Jump to content
microdave

c***s on the road

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

ūüėā

Enjoy your night mate. 

 

7 hours ago, Perkin Flump said:

I will, last episode of Line of Duty is on, I bet H is a cyclist.

*Morgan Freeman narrates* Perkin Flump did not enjoy his night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a fairly regular cyclist (although miles away from Day of our Lord's level) in Glasgow and have to say it sometimes feels as though I'm the only cyclist that stops at red lights. There's been plenty of occasions when I've stopped at the lights and other cyclists have come up from behind (Kenneth) and just carried on through.

As a driver though, it doesn't get me raging, I just find it rather odd. Deliveroo riders though are something else altogether with no attention to any road rules and no lights or hi-vis in the dark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I'm a fairly regular cyclist (although miles away from Day of our Lord's level) in Glasgow and have to say it sometimes feels as though I'm the only cyclist that stops at red lights. There's been plenty of occasions when I've stopped at the lights and other cyclists have come up from behind (Kenneth) and just carried on through.

As a driver though, it doesn't get me raging, I just find it rather odd. Deliveroo riders though are something else altogether with no attention to any road rules and no lights or hi-vis in the dark.

I think that's it, yeah. I've seen a lot of cyclists just go through the red light but 99% of the time when it happens there's no pedestrians crossing and no traffic either, it's mainly at lights which are purely there to let pedestrians cross, not full on junctions. It is a veeeeery frequent occurrence though imo. I tend to shrug it off, no harm no foul but I think there is an element of "hang on if I did that I'd be running the risk of getting nicked, so why are cyclists allowed to just determine for themselves that its safe for them to ignore the red light and skip past it?" to it.

Saying that I do mind one time going up to maryhill road, filter light was on for me to turn left but thankfully I had a quick look to the right anyway rather than just zooming through. Which was just as well, as a cyclist must have jumped through a red, and if I hadn't checked to my right they'd probably have ended up smacking into the side of my motor as they were going at a good speed themselves. There's not too many incidents that stand out but driving uphill and encountering a cyclist that was going the wrong side of the road shooting me a dirty look was a bit mystifying, they didn't even look like a teenager either, just a gormless jakie.

Have had more arseclenching moments involving motorcycles than cyclists tbh, especially at fucking roundabouts where they'll sometimes try to use an imaginary lane all to themselves and don't seem to care where they are when trying to exit the damn things. Great fun when you're trying to safely give¬†way to the right for traffic already on the roundabout, and suddenly a motorbike zooms by your right side and tries to exit¬†in front of you¬†ūüėź¬†

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/05/2021 at 08:29, Day of the Lords said:

You want P&Bers to clarify a scenario that you've made up? Uh, OK.

Happy to see others pointing out how blinkered you were being there.

Firstly, the clarification I was asking for was the highlighted part of the post I had quoted not my following statement. Wanted to clarify if it is an offence.

Secondly, I live by a lake which is a magnet for cyclists and motorcyclists understandably. Driving around there this happens at almost every set of traffic lights which is far from being made up. Of course, the cyclists slow down to make sure there are no vehicles coming from the other directions before going through but they always do it. Not just the fully kitted out people who are serious cyclists, even the old dears with their messgaes in the baskets on the front. The main problem I have with it is that cyclists correctly want to be treated as a vehicle like any other when on the road so therefore should stop at red lights. No problem with them filtering to the front like motorcycles but they can't have it both ways. "I'm a vehicle but red lights don't apply to me". I honestly can't see where that thinking comes from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/05/2021 at 07:04, jimbaxters said:

Can I ask for clarification from P&Bers on this please?

It's absolutely infuriating when after finally negotiating your way past a cyclist, they go past you again at traffic lights and go through the red light meaning you have to get by them again!

Is it allowed?

On my regular cycling route into town, one of three main arteries into the city centre, the bus/cycle lanes stop about 10 yards from the junction at which point the pavements become shared pedestrian /cycle routes and the crossings are included. So i can legitimately bump up onto the traffic islands and keep going when the traffic lights are at red. 

It works fine early in the morning when there's no pedestrians about but in the evening it's potentially lethal. The cycle path joins the pavement about 2m before a bus stop, leaving about 2ft to get past it. On top of that it's extremely confusing and pedestrians don't expect cyclists to suddenly swerve up beside them. 

If cars have to get past me twice that's just tough titties, no matter how infuriating it may be. In fact, the more infuriating the better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, coprolite said:

On my regular cycling route into town, one of three main arteries into the city centre, the bus/cycle lanes stop about 10 yards from the junction at which point the pavements become shared pedestrian /cycle routes and the crossings are included. So i can legitimately bump up onto the traffic islands and keep going when the traffic lights are at red. 

It works fine early in the morning when there's no pedestrians about but in the evening it's potentially lethal. The cycle path joins the pavement about 2m before a bus stop, leaving about 2ft to get past it. On top of that it's extremely confusing and pedestrians don't expect cyclists to suddenly swerve up beside them. 

If cars have to get past me twice that's just tough titties, no matter how infuriating it may be. In fact, the more infuriating the better. 

It's going through the red light which is infuriating. Your case sounds legit (kind of) but the ones I'm describing are just blatant arsiness.

Edited by jimbaxters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

Happy to see others pointing out how blinkered you were being there.

Firstly, the clarification I was asking for was the highlighted part of the post I had quoted not my following statement. Wanted to clarify if it is an offence.

Secondly, I live by a lake which is a magnet for cyclists and motorcyclists understandably. Driving around there this happens at almost every set of traffic lights which is far from being made up. Of course, the cyclists slow down to make sure there are no vehicles coming from the other directions before going through but they always do it. Not just the fully kitted out people who are serious cyclists, even the old dears with their messgaes in the baskets on the front. The main problem I have with it is that cyclists correctly want to be treated as a vehicle like any other when on the road so therefore should stop at red lights. No problem with them filtering to the front like motorcycles but they can't have it both ways. "I'm a vehicle but red lights don't apply to me". I honestly can't see where that thinking comes from.

ūüėā

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cyclists are only one rung up on the ladder from Tories. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/04/2021 at 05:38, IrishBhoy said:

I have no problem with cyclists on the road in towns or cities, or any section of road where the speed limit is 30mph. I’ve never really experienced any of the stuff mentioned over the last few pages with cyclists being dicks etc. although I have seen a couple of cyclists having a go at drivers for what I assume was passing too close. 
 

Howver when the speed limit on a road is upwards of 40/50mph, and especially on winding backroads with blind corners, that’s when I think cyclists can cause a real danger to themselves and to others. Having a bike sharing the same piece of tarmac as cars, with the bike travelling at speeds of 8-12mph and the cars capable of 40 up to 100+, its an accident waiting to happen. If a car was travelling at the same speed as a cyclist on those sort of roads it would still be extremely dangerous, and if the police were to see a car do that they would pull them over. I used to drive the backroads between Blackburn and the A90 just north of Aberdeen, and almost every morning I would turn a corner doing 40/50mph to be faced with either a row of slow moving vehicles stuck behind a cyclist, or a cyclist themselves. When the difference between the speed limit and the speeds a bike is capable of achieving is as far apart as that, I don’t think it’s safe to have both of those modes of transport sharing the same road. 
 

I was luckily never involved in an accident, but you only had to listen to the local radio to hear about serious crashes happening on those roads almost daily. I’m sure anyone from up that neck of the woods could back me up on that. Not saying that cyclists are the sole reason for that, but their presence on the road has undoubtedly led to accidents. 

Stop driving fast around blind corners then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Happy to see others pointing out how blinkered you were being there.

Firstly, the clarification I was asking for was the highlighted part of the post I had quoted not my following statement. Wanted to clarify if it is an offence.

Secondly, I live by a lake which is a magnet for cyclists and motorcyclists understandably. Driving around there this happens at almost every set of traffic lights which is far from being made up. Of course, the cyclists slow down to make sure there are no vehicles coming from the other directions before going through but they always do it. Not just the fully kitted out people who are serious cyclists, even the old dears with their messgaes in the baskets on the front. The main problem I have with it is that cyclists correctly want to be treated as a vehicle like any other when on the road so therefore should stop at red lights. No problem with them filtering to the front like motorcycles but they can't have it both ways. "I'm a vehicle but red lights don't apply to me". I honestly can't see where that thinking comes from.

Selfish, entitled, thoughtless c****. That's where it comes from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bet plenty of motorists would jump red lights if there was no one around and they thought they could get away with it, especially since so many are apparently in such a massive rush all the time that being delayed 20 seconds sets them off in paroxysms of fury.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I bet plenty of motorists would jump red lights if there was no one around and they thought they could get away with it, especially since so many are apparently in such a massive rush all the time that being delayed 20 seconds sets them off in paroxysms of fury.

Plenty do. Apparently if it's only just turned red in the last few seconds it's fine. But we're not here to talk about people in cars. They're great. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Happy to see others pointing out how blinkered you were being there.

Firstly, the clarification I was asking for was the highlighted part of the post I had quoted not my following statement. Wanted to clarify if it is an offence.

Secondly, I live by a lake which is a magnet for cyclists and motorcyclists understandably. Driving around there this happens at almost every set of traffic lights which is far from being made up. Of course, the cyclists slow down to make sure there are no vehicles coming from the other directions before going through but they always do it. Not just the fully kitted out people who are serious cyclists, even the old dears with their messgaes in the baskets on the front. The main problem I have with it is that cyclists correctly want to be treated as a vehicle like any other when on the road so therefore should stop at red lights. No problem with them filtering to the front like motorcycles but they can't have it both ways. "I'm a vehicle but red lights don't apply to me". I honestly can't see where that thinking comes from.

Not excusing going thru reds, but in some countries (that use the other side of the road) bikes are allowed by law to turn right on red as long as pedestrians are not crossing.

It kinda makes sense as it allows the cyclists to flow ahead of cars etc and takes them out of conflict with other vehicles at some junctions when the light goes green.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

 

Saying that I do mind one time going up to maryhill road, filter light was on for me to turn left but thankfully I had a quick look to the right anyway rather than just zooming through. Which was just as well, as a cyclist must have jumped through a red, and if I hadn't checked to my right they'd probably have ended up smacking into the side of my motor as they were going at a good speed themselves.

Which bit of Maryhill Road? This morning, a cyclist tried to undertake me as I turned left from the filter lane on Cowal Road at the locks. I had been sitting at the red light, and as it turned green, I pulled away, only for the fucker to appear alongside my rear passenger window

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Which bit of Maryhill Road? This morning, a cyclist tried to undertake me as I turned left from the filter lane on Cowal Road at the locks. I had been sitting at the red light, and as it turned green, I pulled away, only for the fucker to appear alongside my rear passenger window

Shiskine Drive so pretty darn close to your incident too, yep, have been up and down that way a fair few times! Yeah I'm always a bit wary there as that filter lane for going left is pretty wide. Think as its dead steep coming up usually cyclists will hang back to take a breather at a red light rather than exert themselves all the way up, or even just go onto the pavement to cross over at the pedestrian crossing; there is a little box for cyclists to position ahead but I think that one rarely gets used.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Not excusing going thru reds, but in some countries (that use the other side of the road) bikes are allowed by law to turn right on red as long as pedestrians are not crossing.

It kinda makes sense as it allows the cyclists to flow ahead of cars etc and takes them out of conflict with other vehicles at some junctions when the light goes green.

In America you can turn right at a red light if all is clear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

Not excusing going thru reds, but in some countries (that use the other side of the road) bikes are allowed by law to turn right on red as long as pedestrians are not crossing.

It kinda makes sense as it allows the cyclists to flow ahead of cars etc and takes them out of conflict with other vehicles at some junctions when the light goes green.

I've seen that system work very well in the States and think it would be a good idea here for both vehicles and bicycles .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Rugster said:

In America you can turn right at a red light if all is clear. 

And if not?

Fuckit, you have an AK47 in the back seat, nobody is telling you what to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

√ó
√ó
  • Create New...