c***s on the road

8 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I’d also like to nominate people with no children, or with children who are far too old for it to matter, parking in a parent and child space.

Seems to be a particular favourite of white van men.

Sainsburys parent and child spaces explicitly say "up to 12 years old" so i park there with kids. Morrisons say "Parent and Toddler" so i don't. Asda just says "parent and child" so technically i think my Dad could give me a lift to the shops and we could park there. 

Just to expand a wee bit on this. My cousin was on the phone to my mum talking about a relative who had given her a lift into Alloa. This relative stopped in a disabled bay to let my cousin out. Then decided to just park the car and go to the shop with my cousin. 

The phone call, from what I can gather, was full of "it was only 5 minutes" stuff. Anyway, they got back to the car and it had been ticketed. She was expecting my mum to have some sympathy but all she got was a firm "Good!"

My dad can hardly walk these days. At Forth Valley hospital the car park is horrendous, people parking on pavements and so on. But the disabled bays are always taken by cars with no blue badges. So they have to park quite far away. I'm going with them this week so I can go in and grab a wheelchair to push him the miles and miles from the car, wherever it ends up getting parked, to his appointment. 

7 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Just to expand a wee bit on this. My cousin was on the phone to my mum talking about a relative who had given her a lift into Alloa. This relative stopped in a disabled bay to let my cousin out. Then decided to just park the car and go to the shop with my cousin. 

The phone call, from what I can gather, was full of "it was only 5 minutes" stuff. Anyway, they got back to the car and it had been ticketed. She was expecting my mum to have some sympathy but all she got was a firm "Good!"

My dad can hardly walk these days. At Forth Valley hospital the car park is horrendous, people parking on pavements and so on. But the disabled bays are always taken by cars with no blue badges. So they have to park quite far away. I'm going with them this week so I can go in and grab a wheelchair to push him the miles and miles from the car, wherever it ends up getting parked, to his appointment. 

You will be careful, won't you, pushing the wheelchair past the errantly parked cars?

8 hours ago, pozbaird said:

watching out for those dark blue Tesla knobheads. 😜

The sheer amount of newish Tesla's on the road is quite something. 

I see so many of them circulating the free chargers near me desperate to get on- that will no doubt stop once Glasgow City Council starts charging for leccy soon. 

51 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

You will be careful, won't you, pushing the wheelchair past the errantly parked cars?

Would be terrible if a stray piece of the wheelchair scraped all the way down the side of said vehicle, eh? Any option for spiked spinners on wheelchairs?

On 19/02/2023 at 17:50, Derry Alli said:

It's happily getting to a point in the year where having LED helicopter search lights on the front of your car/van at 7am is no longer required and I will once again be able to drive to and from my home without fear of being Mike Skinner'd.

Good reference sir.

On 20/02/2023 at 17:11, flyingscot said:

The sheer amount of newish Tesla's on the road is quite something. 

I see so many of them circulating the free chargers near me desperate to get on- that will no doubt stop once Glasgow City Council starts charging for leccy soon. 

I think a lot them are due to business purchases / leases due to tax efficiency with the 0% or 1% benefit in kind. Company I work for more or less provide a Model 3 as standard for any company cars. 

45 minutes ago, thistledo said:

I think a lot them are due to business purchases / leases due to tax efficiency with the 0% or 1% benefit in kind. Company I work for more or less provide a Model 3 as standard for any company cars. 

Also upfront tax relief for the full cost of the car (assuming 100% business use) for the business owner. Ideal for the "self employed" sales person. 

59 minutes ago, thistledo said:

I think they don't have as long lead times as other electric cars too. Some of the delivery times for electric cars are 12 months plus. 

Not sure I like everything being on that touch screen and the Apple shop feel of the interior but each to their own. 

On 20/02/2023 at 17:10, coprolite said:

Sainsburys parent and child spaces explicitly say "up to 12 years old" so i park there with kids. Morrisons say "Parent and Toddler" so i don't. Asda just says "parent and child" so technically i think my Dad could give me a lift to the shops and we could park there. 

To take it a step further, technically anyone with a child could give you a lift to Asda and park there. 

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

Also upfront tax relief for the full cost of the car (assuming 100% business use) for the business owner. Ideal for the "self employed" sales person. 

Indeed. I was tempted as well, but tax law changes meant it wasn't worth it for me. A friend of mine actually has the model Y on order, which actually sounds like a decent family car. If you don't have to do any long drives regularly, the idea of having to stop at some shitty service station to wait for a fast charge sounds pish or worse, there isn't a fast charge on the way. 

1 hour ago, flyingscot said:

I think they don't have as long lead times as other electric cars too. Some of the delivery times for electric cars are 12 months plus. 

Not sure I like everything being on that touch screen and the Apple shop feel of the interior but each to their own. 

Yeah the touch screen thing is annoying as hell, more of knobs n buttons kinda guy, easier to adjust while driving. 

56 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Tesla is the Apple of the car world. They attract a cultish devotion and weird hype culture for no apparent reason. 

Better comparison would be Commodore or such. A niche early market dominator with a good basic product, tarted up with a snobbish user base. In the end, the quality of the machines was not up to snuff, and the design stayed mostly frozen so long it was passed up. In the end, Tesla is likely to be a company focused on charge delivery rather than vehicles.

43 minutes ago, thistledo said:

Indeed. I was tempted as well, but tax law changes meant it wasn't worth it for me. A friend of mine actually has the model Y on order, which actually sounds like a decent family car. If you don't have to do any long drives regularly, the idea of having to stop at some shitty service station to wait for a fast charge sounds pish or worse, there isn't a fast charge on the way. 

Yeah the touch screen thing is annoying as hell, more of knobs n buttons kinda guy, easier to adjust while driving. 

The newer competitors are significantly improving the charge times, even on weaker supplies, so the supituation is slowly improving.

The touchscreen is iffy while driving simply due to bumps and distraction. Physical buttons are superior, and I’d expect in the long run that car control screens will evolve like aircraft ones, to have fixed buttons around the perimeter, all serving multiple functions depending on the actual screen in use. My pet peeve is the Tesla over-the-air updates, which lead to a s**tload of questions, and will likely eventually see a huge number of Tesla’s either stranded or bricked by a malicious actor hacking the system.

On 16/02/2023 at 22:18, Soapy FFC said:

The 'proper' route for HGV's to take is a further half mile up the main road. The only reason the HGV was going the way he was was to cut a half mile or so off his journey.

just meant driving a hvg on a road  with a “not suitable for hgv “  road sign  in itself doesn’t make him a c**t (or illegal), but a bit  of a touchy subject, as I’ve been called one myself for safely using roads with one 😂

I walked past an absolute c**t parked in a white Jaguar yesterday. As he drove off he nonchalantly dropped his half finished coffee and cup out the window. Not the worst crime in the world I know, but the sheer arrogance of this dickhead coming to our village and leaving his trash in the middle of the main street friggin' annoyed me. His young son was in the car with him. Great example of piss poor parenting.

Edited by Harry Briscoe Esq

4 hours ago, Harry Briscoe Esq said:

I walked past an absolute c**t parked in a white Jaguar yesterday. As he drove off he nonchalantly dropped his half finished coffee and cup out the window. Not the worst crime in the world I know, but the sheer arrogance of this dickhead coming to our village and leaving his trash in the middle of the main street friggin' annoyed me. His young son was in the car with him. Great example of piss poor parenting.

Texas has an amusing program on littering. There’s a website and an app that allows people to report littering. You need to enter a license plate, a vehicle type, a vehicle colour, a time and a location…plus optionally which person in the vehicle littered and what. They take the input and validate it versus the vehicle database, and if they get a match they send you a letter that you were seen littering and an in car trash bag.

The other option is:

Wouldn’t work in the U.S., as he’d get shot.

5 hours ago, Harry Briscoe Esq said:

Judging by the amount of litter at the roadside the number of people who do this in Scotland must be considerable.

Must be some on here give how common it seems. Total c**t behaviour though.

12 minutes ago, Eatmygoal said:

Judging by the amount of litter at the roadside the number of people who do this in Scotland must be considerable.

Must be some on here give how common it seems. Total c**t behaviour though.

Never been able to do it myself, just makes me wonder what they are thinking?

14 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Never been able to do it myself, just makes me wonder what they are thinking?

Why would it even cross your mind! Can understand an apple core etc. But just drive home and put your rubbish in the bin.

This country despite liking to portray itself as being pro community, anti Tory etc etc is full of selfish self centred arseholes.