c***s on the road

Aye, option 4 consistent with our recent experience.

Very surprised that Mrs a-p II's wee diesel Audi killed its battery through lockdown. It was used to getting thrashed in and out of Edinburgh every day for 2 years and suddenly it just wasn't getting used at all for months at a time. A couple of jump starts over the piece and the garage declared it needed replaced as it was refusing to take an adequate charge.

What with your recent health issues @Jacksgranda, could there have been a change in the frequency you've been using the car?  

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Most common causes:

-Lots of short trips not allowing charging system to get battery recharged from starting.

-Small short/drain from a faulty circuit (much more likely these days)…especially an aftermarket alarm.

-Alternator or component of the system not allowing proper charging.

-Battery knackered*.

*Batteries get knackered based upon age, use and poor charging habits/system. A brand new battery, drained flat a couple of times, can be toast.

This

51 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Aye, option 4 consistent with our recent experience.

Very surprised that Mrs a-p II's wee diesel Audi killed its battery through lockdown. It was used to getting thrashed in and out of Edinburgh every day for 2 years and suddenly it just wasn't getting used at all for months at a time. A couple of jump starts over the piece and the garage declared it needed replaced as it was refusing to take an adequate charge.

What with your recent health issues @Jacksgranda, could there have been a change in the frequency you've been using the car?  

No, very low mileage this last 3 years,

4 hours ago, microdave said:

On my way to work this morning, the battery light came on with the display saying "battery charging error" but everything felt fine so I carried on. After doing a bit of research (google), it might be the alternator needing replaced. That was fine until I read the BiB and now I'm worrying about gettng home and then to the garage later on.

No, I didn't make it home. Now "parked" next to a bus stop like a proper c**t on the road waiting for a rescue vehicle.

56 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

This

No, very low mileage this last 3 years,

Yea, you’ve likely killed the battery…My MIL has the same issue. The best answer is to, at least once a week, do a good 20-30 drive somewhere. The distance isn’t important, it’s the time…and keeping the engine running the whole time (unless it has stop/start, which shouldn’t activate while the battery isn’t fully charged). Plan B is a battery charger to hook up on a regular basis…but it’ll only help a little. Best backup is a small Li-ion battery jump pack and being willing to buy batteries pretty often.

6 hours ago, flyingscot said:

I'd suggest it's to reduce congestion and make the traffic lights more efficient.

From the video, the people cross London Road and Leith Walk at the same time traffic is flowing in certain directions. The green man across London Road is on at the same time as the green traffic light for Leith Walk/Elm Row - fine as the left turn is supposed to be prohibited. 

If you allow this left turn into London Road, the pedestrian signal can't be on green at the same time as the green traffic light on Leith Walk. Therefore, to let people across London Road there needs to be another phase added where traffic is stopped on both Leith Walk and London Road. This will lead to 20-25 seconds of 'dead time' where all traffic is stationary whilst people cross the road. 

The councillor alludes to this in his second tweet that the modelling shows it doesn't work. It's more efficient to ban the left turn and have people wanting to go east find another route or circle back at Picardy Place than delaying all traffic for the convenience of a few who want to turn left.

It is obviously not working.  The simple solution is to allow the left turn and let pedestrians take their chance!

22 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Yea, you’ve likely killed the battery…My MIL has the same issue. The best answer is to, at least once a week, do a good 20-30 drive somewhere. The distance isn’t important, it’s the time…and keeping the engine running the whole time (unless it has stop/start, which shouldn’t activate while the battery isn’t fully charged). Plan B is a battery charger to hook up on a regular basis…but it’ll only help a little. Best backup is a small Li-ion battery jump pack and being willing to buy batteries pretty often.

I take it that's minutes.

I'm halfway there - every fortnight there is a round trip to Cookstown/Pomeroy - Cookstown (20 minutes travelling time) involves a stop and switch off.

Pomeroy (30 minutes approx), I wheel into the yard, fill the car up with small children and drive off, making sure that no dogs or cats have been smuggled on board, usually doesn't involve a switch off.

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

I take it that's minutes.

I'm halfway there - every fortnight there is a round trip to Cookstown/Pomeroy - Cookstown (20 minutes travelling time) involves a stop and switch off.

Pomeroy (30 minutes approx), I wheel into the yard, fill the car up with small children and drive off, making sure that no dogs or cats have been smuggled on board, usually doesn't involve a switch off.

Sorry, yes, minutes. If the car sits a long time often, a battery tender is a godsend, if you have a garage.

11 hours ago, alta-pete said:

Had cause to have interaction with Police Scotland's traffic division a couple of years ago and the chap enquired whether I had a dash cam (which I did not). Light hearted discussion thereafter that most who had dash cams were indeed the c***s on the road who were needing watched. 

See also cyclists with cameras 

10 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I think as you go down the transport food chain, cameras begin to make sense. 

Pedestrians are probably the most vulnerable.

After the Number 17 bus service users in Dundee. 

Edited by Cosmic Joe

On 19/12/2022 at 11:54, alta-pete said:

Had cause to have interaction with Police Scotland's traffic division a couple of years ago and the chap enquired whether I had a dash cam (which I did not). Light hearted discussion thereafter that most who had dash cams were indeed the c***s on the road who were needing watched. 

Probably the same sort of police officer/Sevco fan whose body cam is conveniently not working when they’re kicking the shit out of arresting a non-white ‘criminal’.

Shout out to the VW Passat driver who ploughed on through the red light at the pedestrian crossing on the Meadows in Edinburgh.

They overtook a row of cars stopped and stacked back to the junction ahead, as the were turning right and I presume he didn't fancy queuing. Not sure the road had even split at that point so may also have been on the wrong side of the road.*

Lucky I just had the feeling he wasn't stopping and said so to my Mrs who was understandably not paying attention to him. We were crossing with my partner, 2 year old and 6 week old baby. 

*Just checked and the road had split, so just the steaming through a red light. 

Edited by Eatmygoal

47 minutes ago, Eatmygoal said:

Shout out to the VW Passat driver who ploughed on through the red light at the pedestrian crossing on the Meadows in Edinburgh.

They overtook a row of cars stopped and stacked back to the junction ahead, as the were turning right and I presume he didn't fancy queuing. Not sure the road had even split at that point so may also have been on the wrong side of the road.

Lucky I just had the feeling he wasn't stopping and said so to my Mrs who was understandably not paying attention to him. We were crossing with my partner, 2 year old and 6 week old baby. 

Surely there’s a camera(s) in the area with a view, and a complaint noting that camera(s) might get some action.

13 hours ago, tamthebam said:

More like drivers with cameras. In West Yorks drivers submitted more than twice as many camera reports than cyclists yet only 2% of them resulted in action being taken, compared to 34% of cyclists reports.

8 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

More like drivers with cameras. In West Yorks drivers submitted more than twice as many camera reports than cyclists yet only 2% of them resulted in action being taken, compared to 34% of cyclists reports.

Probably because the motorists were reporting inconsiderate cyclists and vice versa.  Far easier to track down a motorist than a cyclist.  Also, cyclists don't get penalty points so where a motorist reported a cyclist this would not show.

Edited by strichener