c***s on the road

16 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I trust you gestured to him that he was a w****r?

Just laughed as he was doing that to me while flashing his lights.

Not entirely sure how he viewed the incident. 

8 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

They’ve probably just read the bit on the paper part of their licence that says “tear along the dotted line”.

Reveal hidden contents

This joke was brought to you by the year 1982.

See the source image

20 hours ago, thistledo said:

I hate to be that guy, but if you were trying to reach 60 and he struggled to get past you as you gained speed, suggests he was doing no more than 60? 

Or was it a case of he'd slowed down lost momentum and then tried the overtake? Just curious as I absolutely detest c***s that deliberately speed up when being overtaken. 

Haven't explained it very well. When I turned left out of the junction, I could see a small stretch of road to the right and there was nothing. After turning out and starting to pick up speed towards 60, in the few seconds it took for me to get from 0 to say 40/45 this guy had appeared from nowhere so must’ve been going incredibly fast to have reached me in that time, but because I’d been accelerating when he got to me I was at 40/45 still going up to 60. He veers out without looking to go for an overtake and then sees the car on the other side coming head on and shits it and hits the brakes and pulls in behind. I certainly wasn’t accelerating to avoid him overtaking, and if I had panicked and hit the brakes when he was on the other side of the road, it funnily enough would’ve made it far more dangerous as I’d have slowed down into a position where he couldn’t tuck back in.

6 hours ago, Big Rider said:

Ive begun to notice this recently and it’s confirmed following a wee tour in the glorious north west Highlands but there are people who drive down the middle of the road. Not a single track road but a 2 lane road. When someone approaches the other way they pull in to the correct lane only to straddle the white line again when they pass. They approach bends and blind summits whilst straddling the line. It’s utter madness and does my fucking nut in.

Everything is fine, right up until the bit in bold and I agree with you. If nothing coming either way using the fullest extent of the road to avoiding debris lurking in verge and noses being poked out of junctions is perfectly fine. 

I did however also do an advanced driving course about 10 years ago where, if you were contemplating overtaking another car, the instruction was to drive on the wrong side of the road wherever possible - the theory being that you could see past the slower car more easily, they’d be aware something was coming from behind (fnarr) and, on a left hand bend, you’d get an earlier view as to whether it was safe to go. Rather counter intuitive to my own self preservation instincts! 

21 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Haven't explained it very well. When I turned left out of the junction, I could see a small stretch of road to the right and there was nothing. After turning out and starting to pick up speed towards 60, in the few seconds it took for me to get from 0 to say 40/45 this guy had appeared from nowhere so must’ve been going incredibly fast to have reached me in that time, but because I’d been accelerating when he got to me I was at 40/45 still going up to 60. He veers out without looking to go for an overtake and then sees the car on the other side coming head on and shits it and hits the brakes and pulls in behind. I certainly wasn’t accelerating to avoid him overtaking, and if I had panicked and hit the brakes when he was on the other side of the road, it funnily enough would’ve made it far more dangerous as I’d have slowed down into a position where he couldn’t tuck back in.

Ah I see, he's probably lost momentum in his little Fiesta. I drive A roads a lot and the amount of people who speed up or close gaps infuriates me, doesn't matter now with what I drive.

Years ago on an A road in Scotland a couple of lads (knew each other), one in a Porsche and one in a fairly powerful Merc sped up as I was mid overtake to level with me, this was mid straight and a car had just rounded the corner in the distance after their ridiculous manoeuvre, I hit the brakes and they did the same, managed to squeeze in between them. In my mind they deliberately tried to cause a head on. Their driving was very erratic, one minute very quick and the next very slow... Odd couple of lads. I think they were annoyed that I could keep up with them in the corners in my wee old Civic Type R. 

Edited by thistledo

used to work with a boy who moved on to the wrong side of the road to see what was coming round the corner. I told him he's a moron and never want to get in the car with him again. He thought he was pretty smart and found a neat trick.

Also used to go over the speed bumps with the passenger side hitting the bump so he doesn't need to get as bad a "bump"

15 minutes ago, red23 said:

used to work with a boy who moved on to the wrong side of the road to see what was coming round the corner

Flail away (if ya like :)  ) but as long as he's not crossing a solid white line to do so, or it's not something daft like at a blind corner, he's actually not doing too much wrong. IMO. If in fact, he's increasing his field of vision of the corner (into, through, exit), then it could be argued he is in a better position to take the corner as he's a better idea of the all round situation the vehicle is in. Or about to be in.

Obviously, there's a time and a place. I'm not advocating blatantly doing it at every corner but there are situations where moving over, provided it is safe to do so isn't a bad thing. The more you can see, the better. In a similar way to dropping off the vehicle in front of you increases your forward view of oncoming traffic. Instead of sitting right up the arse of whatever is in front, not able to see anything but popping out anyway for a quick look to be met with flashing headlights and a blaring horn of the vehicle coming the other way that's narrowly avoided you. Well not you but you know what I mean. 

FWIW I do it more on the bike than I do in the car. If I can put myself in a better position to see/check/assess the corner vanishing point, adjust my speed accordingly and decide how much road I'm going to use. Then I will. 

FWIW (again) I'll never cross a solid white line. It's never a good idea and Plod most definately does not like it.

If the lad in your example was crossing solid white lines (goin through my mind.............) he's OFTW and [old man mode] his time will come unfortunately [/old man mode].

33 minutes ago, red23 said:

Also used to go over the speed bumps with the passenger side hitting the bump so he doesn't need to get as bad a "bump"

And that's complete arsehole behaviour :lol: 

I was coming off the M74 towards the Kinning park M77 / M8 shamblefest the other night. Passing a line of traffic before intending to return to the inside for the Clyde tunnel junction. The whole time I've got an impatient fanny in a BMW behind me tailgating me (and I was doing just over the speed limit) I'd say perhaps 1-2 metres for the most part. A little further up a BMW X5 decides last minute he doesn't want to go on the M77 cuts in front of the person next to me and then in front of me (impressive pissing off so many people in one manoeuvre) so I brake to avoid hitting one BMW and the BMW tailgating me is close to rear ending me. What is fucking wrong with these c***s?! Fucking impossible as soon as you own a BMW not to be a total dickhead on the road. 

I nearly fucking bought one as well. Don't think I could face becoming a bigger c**t than I already am. 

Edited by thistledo

13 hours ago, Trackdaybob said:

Flail away (if ya like :)  ) but as long as he's not crossing a solid white line to do so, or it's not something daft like at a blind corner, he's actually not doing too much wrong. IMO. If in fact, he's increasing his field of vision of the corner (into, through, exit), then it could be argued he is in a better position to take the corner as he's a better idea of the all round situation the vehicle is in. Or about to be in.

Obviously, there's a time and a place. I'm not advocating blatantly doing it at every corner but there are situations where moving over, provided it is safe to do so isn't a bad thing. The more you can see, the better. In a similar way to dropping off the vehicle in front of you increases your forward view of oncoming traffic. Instead of sitting right up the arse of whatever is in front, not able to see anything but popping out anyway for a quick look to be met with flashing headlights and a blaring horn of the vehicle coming the other way that's narrowly avoided you. Well not you but you know what I mean. 

FWIW I do it more on the bike than I do in the car. If I can put myself in a better position to see/check/assess the corner vanishing point, adjust my speed accordingly and decide how much road I'm going to use. Then I will. 

FWIW (again) I'll never cross a solid white line. It's never a good idea and Plod most definately does not like it.

If the lad in your example was crossing solid white lines (goin through my mind.............) he's OFTW and [old man mode] his time will come unfortunately [/old man mode].

And that's complete arsehole behaviour :lol: 

https://goo.gl/maps/1STqkVazhSZWLeGW7 - road in question, wouldn't want to be the person turning left out of the entrances.

Theres not any real need to "have a peek" to see what's coming round the corner it's a wide road

Edited by red23

1 hour ago, red23 said:

road in question, wouldn't want to be the person turning left out of the entrances.

Theres not any real need to "have a peek" to see what's coming round the corner it's a wide road

I agree. No need there I shouldn't think.

Built up/industrial area? 30/40mph limit? No need at all. 

Watched a police advanced driving thing once that encouraged you to stay in your lane but to go as far left as possible before right hand bends and as far right as possible at left hand bends. Even a couple of feet makes a difference. 

4 hours ago, thistledo said:

I was coming off the M74 towards the Kinning park M77 / M8 shamblefest the other night. Passing a line of traffic before intending to return to the inside for the Clyde tunnel junction. The whole time I've got an impatient fanny in a BMW behind me tailgating me (and I was doing just over the speed limit) I'd say perhaps 1-2 metres for the most part. A little further up a BMW X5 decides last minute he doesn't want to go on the M77 cuts in front of the person next to me and then in front of me (impressive pissing off so many people in one manoeuvre) so I brake to avoid hitting one BMW and the BMW tailgating me is close to rear ending me. What is fucking wrong with these c***s?! Fucking impossible as soon as you own a BMW not to be a total dickhead on the road. 

I nearly fucking bought one as well. Don't think I could face becoming a bigger c**t than I already am. 

The reason most people buy the likes of an X5  is that they can't drive properly and get one full in the knowledge it's larger than most cars on the road so people will generally yield to them to avoid coming off worse. Said inability to drive is therefore compensated for through what is essentially fear.

I have noticed BMWs becoming more and more common recently. I imagine people have gotten fed up leasing Audi A5s and Mercedes C/E classes since every c**t and their dog has one? 

The reason most people buy the likes of an X5  is that they can't drive properly and get one full in the knowledge it's larger than most cars on the road so people will generally yield to them to avoid coming off worse. Said inability to drive is therefore compensated for through what is essentially fear.
I have noticed BMWs becoming more and more common recently. I imagine people have gotten fed up leasing Audi A5s and Mercedes C/E classes since every c**t and their dog has one? 
Range Rovers here. Can't move for them. Annoyingly I think the Evoque is a nice looking motor but I wouldn't buy/lease it as I think they're more a status symbol than anything else [emoji38]

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

Range Rovers here. Can't move for them. Annoyingly I think the Evoque is a nice looking motor but I wouldn't buy/lease it as I think they're more a status symbol than anything else emoji38.png

Assuming you live in a rural area going by your football team, I can almost understand that. But the Evoque would be fucking useless off road or indeed on a snowy country road! 

I've always viewed it as a woman's car tbh. And why are they always in white? 

38 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

White Evoques are almost exclusively driven by coke-addicted chavs and wannabe footballers wives.

Was in Aberdeen last night to see us get no-lube fisted by Cove and I saw about 30 of them.