh the old could've/ would've/ should've argument. 

Brought to you by the 'what if' brigade. 

Absolute nonsense in any context,  usually countered with "but it wasn't'. 

Driving according to the conditions includes having the potential of old people driving slowly and numpties pulling out to overtake without warning, just as much as tractors and cyclists. The faster you go the less time you have to react to the unexpected.

17 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Travelling down the motorway overtaking lane at 85ish (aye, not great). Clearky travelling too fast, yet the boy in front of me in the left lane decides to swing out, with just a single flash of his indicator, into the overtaking lane despite the car hes planning on overtaking being well ahead of him, to the point where you could've fit a couple lorries between them, queue me having to swerve into the left hand lane simply to avoid him.

His hand gestures somehow suggest I was entirely at fault.

Folk who cant gauge the speed of other people and react accordingly cause as many issues as the people speeding, IMO.

Shouldn't need to. You need to leave earlier and not drive like such a fanny. 

It wouldn't have made a jot of difference if the woman was going 30 or 60, they were going to overtake anyway, probably at higher speed. Her speed had no bearing on the accident.

If the guy pulling out checked his mirrors and signalled, the accident could have been avoided.

If the guy speeding had been driving at a speed to suit the road conditions, the accident could have been avoided.

10 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Shouldn't need to. You need to leave earlier and not drive like such a fanny. 

*shrugs*

Two wrongs dont make a right m8, me speeding doesn't mean someone pulling out in front of faster travelling cars isnt dangerous. 

54 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Driving according to the conditions includes having the potential of old people driving slowly and numpties pulling out to overtake without warning, just as much as tractors and cyclists. The faster you go the less time you have to react to the unexpected.

I don't disagree with any of that. Thanks for pointing it out. 

However my point stands. 

The 'what if' argument. In any context, is absolute rubbish. 

What if a dog runs out?

What if it was a cat? 

What if it was a cyclist?

What if it was raining?

But what if it wasn't? 

I could go on. 

But I won't. 

Meaningless. 

No need for a "what if" in this case. He was going far faster than his driving ability would allow.

I'd like to see the evidence that the deid guy didn't look in his mirrors or indicate by the way. Seems to me we've only got the word of the guy that killed him.

People who park anywhere they like (particularly right beside a parking place) and think putting their hazard lights on somehow makes this ok.
Isn't that the sole purpose of the "Park Anywhere" lights.

On 07/03/2020 at 11:35, Hampden Diehard said:

People who park anywhere they like (particularly right beside a parking place) and think putting their hazard lights on somehow makes this ok.

Pretty much every taxi driver in the country.