c***s on the road

46 minutes ago, thistledo said:

This 

and this in spades. Fucking infuriating. Tourists in an Audi S5 went roaring past me last weekend and I'd caught them in the corners then doing sub 40, embarrassing stuff from them tbh. 

Had a number of other belters last weekend up visiting the missus's family in the highlands, highlights being rounding one of the corners at the gorge area on the way to Glencoe to see a woman overtake a heavy plant vehicle on the corner in front of me, a proper emergency brake and she just missed me and the large vehicle. She had time to flash and wave, which was nice I guess. 

Another was on the way home, same road, just a couple of miles outside Glencoe I had literally just said to the missus "man I'd love just a nice steady 60 with no idiot drivers today" I saw a car up ahead emerge at a side road a bit too abrupt, given my proximity I think surely he's stopping? But no, pulls out slowly into my path, having anticipated it I was already slowing down and beeping the horn as he seemed to have no clue other road users exist, he then panics are near enough drives off the road half into the ditch! We're both more or less stopped, I'm trying to usher him to go and he's indicating for me to pass whilst a heavy flow of traffic at about 60 is coming the other way and cars behind approaching at similar speed. Shambles tbh, I overtook shortly after and he gave me a thumbs up... Unclear if this was an apology or acknowledging getting the f**k away from him was a good idea. 

I don't seek to excuse the other driver's poor performance but your beeping the horn only inflamed the situation.

12 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

I don't seek to excuse the other driver's poor performance but your beeping the horn only inflamed the situation.

"Rule 112 of The Highway Code states:

'The horn. Use only while your vehicle is moving and you need to warn other road users of your presence"

Literally used for it's intended purposes. Thanks for stopping by though. 

43 minutes ago, thistledo said:

"Rule 112 of The Highway Code states:

'The horn. Use only while your vehicle is moving and you need to warn other road users of your presence"

Literally used for it's intended purposes. Thanks for stopping by though. 

If you say so. Your earlier post sounded more like a horn sounding in anger, startling the errant driver.

Over the last few days, I've now seen 4 different people come out of a parking space at the end of a one way street, and rather than go round the block/one way system to get to the main road, they've just reversed at full speed. I've also seen a couple reverse down a one way street to acquire a parking space.

Is this an acceptable thing, or am I the one who's a dick* for being angry about it?

*More of a dick than usual.

On 10/06/2021 at 23:35, MP_MFC said:

I had some stupid old cow indicating LEFT going straight through a roundabout, luckily I sensed something was amiss due to her position on the road itself but that was incredibly fucking stupid of her.

It’s funny how you can sometimes just sense that a car is about to do something completely idiotic. I was merging on to the M74 at Polmadie a couple of days ago, inside lane completely clear with only a VW Polo merging on ahead of me.

I sensed idiocy wasn’t far away when the Polo was travelling up the slip road at about 20mph, and as I crossed the line onto the inside lane and started to build up speed, the polo was still crawling along the slip road to the left of me, yet to get in to the inside lane. I slowed down and flashed my lights so that the Polo could get on in front of me, but instead of speeding up and coming on to the motorway the guy came to a complete stop, with half his car now on the hard shoulder and the other half in the inside lane 😐 luckily the rest of the lanes were empty  and I could get in to the middle but I just knew something like that was coming with the manner of his driving. 

It’s funny how you can sometimes just sense that a car is about to do something completely idiotic. I was merging on to the M74 at Polmadie a couple of days ago, inside lane completely clear with only a VW Polo merging on ahead of me.

I sensed idiocy wasn’t far away when the Polo was travelling up the slip road at about 20mph, and as I crossed the line onto the inside lane and started to build up speed, the polo was still crawling along the slip road to the left of me, yet to get in to the inside lane. I slowed down and flashed my lights so that the Polo could get on in front of me, but instead of speeding up and coming on to the motorway the guy came to a complete stop, with half his car now on the hard shoulder and the other half in the inside lane [emoji52] luckily the rest of the lanes were empty  and I could get in to the middle but I just knew something like that was coming with the manner of his driving. 
To go all 'yer da' I'd say anticipating stupidity is the difference between being a driver and a good driver. Any moron can drive a car but knowing what's coming sets people apart. I said to my sister in law when she was learning that getting your licence is the simple part, being wary of the fuckwits on the road is the difficult part.

14 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
42 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I sensed idiocy wasn’t far away when the Polo was travelling up the slip road at about 20mph, and as I crossed the line onto the inside lane and started to build up speed, the polo was still crawling along the slip road to the left of me, yet to get in to the inside lane. I slowed down and flashed my lights so that the Polo could get on in front of me, but instead of speeding up and coming on to the motorway the guy came to a complete stop, with half his car now on the hard shoulder and the other half in the inside lane emoji52.png luckily the rest of the lanes were empty  and I could get in to the middle but I just knew something like that was coming with the manner of his driving. 

To go all 'yer da' I'd say anticipating stupidity is the difference between being a driver and a good driver. Any moron can drive a car but knowing what's coming sets people apart. I said to my sister in law when she was learning that getting your licence is the simple part, being wary of the fuckwits on the road is the difficult part.

I always get wary of people if I spot them drifting over the white lines, even if it’s just slightly, or people who turn in lazily around roundabouts or tight bends. Fine when there’s no one around but if a driver goes into auto pilot mode and assumes there won’t be anyone there it’s a recipe for disaster. 

I’ve got a bit just outside my street that is a tight bend that requires you to slow down to 10-15mph to keep your car within the lane, the only problem is that 9 times out of 10 there is no one coming in the opposite direction and it’s easier to just keep your speed and cut across the corner. However that 1 time out of 10 when you pass someone right on the apex of the corner, most drivers have the learned behaviour that you turn your car in and cut the corner, and it almost comes as a shock to some of them that they need to slow down and drive properly. I’ve thankfully never had an accident there but I’ve been millimetres away from it on multiple occasions. 

8 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Over the last few days, I've now seen 4 different people come out of a parking space at the end of a one way street, and rather than go round the block/one way system to get to the main road, they've just reversed at full speed. I've also seen a couple reverse down a one way street to acquire a parking space.

Is this an acceptable thing, or am I the one who's a dick* for being angry about it?

*More of a dick than usual.

Nah, you're spot on. 

There's a one way system in operation at a retail car park near me, and I've lost count of the times arseholes go the wrong way cos they see a space. They seem to think, if there's nobody coming the right way when they turn in, they'll be ok, but they're doing it blind and end up reversing back out when a car appears going the right way. Basically they're lazy c...s cos there's usually enough spaces.

The people in your case sound like they're even bigger morons.

1 minute ago, parsforlife said:

Pet hate of mine- Queensferry crossing.

Its a motorway,  why the f**k are many still not treating as such?

Still plenty folk shit themselves on a bridge either that or they are sticking it on their Instagram stories.

In supermarket car parks, I generally park a good bit away from the door because I don’t mind the walk and it generally means nobody parking next to me. 

Except today.

Literally 10+ empty spaces either side of me, but no - it had to be the one on my driver side.

What goes through the minds of people like that?

2 minutes ago, The Master said:

In supermarket car parks, I generally park a good bit away from the door because I don’t mind the walk and it generally means nobody parking next to me. 

Except today.

Literally 10+ empty spaces either side of me, but no - it had to be the one on my driver side.

What goes through the minds of people like that?

TBF I’m half tempted to do that.  Just to wind you up.

Someone parking next to you is perfectly acceptable. It really shouldn’t make any difference to you.

On 04/07/2021 at 22:53, parsforlife said:

I think I'm guilty of this. Sorry. My excuse is I still think I'm going over the old bridge which had a speed limit on it.

Someone parking next to you is perfectly acceptable. It really shouldn’t make any difference to you.

There is a special place in hell for people like you.

19 minutes ago, Empty It said:
31 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

There is a special place in hell for people like you

are you that uncomfortable at the thought of getting into your car and exiting a parking spot?

are you that uncomfortable at the thought of getting into your car and exiting a parking spot?
Nah I park like a normal person not miles away from the shop but in an empty car park someone parking right next to you is just strange behaviour.

On 04/07/2021 at 22:53, parsforlife said:

I think the haphazard speed signs cause trouble. Coming onto it from Fife there’s nothing to suggest you’re going onto a motorway and the only visible speed signs are usually the ones for the Forth Bridge which often say 30). People then dawdle up the ramp to join the motorway at about 20mph. On the other side of the water, the sign to show that you’re going from a 50 to a 70 is almost invisible, being some backlit thing out of your line of sight. If you join from Queensferry, again there’s nothing to show you’re in anything other than a 40. 
As a result, you get big bottlenecks as people join the motorway at low speeds. Most weekends there are holdups and I’m guessing much of it is drivers who don’t make the trip as a daily commute.

50 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I think I'm guilty of this. Sorry. My excuse is I still think I'm going over the old bridge which had a speed limit on it.

I’d excuse you Tam. Bits that were 70 are now 50. Bits that were 40 are now 70 and the markings are just not clear enough.