c***s on the road

I had a real experience of an often mentioned driving cliche the other day. Behind a car on the 60mph section of Belssdyke Road down to Skinflats. Did 38 the whole way. Kept that up all the way through the 30 at Skinflats, then a slight increase to 40 right tgroight Grangemouth. 

Bell end. 

And to add to this, a council van clearly irate at this, placed itself about a car length if that off my rear bumper.

13 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Is it just me, or has there been a steady increase in drivers flagrantly just breaking rules in the past few years?

Jumping red lights, parking in disabled bays without a concession card, stopping in hatched areas, ignoring zones for cyclists at traffic lights. 

Yes, From my flat I can watch can watch delivery vehicles, post office vans, geoamey vehicles for the courts, taxis and general cars ignore no entry signs on a one way street multiple times a day, even passing police police cars coming up the hill the correct way, without reaction from the Police.   

9 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

You had traffic lights?

In Dundee? Behave!

Joking apart (Yes, I was joking) but where I am now they are a relatively new thing and several of the bus routes actually designate 'Traffic Light' as one of the stops so at some time in the not-so-distant past there must have been only one set! 

24 minutes ago, hk blues said:

In Dundee? Behave!

Joking apart (Yes, I was joking) but where I am now they are a relatively new thing and several of the bus routes actually designate 'Traffic Light' as one of the stops so at some time in the not-so-distant past there must have been only one set! 

Our nearest town (population 4,220) has 2 mini roundabouts, one of which has yellow hatching, 3 sets of traffic lights (all 3 with pedestrian crossings), 1 zebra crossing and innumerable sleeping policemen. Needless to say, the majority of drivers have no idea how to use the roundabouts and pretend the hatching doesn't exist.

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Our nearest town (population 4,220) has 2 mini roundabouts, one of which has yellow hatching, 3 sets of traffic lights (all 3 with pedestrian crossings), 1 zebra crossing and innumerable sleeping policemen. Needless to say, the majority of drivers have no idea how to use the roundabouts and pretend the hatching doesn't exist.

I'm racking my brains but can't think of any roundabouts (circles to us enlightened folk) in the city itself but we have one in our community which folk use loosely at the best i.e. they will go around it whatever way is quickest!  Sleeping policeman were a recent addition in our area and they are effective - too effective if that's possible as many taxi drivers with busted exhausts will testify. To be fair, they are almost invisible at night as the yellow paint they use is as cheap as it gets and fades quickly in our environment.   I don't drive here because it's genuinely baffling and the basic rule is the biggest car has priority - there is no such thing as a car without a scratch/bump/dent etc.  50% of drivers have no licence and likely more have no insurance. 

15 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Is it just me, or has there been a steady increase in drivers flagrantly just breaking rules in the past few years?

Jumping red lights, parking in disabled bays without a concession card, stopping in hatched areas, ignoring zones for cyclists at traffic lights. 

It's absolutely incredible the amount of people I see blazing through red lights.

I've noticed a thing recently, particularly with temporary traffic lights at roadworks, where the lights change to road, car stops at the lights and the car behind them pulls out and drives through the red light. Obviously assuming there's enough of a gap between the lights turning to green at the other end.

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I've noticed a thing recently, particularly with temporary traffic lights at roadworks, where the lights change to road, car stops at the lights and the car behind them pulls out and drives through the red light. Obviously assuming there's enough of a gap between the lights turning to green at the other end.

They're correct in that assumption - providing they can see the traffic coming from the other direction.

However, I've never risked it.

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Back to work today in my Duster. No arsehole driving cut me up, tailgated me or anything. Glad to leave the Fiat 500 at home. Much more relaxed.

Except of course being undertaken briefly on the M9 by a guy on the hard shoulder.

Maybe this why school run and shopping maws usually seem to drive 4x4 tanks.

Edited by welshbairn

8 hours ago, RH33 said:

Parking is a bit limited in my street. Houses built 50 years ago when cars less common.

Yet the BMW always feels the need to take two spaces. 

I parked my car in front when I returned. As close as I could.

IMG_20230202_172151136.jpg

Distribute a few flyers in the area:

”Dear Neighbours, in an effort to reduce a number of persons citing dangerously through parking areas throughout the area, the Council has agreed to a trial of concealing a limited number of obsolete spike strips in the stop lines of select parking spots. These spikes require at least 250 kg of pressure to crush, and expose a spike, and are thus pedestrian safe. For your and your vehicles safety, please avoid driving over the end lines in parking spaces.”

Edited by TxRover

14 minutes ago, TxRover said:

”Dear Neighbours, in an effort to reduce a number of persons citing dangerously through parking areas throughout the area, the Council has agreed to a trial of concealing a limited number of obsolete spike strips in the stop lines of select parking spots. These spikes require at least 250 kg of pressure to crush, and expose a spike, and are thus pedestrian safe. For your and your vehicles safety, please avoid driving over the end lines in parking spaces.”

I'd just put a note on their window "Can you not park or are you just a c**t on the road?"

1 minute ago, Soapy FFC said:

I'd just put a note on their window "Can you not park or are you just a c**t on the road?"

A) They drive a BMW, that answers part 2.

B) They drive a BMW, so they can’t help themselves but park like that, see #1 above.

4 hours ago, RH33 said:

We're getting enough leaflets from the Patriotic Alternative at the moment!

The Ferret has now learned that PA Scotland plans to deliver leaflets in Erskine which urge people to complain about asylum seekers to local politicians. PA’s leaflet states: “It’s time to tell the SNP to prioritise housing and funding for local people instead of economic migrants.”

The far right group is also targeting football supporters’ sites on social media, The Ferret understands, in a bid to drum up support for its protests. 

Unfortunately neither the SNP nor Ibrox run the Home Office so I think they're missing the target.

https://theferret.scot/far-right-racial-hatred-erskine-asylum-seekers/

16 hours ago, TxRover said:

They won't understand what citing means.  

I don't understand what citing means.