c***s on the road

5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Maybe they were signalling you to pass instead of tailgating them?

4 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Is that a thing? If someone fired an indicator on the last thing I’d think to do is overtake them. 

Maybe on a single track road happened to us while on Mull last month.

On 26/10/2021 at 23:40, eez-eh said:

Cars parked on the pavement combined with it being bin day meant the pavements were a fucking nightmare when out a walk yesterday. Twice had to push the pram onto the road as there just wasn’t room to squeeze past on the pavement.

We need a c***s that should be on the road thread.

This was raised by some Stirling neighbourhood group the wife's on. Quite a lot of folk complaing about pavement parking with pictures being posted etc until finally someone reported it to the council. The reply was if the car isn't obstructing traffic on the road, there's nothing they can or will do about it. 

20 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

This was raised by some Stirling neighbourhood group the wife's on. Quite a lot of folk complaing about pavement parking with pictures being posted etc until finally someone reported it to the council. The reply was if the car isn't obstructing traffic on the road, there's nothing they can or will do about it. 

There was a law voted for in 2019 in Holyrood to ban it, but with caveats that have yet to be sorted out with the Councils, like allowing delivery drivers 20 minutes to do it on narrow streets and the like. They're talking about maybe 2023 for implementation. 

1 hour ago, Newbornbairn said:

I remember a policeman saying the law states there must be room for a double buggy to pass any parked vehicles on a pavement. Don't know if that's right or not, but makes sense. Presumably not enforced anywhere.

There are streets in Dunfermline where parking on the pavement is normal, the problem for the council is that many of the houses own the land out into the middle of the road, so the people who park on the pavement are actually parking on their own land.

5 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

There are streets in Dunfermline where parking on the pavement is normal, the problem for the council is that many of the houses own the land out into the middle of the road, so the people who park on the pavement are actually parking on their own land.

Was under the impression that the local council always owned the little strip of ground in front of everybody’s house which in turn allowed them the right to charge the council tax upon the households. Then again, Dunfermline have given Peacocks the freedom to roam the streets so maybe they turn a blind eye to cars on the pavement!

21 minutes ago, supermik said:

Was under the impression that the local council always owned the little strip of ground in front of everybody’s house which in turn allowed them the right to charge the council tax upon the households. Then again, Dunfermline have given Peacocks the freedom to roam the streets so maybe they turn a blind eye to cars on the pavement!

I thought that as well, but I remember a report in the paper years ago about it. A quick look at at the land registry show some houses do own the land into the road. Only in Fife lol

House.jpg.ebc44763f5a7476aac33689d65ea25dc.jpg

7 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

I thought that as well, but I remember a report in the paper years ago about it. A quick look at at the land registry show some houses do own the land into the road. Only in Fife lol

Not quite - the Mother in Law has a similar situation and she lives in deepest, darkest Ayrshire. 

I think it's a thing that came about when private developers started buying tracts of land from farmers etc where there had previously been no roads. Older properties and ones on long existing roads probably do only have land that goes up to the edge of their house/garden.

9 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

No, that is pretty standard across the country, particularly with older properties. The road and pavement will be adopted so the Council effectively control it and it is a public highway but it is often the case the house owner owns to the middle of the road.

If for any reason the road is removed from the adopted roads list, ownership reverts to the original owner.

Sometimes a road remains private but a legal deed compels all the owners to collectively maintain the road, which causes problems because people tend to assume all roads are adopted. 

Most councils maintain an adopted roads list on their websites.

One of those glorious moments that I've only ever heard of happening to other people today. 

Driving into Stirling and a motorbike roared past, overtaking me at a traffic island before swerving around a car in front to get through some traffic lights first. However, he did it in front of the traffic cop behind me, who immediately set off his blue lights and overtook the traffic to pull him over. 

ya beauty!

On 30/10/2021 at 21:17, welshbairn said:

There was a law voted for in 2019 in Holyrood to ban it, but with caveats that have yet to be sorted out with the Councils, like allowing delivery drivers 20 minutes to do it on narrow streets and the like. They're talking about maybe 2023 for implementation. 

I can't wait until this becomes enforceable. I disliked it previously, but it's not until you need the space that you realise how selfish it is. For me it was pushing the wee one in her pram / buggy. At least I could go down a drop kerb and get by somehow. If you were in a wheelchair then you've no chance! Must destroy your self esteem not being able to do things like pop to the shops, because some dick thinks it's fine to dump his car wherever they fancy.

12 minutes ago, Eatmygoal said:

I can't wait until this becomes enforceable. I disliked it previously, but it's not until you need the space that you realise how selfish it is. For me it was pushing the wee one in her pram / buggy. At least I could go down a drop kerb and get by somehow. If you were in a wheelchair then you've no chance! Must destroy your self esteem not being able to do things like pop to the shops, because some dick thinks it's fine to dump his car wherever they fancy.

I've told this story before but, hey-ho. As my wife's condition worsened, there came a point where she couldn't walk more than a few feet so we got her a mobility scooter. It took a while for her to gain confidence, but eventually she managed to use it to get into town with me walking beside her. Then came the time for her to go solo - I was working away in Newcastle. So she got ready to go out - this takes her 2 - 3 hrs without help - and she set off up the road. There was only one practicable route for her to go due to a lack of dropped kerbs so when she came to a pickup parked at one of the dropped kerbs she was stuck. She waited around, hoping the driver would show up, then investigated alternative routes but couldn't find a dropped kerb that didn't put her onto a very busy road with a lot of traffic. In tears, she had to turn around and go home. That destroyed her confidence. Who wants to spend hours getting ready then find their way blocked by some inconsiderate sod parking where they please? It was months before she felt confident enough to go out on her own again. 

28 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

I've told this story before but, hey-ho. As my wife's condition worsened, there came a point where she couldn't walk more than a few feet so we got her a mobility scooter. It took a while for her to gain confidence, but eventually she managed to use it to get into town with me walking beside her. Then came the time for her to go solo - I was working away in Newcastle. So she got ready to go out - this takes her 2 - 3 hrs without help - and she set off up the road. There was only one practicable route for her to go due to a lack of dropped kerbs so when she came to a pickup parked at one of the dropped kerbs she was stuck. She waited around, hoping the driver would show up, then investigated alternative routes but couldn't find a dropped kerb that didn't put her onto a very busy road with a lot of traffic. In tears, she had to turn around and go home. That destroyed her confidence. Who wants to spend hours getting ready then find their way blocked by some inconsiderate sod parking where they please? It was months before she felt confident enough to go out on her own again. 

That story really is heart breaking. 

I don't think people do these things maliciously, but nobody stops to think of the impact their actions have on others. 

When my sister first took our mum out on her wheelchair she came back red faced at all the cars parked on the pavement, and went straight out banging on their doors to complain. When she got back I pointed out where she'd parked the car, with its arse half way across the pavement. ;)

On 30/10/2021 at 20:51, Newbornbairn said:

Council are probably right, if there are no parking restrictions then they will just tell you to go to the police. Though if there are yellow lines, these apply all the way from the road to the buildings so if folk are pavement parking on DYLs the council can do something about it.

At the moment you have the bizarre situation where it is an offence to drive on a footway (pavement) or park a motor vehicle on a cycle track (section 129(5) Roads Scotland Act 1984) but not an offence to actually park on a footway!

On 30/10/2021 at 21:17, welshbairn said:

That would be section 50 onwards of Transport (Scotland) Act 2019. There are exemptions in section 55 however in all cases there still needs to be 1.5 metres of pavement left clear.

And I really don't understand why it hasn't been enacted by now. If it came into force tomorrow, councils wouldn't have the resources to police every pavement so could easily just turn a blind eye to places where they want to exclude from the ban while they do the necessary paperwork.

On 30/10/2021 at 22:51, gmca said:

I remember a policeman saying the law states there must be room for a double buggy to pass any parked vehicles on a pavement. Don't know if that's right or not, but makes sense. Presumably not enforced anywhere.

Not sure there's a specific width in law - might just be general obstruction. Whether you can get the police to actually enforce it is another matter.

On 30/10/2021 at 23:06, Soapy FFC said:

Don't think that matters, because if the road is adopted then the bit at the side of the carriageway is legally the footway as per the Roads Scotland Act.

No doubt the road you are referring to will be shown in green on FC's map: http://arcgisweb.fife.gov.uk/LocalViewExt/Sites/AdoptedRoadsPublic/

3 hours ago, Eatmygoal said:

That story really is heart breaking. 

I don't think people do these things maliciously, but nobody stops to think of the impact their actions have on others. 

I agree - the driver was probably blissfully unaware. 

3 hours ago, Ginaro said:
3 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Not sure there's a specific width in law - might just be general obstruction. Whether you can get the police to actually enforce it is another matter.

Yeah, seems to be covered by the "Obstruction of Highway" Act. Think the policeman must have been giving an example of what might constitute an "unlawful" obstruction.

Section 95 of the Roads Scotland Act 1984 states it is an offence to have mud or dung come off a tractor onto the road to the danger of other road users.

Must remember that one next time I'm behind some clarty fermer on a minging tractor.

Section 95 of the Roads Scotland Act 1984 states it is an offence to have mud or dung come off a tractor onto the road to the danger of other road users.
Must remember that one next time I'm behind some clarty fermer on a minging tractor.
Jesus f**k. Whatever you do don't complain on Facebook about farmers leaving mud on the roads. You'll be hit with a barrage of mewling "We put food on your table" pish. Farmers must be just after ARE BRAVE BOYS in the begging for adulation stakes. Miserable straw-chewing c***s.