c***s on the road

Leaving Tesco at Hermiston Gait yesterday this red car is sat at the big roundabout at the red light and then just jumps the red when it's clear from the right she didn't even react when I blasted the horn, clearly in her own little world and will be brought out the world when a truck blasts through the side of her car.

5 minutes ago, 101 said:

Leaving Tesco at Hermiston Gait yesterday this red car is sat at the big roundabout at the red light and then just jumps the red when it's clear from the right she didn't even react when I blasted the horn, clearly in her own little world and will be brought out the world when a truck blasts through the side of her car.

22 hours ago, Ginaro said:

A thread detailing just how shit the police are at dealing with c***s on the road. If you want to get away with road crime, just say you can't remember the incident and the police will downgrade it to careless driving and then not bother to pass it to the PF in time for charges to be brought.

If he knows wher the guy lives, just torch his car.

They were not a Cnut, but I was next to a Lamborghini today at some traffic lights. When I got home, I checked it’s reg plate to try and find out which model it was. Turns out it failed it’s mot today before passing a resit. It failed because its Tyre pressure monitoring system was defective. Thought that might have just been an advisory rather than the Major defect that it was classified as. It was a lovely looking Huracan but in a rather unappealing shade of Green.

23 hours ago, 101 said:

There's a through lane on the left there for going into the lane for Calder Road and I don't think you need to stop at the lights. If going onto the M8 or the bypass for the airport then it's quite advisable to stop at the red light!

So this discussion of intersections and behaviors makes me wonder how British drivers react to right on red in the U.S.? Is Left on Red something that might gain any traction in the UK?

For those unclear, Right on Red is allowed unless a sign is posted prohibiting it nearly everywhere in the U.S., the exception being New York City (probably a pedestrian issue). The basic concept is a driver who has fully stopped at a red light may proceed to make a right turn when traffic safely allows it. All other traffic has right-of-way over the vehicle turning right on red, as do the rare pedestrians. There are a few locations where even a left on red is allowed, coming from a one way road onto another one way road, and a few dual right turn on red lanes as well.

7 hours ago, TxRover said:

So this discussion of intersections and behaviors makes me wonder how British drivers react to right on red in the U.S.? Is Left on Red something that might gain any traction in the UK?

For those unclear, Right on Red is allowed unless a sign is posted prohibiting it nearly everywhere in the U.S., the exception being New York City (probably a pedestrian issue). The basic concept is a driver who has fully stopped at a red light may proceed to make a right turn when traffic safely allows it. All other traffic has right-of-way over the vehicle turning right on red, as do the rare pedestrians. There are a few locations where even a left on red is allowed, coming from a one way road onto another one way road, and a few dual right turn on red lanes as well.

It would make complete sense if drivers could get the hang of giving way to pedestrians at junctions but until that is mastered I don't think we can trust them not to make an arse of it.

8 hours ago, tamthebam said:

There's a through lane on the left there for going into the lane for Calder Road and I don't think you need to stop at the lights. If going onto the M8 or the bypass for the airport then it's quite advisable to stop at the red light!

Yes this was someone going to the Gyle roundabout.

1 hour ago, 101 said:

It would make complete sense if drivers could get the hang of giving way to pedestrians at junctions but until that is mastered I don't think we can trust them not to make an arse of it.

Not only that, based on my experiences where I currently am, most of the pedestrian crossings are almost on the corner so drivers are upon them as soon as they turn right so it's not entirely safe. Often these corners can be blind due to trees, bushes etc adding to the danger. I suppose the USA has designed all of this into their road planning but expensive to retrofit for some other countries.  

9 hours ago, TxRover said:

It would certainly speed up darwinism

10 hours ago, TxRover said:

The first time I drove a car in the US I picked it up right in the centre of downtown San Francisco and had to navigate my way out to drive north. I was getting honked at at every intersection and eventually remembered I was allowed to turn right at a red light.

I was vaguely aware of the rule beforehand but didn't know if it applied everywhere, so just played it safe and either followed other traffic or waited to see if a seething local driver beeped at me first.

2 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

The first time I drove a car in the US I picked it up right in the centre of downtown San Francisco and had to navigate my way out to drive north. I was getting honked at at every intersection and eventually remembered I was allowed to turn right at a red light.

I was vaguely aware of the rule beforehand but didn't know if it applied everywhere, so just played it safe and either followed other traffic or waited to see if a seething local driver beeped at me first.

Similar for me. Got a big Tahoe at San Francisco airport and had to drive into the centre to find the hotel. In honesty, I can't remember the right at red thing but navigating around the centre was bananas. Same goes for getting into Los Angeles but on the up side outside the cities, the highways between major cities are a dream. 

48 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Similar for me. Got a big Tahoe at San Francisco airport and had to drive into the centre to find the hotel. In honesty, I can't remember the right at red thing but navigating around the centre was bananas. Same goes for getting into Los Angeles but on the up side outside the cities, the highways between major cities are a dream. 

This them? -

image.jpeg.dbfdea814730ff4d1868489e9e782fbe.jpeg

11 hours ago, TxRover said:

As a high percentage cannot work out a green  left filter light allowing a left turn against a red straight ahead light I doubt it. and with pedestrians would be a disaster

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

Spoiler

toes GIF

4 hours ago, 101 said:

That’s the one item that gives me pause. In many places in the U.S., a pedestrian is about as rare as hens teeth. I reside in a mid-distance suburb, but during any given drive I would expect to see a pedestrian on less than 20% of my drives, except on the jogging/bike trail in the area, which has grade separated crossings on most roads in the busy portion, or dog walkers near apartments.

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

The impatience of people, myself included, on those that exercise their right NOT to turn right on red is eye-opening. I’ll mutter, but not honk, because it’s irritating when there’s a clear opportunity, but most drivers blast away (and, yes, I mean that in both contexts).

The interesting little tidbit here is that School Buses are specifically prohibited from making a Right on Red, by national law. In the same manner, a School Bus must stop before a railway crossing, open the door and drivers side window, check both directions, close the door (and window, if desired), and may then cross the railway tracks, even at a fully signaled crossing…and this applies even if another School Bus just did the same immediately in front of them.

On highways, the difference in mental planning between rural/suburban and urban travel time planning is significant, and the difference between the U.S. and the UK for travel time/distance is unimaginable to most Yanks.

13 hours ago, TxRover said:

They have this in North Macedonia. 

On my first visit many years ago I was nearly done in by a Zastava (Yugo) which would have been an embarassing death. 

30 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

They want to learn to put clear glass in them. 

Amusingly the argument is one of making the bus driver listen for a train horn. Of course, all the crossings in my area are silent crossings, train horns prohibited, due to gates and high kerbs…by the time you hear a train horn, it’s too late, as they only sound it in absolute emergency in these areas.